Backing up WC4 CD version into DVD version(NOTHING TO DO WITH PIRACY)

Karthik@KANE

Spaceman
Ok, what I'm about to ask may sound taboo or worse, you'll instantly lock this thread without further investigation. Now I'll be getting my copy of WC4 CD version(DOS version) from a friend of mine. I would like to know if any of you attempted to take all 6CDs and cram into a DVD.

I know that it's possible to store all 6CDs on the HDD in ISO or whater image format, burn into a DVD and them mount it onto mounting tools. However, that technique only applys for the Windows version since all the mounting tool are Windows based. And frankly speaking I hate using Daemon or any other mounting tools cause they tend to conflict with my new games.

So you guys have any suggestion?

Well it turns out that his copy of WC4 is in fact pirated.......GOTCHA......lol seriously it's the real thing...as in for....LEGAL VERSION.

Sure. If, however, it remains "his copy" you really aren't supposed to make one for yourself :) If you buy it (or get it as a gift from him) it's kosher, much less so to make a copy while he hangs on to it. Consider that a disclaimer not an accusation. Anyone who hangs around here has to know already what's allowed :D

Dunno if it would work with WC4, but I have done somewhat similar things to get games to load in Wine. Some multi CD games let me copy their entire contents to a single folder on the hard drive and the installer can then be run from there without having to worry about swapping CDs. It should work to do the same thing by putting all the files onto a single DVD. I obviously can't vouch for any individual games, but it should be viable for some of them.

Karthik@KANE said:
Ok, what I'm about to ask may sound taboo or worse, you'll instantly lock this thread without further investigation. Now I'll be getting my copy of WC4 CD version(DOS version) from a friend of mine. I would like to know if any of you attempted to take all 6CDs and cram into a DVD.

There are actually two versions of the WC4 DVD. One of them is equivalent to all six CDs combined (while the other is a dual sided high quality video version). So one way or another it's possible.

Yes, I'm aware of the REAL DVD versions. I just wanna know if anyone attempted to do their own DVD version for private use. And yes I buying the game from my friend so all the license will transfer to me and no he didn't make a copy for himself!

By the time I thought about doing it, I found the Wing IV DVD version w/ high quality video on eBay. :D For $20 w/shipping

Shouldn't be too hard to do with DOS, I'd think. Good luck!

YEah, you really should get both. The cd version for the box and cd case and manuals and etc and the cool DVD one for playing. The cds are beatiful, btw.

Back