any other games close to privateer1?

bahumat222

Spaceman
hey im in tech support right now trying to get my privateer to run on my winME computer. anyways, in the meantime im itching to play any "privateer1" type of game. other than the somewhat lame sequel, is their any other games that come close to the best space-flight game ever? and if so, how do they rate compared to privateer1 in your opinion??

Originally posted by bahumat222
hey im in tech support right now trying to get my privateer to run on my winME computer. anyways, in the meantime im itching to play any "privateer1" type of game. other than the somewhat lame sequel, is their any other games that come close to the best space-flight game ever? and if so, how do they rate compared to privateer1 in your opinion??

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but other than Jumpgate, I haven't seen any others (and Jumpgate wasn't on par w/ Privateer IMO). Keep an eye out for FreeLancer, though! DA claimed that it will revolutionize the genre, and if even half of my expectations are met, it would still be a good game.

The game that was *most* like Privateer, in my opinion, was actually a submarine game called Archmedian Dynasty. The subs had the same fake-physics as WC, and the whole game had the same 'feel' of Privateer... except underwater.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The game that was *most* like Privateer, in my opinion, was actually a submarine game called Archmedian Dynasty. The subs had the same fake-physics as WC, and the whole game had the same 'feel' of Privateer... except underwater.

I've got that game (c. 1996)--it's pretty cool (and frankly, it beats the tar outta what few "sub" games there've been SINCE then...) Woohoo!:)

the wing commanders just arent the same. i like privateer1 because you can go off the quest for as long as you want and eventually save up enough to buy that bad as centurion! privateer2 diassapointed me in the ships department. i guess i missed the centurion in priv2 too much. also hey guys what about X Beyond the Frontier? is this anything like privateer1? or how about Tachyon the Fringe or Echelon???

X Beyond the Frontier and Tachyon the Fringe, P2 are like P1 because of the trading part of it. P1 has a better storyline.

One word:

ELITE

Heh I still got the original working on my Acorn BBC32, and I II & III on PC.

Elite plus as well.

Just love the games. Try it!

I just get great roleplaying ideas.....

Wait- this isn't exactly one word, is it? :D

mIZ

Originally posted by bahumat222
...privateer2 diassapointed me in the ships department. i guess i missed the centurion in priv2 too much...

I missed the Gemini sector, the Centurion, Confed, the barwoman, the pirates, etc, etc.

If you don't mind getting old school about it, I'd have to say the closest I've played is Elite: Frontier. The graphics are craptacular, like wc3 but with 1/3-bit textures. Still, some fun gameplay.

I totally agree with Tye on this one. IMO, Frontier was much better than Elite, Elite Plus, or Frontier 2 (whatever it was called...)

The setting is kind of different from the WC universe, so you have to get used to it... but once you do, you'll realize that Frontier is one darned good game, and that those imperial ships look sweet :cool:

--Eder

Eh, imerperials are all well and good. For the littler stuff, I personally always preferred the Viper 2, the police craft. Faster than hell and with room for a little cargo to boot.

You've tried the rest now try the best!......

Everyday Vegastrike get's more work done on it... every day it comes closer to being finished..... SOON WC: UNIVERSE a fanmade "Privateer 3" will be finished
featuring: online Multiplayer action
Single player campaign
Mini Campaigns
Squad based online action
Every ship from wc1-3 with You as the pilot
Full 3d Sound and graphics with fully integrated Force feedback support....
THE FUTURE OF WING COMMANDER IS COMING...........

Back