Best graphics settings to use?

RZetlin

Spaceman
I have a Geforce 2 MX video card and I wonder what are the best settings to use get the best visual effects.

Here are my settings so far:

Video: Very High Detail
Optimized: Display List
PerPixelLighting: Reflective Lighting
Resolution: 1024x768
Colour: 32 bit

What does PerPixelLighting and Optimized do?

optimized should stay at display list

per pixel lighting makes certain ships partially reflective---many ppl think that specular is the best setting there

your card is a bit weak for your settings above...I suggest moving to 800x600 window size and High Detail--otherwise you may get slowdowns

hellcatv said:
per pixel lighting makes certain ships partially reflective---many ppl think that specular is the best setting there

Strange when I check the manual specular have the reflection setting turned off.

In order of detail:

Specular: just adds specularity, nothing fancy. Reflections disabled.
Reflective: Reflections enabled.
Specular Per pixel lighting: adds modulated specularity (partially specular) - not exactly what 3D jargon means by per pixel lighting, but looks nice.
Reflective per pixel: Reflections modulated (like specularity). Includes per pixel specularity. (Some models use reflection, others use specularity). Highest lighting setting.

I would recommend using always Reflective per pixel Lighting, as the performance drop is minimal with any video card. A TNT can handle it, so most certainly a GeForce 2 will also handle it without slowdowns.

hellcatv said:
many ppl think that specular is the best setting there
Actually, for 1.0 per pixel lighting (not reflective, just specular) is the best option. I got used to the CVS .exe, which behaves differently there. Reflections are great, but in 1.0 if you have reflections you don't have specularity, and I prefer specularity. But it's a matter of taste. You should try both.

Back