Armada Flight engine...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Hey-can anyone tell me why the flight engine used for Armada wasn't adopted (at least in part) for WC3 or 4?... It had some aspects (esp. shield effects and Kilrathi ship textures) that were probably better quality than in WC 3 or 4. I find this curious...

My best guess is probably because it was still bitmapped base instead of the polygonal base WC3 & 4 was.

HUH? Armada IS polygonal...it just has a crappy resolution of 320x220 BTW the wc3 and 4 engines WERE based on the armada engine. They all have the Realspace engine...

Originally posted by Preacher
Hey-can anyone tell me why the flight engine used for Armada wasn't adopted (at least in part) for WC3 or 4?... It had some aspects (esp. shield effects and Kilrathi ship textures) that were probably better quality than in WC 3 or 4. I find this curious...

The Armada engine and the WC3/4 engine are one and the same.

The only difference being they didn't up the Res in Armada like they did in WC3/4. Or added my lovely Banshee to subsequent games. :)

Hehe... just love this. You guys discussing differences between the engines, loaf walks in 'they're the same' .

Just love it!

Never played armada though, it's nowhere for sale. Loved to play it. Weren't you able to play over nullmodem cable?

Yeah; Armada reamains the only "online" WC game, although in the era it was released servers were still unheard of.

Armada's real objective was testing the idea of a 3D flight engine. The engine from WCAr-WC4 are one and the same: minute improvements were simply made to each one.

Story-wise, it was supposed to "end" the War, I guess. Of course, WC3 treated Angel as the Captain of the Human Carrier in that game. It was also nice to think for a while, just for a while, that Angel and Blair were married (with a son, no less.)

Ehh, I think you're reading too much into Voices of War <G>

The Captain of the ship is a man, based on his log entry -- "I wave goodbye to my quarters and envision beaches, blondes, brunettes and banana daiquiris." It's further implied (but not stated) that he's Blair, given his recollections of K'Tithrak Mang, Shotglass and Tolwyn <G> But I suppose anyone who served on Concordia would remember all of that... it's also possbile that his name is Jacorski, mentioned later on in VoW.

Clearly, Graham (who I guess is the son you mention) isn't Angel and Blair's son, since he's at *home* with his mother while is dad is on Lexington <G> ("You’re a brave kid to stay behind and take care of your Mom.") I would also suppose that the dad *isn't* the commander of the Lexington, since he's a pilot, and single <G> (Voices of War, while having ongoing stories, is also a lot of... voices of war <G>).

I would agree that Victory Streak implies that Angel's team was onboard the Lexington -- but not that they were necessarily in charge of the ship.

Originally posted by Napoleon
nah, it wasn't any better and textures have nothing to do with the engine, they have to do with the artwork.

OK, well the "artwork" was better (in the 2 aspects I mentioned) in Armada than it was in WC 3....

Re: Re: Armada Flight engine...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

The Armada engine and the WC3/4 engine are one and the same.

Ok, but perhaps you could tell me what the release dates are for the release each title (I can't recall): The superior effects that I mentioned would argue for Armada being the later title. Yet, how come (if this is so) those particular effects weren't transitioned over to WC 4, since they clearly were better? (Or, was it something that couldn't be carried fwd without compromising the REST of the engine?).

OK, well the "artwork" was better ... in Armada than it was in WC 3....

Art is subjective and is not an absolute.

Higher resolution can in some cases make the artwork look worse, because it requires the texture to be more crisp. Perhaps that's what happened to WC3. I can't really remember what WC3 looked like in 320*200, been ages since I played it like that on my 486DX2 66MHz with 8MB RAM. (Yep, I know it shouldn't work on that system, but it did! Took over 5 minutes to load a mission though)

Try playing Quake2 at 1280*1024 and you'll see what I mean...

Re: Re: Re: Armada Flight engine...

Ok, but perhaps you could tell me what the release dates are for the release each title (I can't recall): The superior effects that I mentioned would argue for Armada being the later title. Yet, how come (if this is so) those particular effects weren't transitioned over to WC 4, since they clearly were better? (Or, was it something that couldn't be carried fwd without compromising the REST of the engine?).

Armada was released in 1994, before WC3. Its effects were *not* superior -- it was at a lower res than WC3, and had far less detail because of this.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Higher resolution can in some cases make the artwork look worse, because it requires the texture to be more crisp. Perhaps that's what happened to WC3.

I agree, this is probably why you think Armada looks better, Preacher. Armada's textures must be something like a 64x64 bitmap for each ship, and that would just suck in a resolution higher than 320x200(or was it 240?), because you'd be able to actually notice that the textures have too little detail.

--Eder

Back