Are Kilrathi thermophiles physically?

Miracynonyx100

Swabbie
Banned
The Kilrathi evolved into being on a very inhospitable planetary environment... would they be considered thermophiles in their body's ability to withstand extremely high temperatures that would kill humans?

Vicky Kent

Nope.

Kilrah1.jpg

HAHAHA...

Could enyone have made it in that hell?

I figured that the way we saw Kilrah was sort of as an artist's impression. I don't know exactly how to explain what I'm trying to say, but in any event, there is no way large, intelligent life could form on a planet with no visible source of water.

I don't recall where but I think it's stated in a manual or so that there are no large oceans but enclosed large seas.

And of course, it's seasonal, like LOAF said. :)

Bandit LOAF,
Technically they should have kept it green... I think they added the volcanic stuff for dramatic effect.

Either way, it was mentioned somewhere that they lived near volcanoes and stuff about volcanic ash and acidy environments near the Volcanoes...

Victoria Kent

Can't remember where, exactly, but don't we find one of the Kilrathi characters in the novels reminiscing about the "orange hills" of Kilrah, or something?

I think the line you're looking for is by Jukaga at the end of Fleet Action. Ragark recalls Kilrah as being "red-brown" in False Colors (and the flowers are red in Freedom Flight, for what it's worth).

Well is it possible that Kilrah is a dying planet? That what we saw was the result of 40 years of war where the Kilrathi, like the Terrans were trying to mass produce as many ships as possible and the Kilrathi went as far as to mine thier own planet for ore to the point where it was ruined? (Think Praxis (star trek 6))

Well is it possible that Kilrah is a dying planet? That what we saw was the result of 40 years of war where the Kilrathi, like the Terrans were trying to mass produce as many ships as possible and the Kilrathi went as far as to mine thier own planet for ore to the point where it was ruined? (Think Praxis (star trek 6))

Well, as far as being geologically unstable to the point of spurring off-world colonization and expansionism dramatically as well as being crisscrossed with fault lines that when hit by a relatively low-yield explosion cause the planet to break up counts as "dying," then yes.

(In more serious fashion, I don't believe there's anything to the note of Kilrah being strip-mined - they have hundreds of colony worlds and vast, if desolate, regions of space out on the Hari side of the border; and, furthermore, were *winning* up until the events of End Run threw them off guard. The homeworld is the seat of Imperial power, and everyone knows it, especially the Imperial family whose reason for dragging the war on for as long as it has is at least partly, if not primarily, to maintain their control over the Empire.)

Anyway, an oxigen-breathing creature with biochemistry close to ours (why else could they eat humans without being poisoned?) - is very unlikely to withstand THAT HIGH temperature. 100 degrees is 100 degrees, you're boiled, no matter human or kilrathi...

Anyway, an oxigen-breathing creature with biochemistry close to ours (why else could they eat humans without being poisoned?) - is very unlikely to withstand THAT HIGH temperature. 100 degrees is 100 degrees, you're boiled, no matter human or kilrathi...

Is it a given that "human poisoning" follows from dissimilar biochemistry?
Maybe their proteins have a greater tolerance for heat, or something.

100 Celsius temperatures would be an exaggeration, but I expect that Kilrah is mostly what by Terran standards would be near-desert, similar to the American Southwest, with few heavily forested areas. Probably Kilrathi are most comfortable at about 40 C or so, compared to human's comfort level of 20 C.

In various manuals, games and novels the preferred environment of a Kilrathi is described but I am unsure where (I think in the WC 3 manual at least) and what exactly they were. They like hot and dry climate I think, and dislike water (so said Shotglass in WC 1 I think).

In any event, there is no way large, intelligent life could form on a planet with no visible source of water.

That's a rather silly assumption - just because all of OUR life forms require water is no reason to assume that life evolving on another planet in another ecosystem is going to follow the same basic laws that govern life on our planet.

I don't think it's impossible for a thermophile to be able to eat meat.

Although the Kilrathi are probably able to take higher temperatures than humans

I figured that the way we saw Kilrah was sort of as an artist's impression. I don't know exactly how to explain what I'm trying to say, but in any event, there is no way large, intelligent life could form on a planet with no visible source of water.

Kilrah probably didn't look like that before industrialized Kilrathi.

I was talking about the T-bomb :)

That's a rather silly assumption - just because all of OUR life forms require water is no reason to assume that life evolving on another planet in another ecosystem is going to follow the same basic laws that govern life on our planet.
It's hardly a silly assumption when talking about the Kilrathi, though - we know they require water much the same way people do.

Back