Battlestar Galactica on SCI-FI.com - WOW!

I bet everybody is going to be chanting that Raptor song at Dragon*Con next year.

(I'm moving the BSG thread to Off Topic because... well, it's off topic.)

The CGI zoom, I felt was never really used in the combat scenes, but was used quite effectively in changing the focus from ship to ship.

Conrad said:
The CGI zoom, I felt was never really used in the combat scenes, but was used quite effectively in changing the focus from ship to ship.

I think the intentions are well met. Thanks PeteyG! You pretty much sumed up what i woulda said. The feel for zooming helps imply the significance to each detail in any dramatic situation, be it a dogfight. I mean, if the style of camera shots were an issue, then I would say that both Borg and Vulcan Logic would suggest that BSG wouldn't be getting the awesome ratings it has been getting, and its still getting better! The implemented changes and style are unique, and I feel they bring out the most of each scene. I feel the intentions are to give us a simulated memory as if we witnessed these events through our own eyes, the way we sometimes focus our attention we can pay attention to the smaller details. Camera zoomage? I think its done on purpose to convert people to like BSG by implanting those feelings of "Wow, this show really kicks some assssssssssssssss......" :-p

Oh yeah. Starbuck better not die... She's cute.... ^_^

( \_/ )
( ^_^ ) Rabbits are cool...
(]><[)

I mean, if the style of camera shots were an issue, then I would say that both Borg and Vulcan Logic would suggest that BSG wouldn't be getting the awesome ratings it has been getting, and its still getting better!

Except the "logic" of claiming a direct relationship between quality and ratings would then go on to say that American Idol is the most well made show on TV.

hehe,

There are some pretty memorable CGI scenes in BSG, I think theres one in the next epsiode if im not mistaken. you can feel the tension. The show only got better for me after this two parter.

Bandit LOAF said:
Except the "logic" of claiming a direct relationship between quality and ratings would then go on to say that American Idol is the most well made show on TV.

Dag... Borg/Vulcan logic just got served.... Good thing i'm Ferhangi...

I'm just waiting to see that second part! MMM.. Juicy!

Last week, on Enterprise! Trip and Reed are stranded while on a mission and must escape by learning to fly an alien warship! This thread made fun of me for daring to compare this story to Battlestar Galactica (... which I didn't do, but that's another point alltogether).

This week, on Battlestar Galactica! Starbuck is stranded while on a mission and must escape by learning to fly an alien warship! We can recycle all our geeky science complaints, too -- Trip and Reed ignore the laws of physics with magnet boots... and then Starbuck spends the first act desperately searching for an alien tube to suck oxygen out of -- only to promptly forget that she has to do that to stay alive. (And is then able to tape her name under the ship and learn to replace its brain in a matter of hours!)

Starbuck could have used an effeminite British guy to tag along, too... because her monologues were really, really awkward. ('Okay, no one, this is how you fly a spaceship...'). Also: having your characters stand around pointing out how your story doesn't make sense isn't a way to get around having a story that doesn't make sense.

I did like the ending, though (the moral, that is, not the cookie cutter we'll-jump-more-slowly-than-usual-so-Starbuck-can-dramatically-appear-at-the-last-minute-which-the-viewers-already-know-is-going-to-happen part) -- and after making such a big deal (and an obnoxious miniseries) about how edgy and modern this Battlestar Galactica is, the characters really still are just a big space family.

Visuals are also still great. The dialogue/action related military lip service isn't quite doing it for me, though - it takes more than shouting 'Action Stations' every once in a while for that aspect of the show to feel right.

Also -- how do they choose what threads to follow up on? Last week, Baltar was just about to get a nuclear weapon... and now we're back to more scenes which seem to only exist to remind us that he has a Cylon Sex Robot in his head. And the President was about to do something with her breast cancer in the first part... but in the followup the C-plot in the followup was about the Raptor guy stuck On The Beach.

BSG Ep. 5

Personally I thought this weeks episode was exceptional. The character development between Adama and Starbuck was truly there. I really felt the chemestry by the end of the episode.

I do agree that the whole waiting
Bandit LOAF said:
cookie cutter we'll-jump-more-slowly-than-usual-so-Starbuck-can-dramatically-appear-at-the-last-minute-which-the-viewers-already-know-is-going-to-happen part
was very cheesy and it was obvious...everyone watching more than likely noticed it, but I think it was still ok.

I did really love the interaction between Adama and Starbuck when she was in the hospital. It was just so touching how we were able to see Starbuck get forgiven. It was just a touching scene. Adama's facial expressions really showed the scene and the feeling.

