Ask Chris Roberts

:( I have mixed feelings about another Wing Commander game possibility.
We have more Wing Commander games in work - Saga, Standoff, Flight Commander - these in addition to other fan made games are the successors to Chris Robert's games, and in many ways, surpass them. Gameplay and graphics are superior, the story is at least as good as the original games, and the passion behind the games is certainly greater - the love of the game is the driving force behind these productions. I, for one, am happy to wait for these games, even if Chris Roberts or EA have anything to do with it.

(...) and in many ways, surpass them. Gameplay and graphics are superior, the story is at least as good as the original games, and the passion behind the games is certainly greater - the love of the game is the driving force behind these productions.(...)

As impressive as those fanmade games are (and they are very impressive) I could never say that they surpass the source material and some of your claims are really subjective. Also, I don't think that the creators of these fan games are trying to surpass the original games but only to add to them.

I'm pretty sure you were not trying to diss the original games but still that statement made me a but uneasy.

With the success of Arena, I believe another WC game is only a matter of time. Ideally for any series, you want it to end on a good note. Wizardry did that with #8, but Might and Magic had the forgettable ninth entry.

With the success of Arena, I believe another WC game is only a matter of time. Ideally for any series, you want it to end on a good note. Wizardry did that with #8, but Might and Magic had the forgettable ninth entry.

Final fantasy 11... or the dreaded up and coming KOTOR 3.

Wouldn't mind asking Chris Roberts if there was any plans to make a Starlancer or Freelancer sequel?

Microsoft *was* working on a Freelancer 2. It would have also been available on the xbox 360 if it hadn't been canceled about the time Microsoft shut down Digital Anvil. There's some concept art floating around the net and a video of an early build showing the 360 interface etc. This was after Chris left Digital Anvil though.

Wouldn't mind asking Chris Roberts if there was any plans to make a Starlancer or Freelancer sequel?

Microsoft owns the rights to these games; but even to begin with they were just placeholders for when he didn't own the Wing Commander and Privateer IPs...

I'd ask him why he cast Freddie Prinze Jr. of all people to play Blair and if he bothered to screen test him first.

Actually, if I really met him, I wouldn't say that, it would be a bit rude, I'd probably just gush praise about the games. But I do wonder why picked that talentless actor for the film.

Another question: Who would he choose between Rachel and Flint. The first time he played the game through (if he actually did so), who he chose.

Well, if you want to simulate WC1 Blair, you want an awkward fresh faced guy who's mostly a blank stand in for the viewer's perspective. Prinze does that pretty well.

The official direction from the novels and script is Rachel. That's probably a good guess.

Whoa... this one's old. :D

Glad to see we're still talking about this, though now I'm not sure if I'd ask the same question.

Back