Audio question

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
I'm thinkin' of burning an audio CD of tunes, possibly incl. WC tunes, and have a basic question (thus far, my CD-burnin' escapades have only involved data, so I'm kinda outta the loop about audio CD stuff):

Can MP3's be recognized/played by yer standard car/portable/component CD players, or is one stuck with using CD audio format for such a task? :confused:

Thx.:)

you need to convert the .mp3 files to .wav files before burning. the vast majority of cd players (both car and home audio) can read/play burnt audio cd's. to convert them, you can use winamp. all you need to do is change the output plug-in to "disk writer", and change the directory for the output of the .wav files by clicking the configuration button. when you play a song, you won't hear any audio, winamp will, well, "run through" the song very quickly (for lack of a better description). when you have converted your songs, burn them using nero or ez cd creator (or equivalent). that should be it! let me know if i missed any important info or haven't explained myself adequately.

Styles

Don't worry, CD players will recognize .mp3s. Converting them to .wav will make them sound like shit.

Or maybe I'm just full of it, I dunno.

i might be wrong, but i was under the impression that most cd players do not have .mp3 playback abilities.

The vast, vast, vast majority of CD players will *not* recognize MP3s (well, spluh -- most of them were produced before the format was even created). There *are* mp3 playing CD players these days, though, and I'm sure they'll become more and more common -- I bought a set top DVD player last week that actually plays mp3 CDs...

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Don't worry, CD players will recognize .mp3s. Converting them to .wav will make them sound like [blah].

Or maybe I'm just full of it, I dunno.
How so? I'd say you must be full of it. ;) It's like saying a BMP converted from a JPEG looks worse than the original JPEG.

well, shut my mouth, lunatic. you're right! i have cdrwin 3.8b, newest one is 3.8f, guess i'm way behind the times. i wish i had known that a couple of weeks ago... cool.

styles

In my experience most cd burning programs automatically convert the files so a standard cd player can play the music. A lot of your dvd players are comming out with the ability to play em to but as far as car cd decks go most of them do not and those that do usually make a big deal out of it and will cost ya upwards of 300 bucks or 400

dralthi, if anything the mp3 sounds worse! the difference really is the compression, mp3s are compresssed wavs arent, simple to get, the thing is, while there are mp3 playing cd players, they are few and far between, for now at least its better to make a wav version which will play in any drive.

thing is the mp3 files stay as mp3s when on the cd
the wav files are converted to the standard cda music files hope that helps :)

An audio CD doesn't keep the files in wav format, though -- the burning utility automatically converts wavs into whatever format the CD uses (Redbook?).

That's right LOAF. Redbook audio allows for a CD to be played in a CD Player. Yellowbook is the encoding used in most Playstation games and many PC games and features encoding and audio compressing that doesn't allow audio playback.

The only difference between Audio-CD format and WAV are some headers, AFAIK. Both are very close to raw sound data. If you have an older CD-player (one that doesn't prevent playing of data-tracks as sound) and you put a CD in it with 16bit 44KHz stereo wavs on it, you will hear them properly. Anything else will sound like... well let's just say you shouldn't turn the volume too high if you value your ears and your speakers. :D
You can't burn MP3's to an Audio-CD because MP3 are data files. Just as well you can't burn WAVs to an Audio-CD cause that's data as well. Only burning software takes care of the conversion from WAV to Audio-CD format. And newer progs will also convert MP3. But regardless, since it's all going to end up as Audio-CD format on the CD, you'll never get more than 74/80 minutes of music on an Audio-CD.
CD-players which support MP3-CDs can read Data-CDs with MP3 files on them.

Back