Armada online...anyone want to play now?

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Curious if anybody wants to try out Armada online. I'd like to play strategy mode with quick mode on because using the keyboard is really impossible as the controls aren't very smooth at all.

Either post here or come to IRC.

Figured out why keyboard was so sluggish. Had to increase my cycles a bit beyond the recommended.

No reasonable comment, just a Space Point. Someone should take you up on this, though, Armada online is a lot of fun. My Wing Commander PC should be functional again in a week or so... I wonder if it can play against someone who's using DOSBox...

I'd be willing to try it out.

I'm just glad I figured out how to increase the cycles. Prior to that trying to fly was impossible, every tap of the key moved the cursor almost an inch on screen, so you could never get a good shot off.

If anyone is up for a game tonight swing by #wingnut. I'll be there till around 11:30pm EST.

Hehe, yeah as LOAF said.

There is a patch now so that we can play Armada and Proving Grounds (Yeah!) over the net by making it think it's on an IPX network.

Chris and I played last night and it was a lot of fun.

Armada online is a lot of fun. My Wing Commander PC should be functional again in a week or so... I wonder if it can play against someone who's using DOSBox...

Armada in DOSBox works on two levels. First it fakes an IPX network between two DOSBox clients, and then it (the big thing) translates Armada's netbios stuff into IPX. Proving Grounds naturally supports IPX (which is how HCl got that working online before full Armada), so it might be possible with PG provided the person with the real PC found a way to get IPX stuff working online (via Kali or something). Not sure if the DOSBox version of faking IPX online would be compatible with Kali though.

Hehe, yeah as LOAF said.

There is a patch now so that we can play Armada and Proving Grounds (Yeah!) over the net by making it think it's on an IPX network.

Chris and I played last night and it was a lot of fun.

The trick in quick combat is to focus more on heavy fighter production. I took some photos, but they got messed up. We had some great big battles though.

The trick in quick combat is to focus more on heavy fighter production. I took some photos, but they got messed up. We had some great big battles though.

Yeah I noticed that when your first force was visible to me. It was like an Arrow, a few Wraiths and a ton of Banshees. Somewhere around 15 total ships I think. Although I do remember your big push with 30+ fighters. It was a bad day for the Empire.

We played in a large sector with Dund as Confed and me as Kilrathi.

armada12.gif
armada13.gif
armada17.gif

This was the big fight at the end...
armada18.gif

It was a big fight. After I took out one of Dund's Banshees, I headed straight in for his carrier on full afterburn. The flak was crazy, and all my displays started popping. I was just a few hundred meters from the carrier with my shields and armor all gone, but the torpedo hadn't locked yet. Finally I got tone and started smashing the fire button. And then...
armada19.gif

Final stats
armada21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a big fight. After I took out one of Dund's Banshees, I headed straight in for his carrier on full afterburn. The flak was crazy, and all my displays started popping. I was just a few hundred meters from the carrier with my shields and armor all gone, but the torpedo hadn't locked yet. Finally I got tone and started smashing the fire button. And then...

As he was doing this I was chasing him down in the other banshee that had been in the battle. I was firing ImRecs and IFFs like crazy. I finally got close to gun range when I see Chris about a meter off the bow of the Lexington in a Goran. I try to burn in to push him off the hull or finish him off (the first dogfight had been fairly close till the end) but right when I got close enough...you saw the results. The Battle of Grigor II did not go well for the Confederation.

As you can see by the final results I need to work on my economy-building a bit. It's been a while and Chris is very good at getting several large forces of heavy fighters on the edge of your space. 52 turns was also a long game. I'm not sure how many battles we had overall but it was probably around 10 or more.

Anybody want to play Proving Grounds today? It'd be great if we could get a 6 player game going at some point. If anyone wants I'll be in #wingnut all day/watching NFL football.

Back