ANOTHER Sound Card

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
hey, I was wondering. will an AC'97 sound card work on WCP without disabling hardware acceleration?

P.S. Yes, I know this should be under the original "Sound Card" post I commited. But that thread seems to have completely died... so...

I put this on the the tech support forum, and got, let's see, about 3-4 replies. I tried here and got a lot more replies, somewhere in the twenties I think.

(I'm referring to the original "Sound Card" post I posted earlier... yes, the dead one"

I actually find Sound Blaster cards to be not at all that great. Their MIDI sucks big time, including the LIVE, and regarding digital audio - it doesn`t really matter what card you have, they`re practically all the same as long as they`re 16 bit cards.

The problem is, Sound Blaster`s mass marketing and general low cost of their sound cards caused that particular card to be almost the only one software was being made to run with. the introduction of DirectX kind of changed their status, but all in all Sound Blaster has remained with almost no competition at all.

If you want a really good sound card - try the Yamaha series, especially the Yamaha WF192XG. If you can find one, that is, and you can afford to spend almost 100$ on it.

If you do find one, let me know. I would like one too... ;)

[Edited by Mad Hatter on 04-29-2001 at 17:11]

if uve got the money and the tech experience, then get a Gravis Ultrasound, unfortunately the dos support is shab, and the SB support is equally poor, however the pnp one is supposed to be quite good in win, my current card is an sbawe 64, thats good on midi, and sb support

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As a general rule for soundcards, if it's not made by Creative, you shouldn't buy it.

Another rule to this sound card crap is just because one has a fancy shmancy ultra expensive, megga hookup headache sound card because they rip audio left and right and burn till theres holes in the CD's, that does not mean YOU need the same thing to play WC.

Be realistic! If you do heavy sound work, be it MIDI or WAV or other, then one of those high dollar sound cards is a MUST, but to play Wing Commander games?...dont be fooled into getting something you dont really need simply cause it "sounds nice". Grab an MCM catalog, they always have the SB16 and SB32 AWE sound cards in there for under 60 bucks! Both are perfect for playing WC games.

RFB

Still, no one answered my original question. Will the AC-97 card play WCP movies correctly? I ask this because a relative has a dirt cheap e-machines computer with this soundcard, and she said I could use it if I wanted to.

Well, what you would want to do in this case is simply go over and install the game, see if it runs ok. Unless someone here has the exact same machine running that card with the same exact setups, theres no telling! Hopefully it will work for ya!

RFB

I tried installing the game on her computer, and every time it wants me to switch disks, it goes onto a blue screen and tells me to put a cd in the drive. Which I have already done. If I re-enter the cd and press enter, the computer freezes, if I press escape, the install program closes. Could you help me with this?

I seem to remember some information about that particular problem. I cannot be more specific about it, but you might check the readme file, I think that is where I saw it. Should be on the 1st CD. Something about how the machine has the CD drive setup, mapped or something. I wish I could help more but unfortunately I am at work and dont have all my handy dandy "emergency panic" booklet with me that has just about every help tip and technical info on all my WC stuff. But once I get to the house, I will see what I can find and let you know. Any takers feel free to assist!

RFB

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
SNES x95? Something like that.
SNES 9x, I think. I prefer ZSNES. Much faster. Plus with the SPC dumps and SNESamp + Winamp, you get excellent quality soundtracks at only 65 Kb per track! Certainly beats MP3s for SNES game music. :)

Hello again, I just bought a new Sound Blaster (as suggested) 512 PCI card, would anyone like to help me install it?

Thing to remember, what may work for some may not work for others! Unless you got a setup EXACTLY like those suggesting peripherials, you will most likely run into trouble!

RFB

Back