After seeing this episode I have a lot of excitement about the course of the series. This is the series that has a chance of finally being like Star Trek The Next Generation - having characters that you can really get attached to and feel the emotion behind their dialogue.

Well, it seemed to me that either the Cylon fighter is superior to the Viper, or Starbuck can kick Apollo's ass in a dogfight. Apollo even got to start on her 6 and she still managed to lose him and pull up behind him! Of course Apollo hasn't done exceptionally well as a fighter pilot so far. He managed to take out a cap ship missile, but it in turn knocked out his ship systems. Then his ship was knocked out of commission again by Cylon fighters. If it wasn't for Starbuck, he would've been left behind on the first jump. Eisen would've chewed him out several times by now! I guess having your dad as commander has its advantages.

PeteyG said:
Hot Dog looks white, too! Hokey smokes!

Spien, where are you picking up the ratings info?

http://www.syfyportal.com/ gets around to reporting the ratings eventually. How accurate they are I'm not sure.

Anyway, I felt this episode was a throwback to the original series... not to mention its resemblance to the 1980 episode "The Return of Starbuck" which also featured Starbuck stranded on a desert planet, talking to himself before happening upon a crashed Cylon Raider.

It was fun and interesting, though a little corny in several ways and it wasn't as dark and dramatic as other episodes. I think it was a good break from the norm and that Katee Sackhoff is getting better at portraying Starbuck.

All in all I had fun, and that's what sci-fi is all about in my opinion. Enterprise wasn't so bad either, I like that all the species are really starting to gell together in the alliance and they're finally getting deeper into the early formation of the Federation.

battlestar_galactica_2003_06.jpg

She's a little Hottie :D

I consider myself fortunate to never see this show.

I also consider myself fortunate to have missed out on B5, Forever Knight, Highlander and various other shitty fanboy shows.

not really alot happened in that episode.

The next one has an "explosive" start and if i remember correctly was a pretty good episode.

Different story threads tend to get picked up and continued then left for a bit almost continulary throughout the series.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Well, it seemed to me that either the Cylon fighter is superior to the Viper, or Starbuck can kick Apollo's ass in a dogfight. Apollo even got to start on her 6 and she still managed to lose him and pull up behind him! Of course Apollo hasn't done exceptionally well as a fighter pilot so far. He managed to take out a cap ship missile, but it in turn knocked out his ship systems. Then his ship was knocked out of commission again by Cylon fighters. If it wasn't for Starbuck, he would've been left behind on the first jump. Eisen would've chewed him out several times by now! I guess having your dad as commander has its advantages.

Truly one of the weakest moments of the episode...amazingly Starbuck is able to fly a damaged Cylon (well wait she patched that one tiny hole with her handy knapsack) and out fly and out maneuver Apollo even though SHE HAS NO VISIBLE INSTRUMENTS OR VIEW OF OUTSIDE THE CYLON RAIDER! Hmm...

Don't get me wrong, I still love the show but it does have moments where even I want to start throwing popcorn at the screen. Apollo grabbing the commander by the lapels? Not in your dreams, buster, I'm not in the military but I know enough to know you do not lay hands on a superior officer. That's a one way trip to the brig... Furthermore, Commander Adamo (sp?) dismissing his executive officer for reminding him of his duty and committment to the fleet? Um...whatever.

Anyway, still a good show...let's see how it develops.

TopGun said:
She's a little Hottie :D
Oh yeah, no doubt.

It is entertaining to read all of the thoughts posted in these threads about BSG, both the praises for and the knocks against the new show. Me? I've truly enjoyed it- the first time I've made it a point to be in front of a television regularly in I can't remember how long (excluding Monday Night Football). I've read some good analysis here, and I know some of you are merely attempting to forward the discussion so to speak, but it seems as if others genuinely have a difficult time just turning down the lights, kicking off their shoes, and enjoying a pretty good hour of Science Fiction television without feeling like they have to beat it to death. Too bad.

I've read some good analysis here, and I know some of you are merely attempting to forward the discussion so to speak, but it seems as if others genuinely have a difficult time just turning down the lights, kicking off their shoes, and enjoying a pretty good hour of Science Fiction television without feeling like they have to beat it to death. Too bad.

I think most of the criticism in this thread has been pretty well thought out and well intentioned.

It's confirmed that the show's been picked up for a second season by TV Guide and Scifiwire.

How many episodes will be produced in the second season and which cast members will be returning is still unknown however.

Back