Anybody else hates the Sabre?

Star Rider said:
The Epee was a flying deathtrap and everyone knows it.
Also, the Earth is flat, and you know it!

(it's very, very, very silly to make a statement that you know half the world will disagree with, and claim that everybody agrees...)

Quarto said:
Also, the Earth is flat, and you know it!

(it's very, very, very silly to make a statement that you know half the world will disagree with, and claim that everybody agrees...)

Actually I'm quite surprised how a handful of Epee fans have emerged lately. Many years ago, it would not be uncommon at all to have this sort of discussion and have literally 100% of the participants hate the Epee.

Icefire69 said:
Gimme a Ferret with particle guns (maybe Lasers) and i rethink my statement, but Mass Drivers are no guns for fast ships.

I think Mass Drivers would be the best for a fast little ship. The solid quick fire they lay down seems to complement them really well.

Yeah, I've got to give some credit to the "Epee hate" people. It is a pretty big opinion that arose independantly among players. When you see people trashing the Scimitar you know in your heart that it's because that's what all the cool talking heads in the original game do... but there's nothing in Wing Commander 2 to tell you Blair and company don't like the Epee.

That said, I don't honestly understand the complaints -- the Epee shows up, I believe, for fewer missions than any other fighter in Wing Commander II, none of which are particularly difficult... I was always happy to fly the Epee just because it looked cool (outside and inside)!

I had more actual trouble with the WC2 Rapier... it was really not up to the task anymore. I find the mission you fly a rapier against an Ace and several kilrathi heavies quite hard.

I think people complain about the Epee (i don't like it either) because it is supposed to substitute the Ferret, a ship that most people really like (including me).

What I really liked about the Rapier was the fact that you actually could see it's age in WC2, just like the Scimitar did in WC1. I liked the Scimitar, btw, it certainly wasn't a Raptor, but it did the job.

The Rapier in WC2 is showing its age, certainly, but at least you get a fighter you have seen before. I still don*t like the design shift between WC2 and WC3, the fighters of WC3 have nothing to do with WC2. If the Concordia had't appeared in WC3, nobody could have guessed that WC3 was the successor of WC2.

I know the Epee discussions, but I never agreed with the common sense that it is so bad. Certainly the armor is weak, but I usually don't get hit with it, because it allows a different attack technique than the Sabre, which I consider to be the worst ship of all WC games (just like the Hellcat)...

My all time favourite remains the Morningstar, followed by the Excalibur, Vampire, Dragon and Raptor...

The scimitar is actually not a bad ship at all. It outguns 3 of the 5 kilrathi ships on WC1. The mass driver is a great weapon because of the fire rate, the damage and the energy consumption. That's what make the Ferret great. The particle gun, on the other hand, is not really that good, and makes an unpleasant sound.

I think the scim is too sluggish for my taste. But that is really personal. Some people might prefer to fly slower and more plated ships...

My favorite ship to fly in WC1 is the Raptor. It is not as nimble as the hornet, but it is fast and maneuverable enough.

Edfilho said:
I think the scim is too sluggish for my taste. But that is really personal. Some people might prefer to fly slower and more plated ships...

My favorite ship to fly in WC1 is the Raptor. It is not as nimble as the hornet, but it is fast and maneuverable enough.

I agree on the Raptor. Strong Shields, deadly guns (neutron plus mass driver is the best combination), ok handling... I never liked the Rapier that much, because I think the guns aren't so good.

i havent gotten to fly any of the older ships from WC except in the freelancer conversion. that being said i dispised the Epee, and as soon as i could got rid of it for an Arrow. Would have rather gotten hold of the hellcat that was there but couldnt afford it. As for the Sabre, i prefer the strike variant (The D model) though i dont know if you can differentiate which one you take in the older games, but either way i like the sabre's all around.

hmm I think we can see here the different in battel tactics.

I mean. the mass driver fpor exampel are great guns, if you like to fly near to the enemy and hit them many times.

I do not like this. I like to shoot from far away some shoots and these shoots has to make real damage.

*I really like the Devastator with the Plasma gun for exampel*

So if you like a littel ship which make fast aimed attacks, than you like an Eppe more than a ferrrt.
If you like to fly after the enemys and hunt them down, than a Ferret is better.

I hope I didn't make any mistakes, but I really think that you like ships more, which are better for your way of fly.

Personal I can fly evry ship not too bad. But I like the ships most, which are fast and have a really big Firepower, even if the recharge time is long.

@ other Epee fans

If I had register earlier I had never say anything against the Epee^^
I only hate the Ship the first time I played WC2 as a child. I couldn't understand how you fly that ship. I wanted a ship which can kill all the Enemys in a frontal attack^^

Ok Quarto, first of all the world is round Columbus proved that in 1492. Second a single gun Salvo from a Jalkehi is enough to knock out an Epee. In theory the Epee is a good ship but in practice it leaves alot to be desired, While I agree that the Epee does have a good armorment, I'd like to point out that the Armor could have been a bit thicker and the survival rate would have increased by 50%. The Scimitar, while old and slow could take a beating and still get the job done. The RapierG in WC2 might have been old but she was still more then a match against a Drakhri, or Jalkehi. The Raptor was famous for the deadly punch it's Neutron guns and Mass Driver Gattlin guns dished out.

@Star Rider: you miss the point. The Epee's good at avoiding getting shot at, it you pilot it well. It's small, easy to miss, manuverable. That's why it doesn't need more armor or shields; it need you to adjust your flying style.

Edfilho said:

Then you like slower and more plated ships, or you'd prefer the Rapier.

The scimitar is better than the Hornet because the lasers are not strong. The Mass Drivers can do more damage.

But the Rapier is the best fighter of WC1. Not to say I don't really like the Raptor.

I think Mass Drivers would be the best for a fast little ship. The solid quick fire they lay down seems to complement them really well.

I disagree, the Mass Drive is to slow for such an fast ship, it works good at slow ships like a Scimitär, Broadsword etc. but not on fast ships, you need to get close, and stay there, which somehow nulliefy (spelling?) your speed and handling.

That's why the Epee ist better then the Ferret. That's the reason i think, the Ferret would be even better of with Laser's instead of Mass Drivers.

But i still search for a use for Neutron Guns....

cff said:
I don't particulary like the Sabre. However any bomber that features afterburners is a gods gift. .

Dont Wc3/4 and Prophecy all have bombers with afterburners?

Icefire69 said:
I disagree, the Mass Drive is to slow for such an fast ship, it works good at slow ships like a Scimitär, Broadsword etc. but not on fast ships, you need to get close, and stay there, which somehow nulliefy (spelling?) your speed and handling.

That's why the Epee ist better then the Ferret. That's the reason i think, the Ferret would be even better of with Laser's instead of Mass Drivers.

But i still search for a use for Neutron Guns....

Nah, with a fast ship you can get in behind them like nobodys buisness and then hit the match-speed button. Then you just coast along pumping those great and powerful (if not slow) shots up their tail-pipe. (not so great on ships with turrets though usually ships with turrets are slower and fairly easy to hit from the side)

Back