Anyone talking about "irony" will be summarily executed

Was he the guy that Sam Beckett became in one of the Quantum Leap episodes, or was that Yeager?

Wow, I didn't realize it was that long ago, it's a shame to see such a fine pilot die.

This, under NO circumstances, could ever be considered "a shame". He lived well into his eighties, and died doing exactly what he loved to do.

I doubt that ANY of us will be able to achieve either feat!

No sympathy, no remorse...just a simple 'Godspeed, Crossfield'.

Joe

OM Curator said:
This, under NO circumstances, could ever be considered "a shame". He lived well into his eighties, and died doing exactly what he loved to do.

No sympathy, no remorse...just a simple 'Godspeed, Crossfield'.

Joe

You have a point. No Remorse. No Regret. "...Troubled soul, rest well."

I would say there's no irony in this...rather some gladness...how many people get to go out doing what they love? Bon Voyage!

QuailPilot said:
Never mind about the troubled part...

Maybe you should stay away from memorial threads for a few years.

OM Curator said:

I always assumed most of us would just pass out and never wake up after a long day in #Wingnut around the year 2100.

Maj.Striker said:
I would say there's no irony in this...

The irony would be that a man who flew in combat (WW2) and in test aircraft flying in extreme conditions, with two different engines blowing up on him mid-flight (X-15), survived that, only to die from a plain old weather-induced crash in a sedate private airplane.

This forum being as it is, though, I expected it to be ground into the dirt, so I was trying to minimize some of the stupidity.

I knew his name and the basic idea of what he done, but that article really shined some light on him. What a great career he had!

Peidu said:
Was he the guy that Sam Beckett became in one of the Quantum Leap episodes, or was that Yeager?

Wow, I didn't realize it was that long ago, it's a shame to see such a fine pilot die.

I do believe that it was Yeager. I'll double check with a friend tho.

Once again, check out "The Right Stuff" for info about Yeager, Crossfield, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGH FLIGHT
By John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and
swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never Lark, or even Eagle flew -
And while with silent lifting mind, I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Back