Armstrong, Lafong, Blair connection...

Moreover, not only the small entry in backstory in the WC2 Manual states that the player character met fighters that seemed to vanish, but we also see a pair of Strakha briefly uncloacking near the Claw and launching torpedos at her in the game opening.

Moreover, not only the small entry in backstory in the WC2 Manual states that the player character met fighters that seemed to vanish, but we also see a pair of Strakha briefly uncloacking near the Claw and launching torpedos at her in the game opening.

Are we sure they're torpedoes? This was one that sort of confused me, I read somewhere that they were IMRECS. Honestly, the Strakha wasn't a large fighter, not even a heavy fighter, she was a medium fighter, which usually means shes not unlike a modern day multirole fighter. That must be one slow fighter when carrying two torpedoes, its my understanding that torpedoes are very large missiles. But it doesn't seem that slow (when uncloaked) in the game.

You don't see it in the game, but the Epee is supposed to be able to carry torpedoes.

(Why one would do so is beyond me... but that's probably a subject for the Epee thread, elsewhere in this forum. :p )

You don't see it in the game, but the Epee is supposed to be able to carry torpedoes.

(Why one would do so is beyond me... but that's probably a subject for the Epee thread, elsewhere in this forum. :p )

Yeah... ONE Torpedo that ran the length of the ship. God only knows what that did to the thing's speed! All I know is that I would not envy the pilot who would be stuck with the fighter thats only advantage is speed, when it can't even go that fast. If anything (if the option were there) I'd lock the torpedo on with the saftey button and use its engine as an extra afterburner, then release it at the last possible second to hit a capship... hopefully i'd be able to release it before it went boom.

The Strakha in WC 2 do carry torpedoes and so we can assume that they do in the intro as well. And the Strakha already is incredibly slow - 320 kps (though it has ABs).
And mounting six torpedoes on your Sabre didn't seem to affect the perfomance.

The Strakha in WC 2 do carry torpedoes and so we can assume that they do in the intro as well. And the Strakha already is incredibly slow - 320 kps (though it has ABs).
And mounting six torpedoes on your Sabre didn't seem to affect the perfomance.

Yeah how many engines did the Sabre have? Plus the sabre was designed for being reconfigured that way, I find it, EXTREMELY hard to believe that the designers of the Epee ever intended it to carry a torpedo. My guess is Sparks or Racheal or someone else engineered a new type of hard point for this to work.

I would be really interested in a very good 3d space combat game that took component mass into consideration when calculating ship performance.

Freelancer was *almost* there. The Freelancer engine was pretty highly configurable except that ships had one mass setting, and the masses of any attached components did nothing to affect ship performance otherwise.

I find it, EXTREMELY hard to believe that the designers of the Epee ever intended it to carry a torpedo.

It's amazing how much people can read something into one throw-away comment from the game, and determine what the fictional ship designer had in mind. All we hear is that it can carry a torpedo. That's it. We don't even see it in the game. Anything else is wild speculation fueled by personal opinion.

It's amazing how much people can read something into one throw-away comment from the game, and determine what the fictional ship designer had in mind. All we hear is that it can carry a torpedo. That's it. We don't even see it in the game. Anything else is wild speculation fueled by personal opinion.

True enough... most of it is theory, but I think it has some foundation.

Back