Another Privateer 2 Thread

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
howdy, so I was wondering, do I need anything special to play this game on my win98se comp? if so, where can I get them? also, Im guessing that paying $10 for this game is a pretty good deal, eh?( im getting it from a friend who needs to get rid of ir because his parents said so)

Which version is it? There's the original DOS release and a Win9x-native 'deluxe' release.

(... and what could someones parents possibly find wrong with Privateer 2?)

I think its the win9x version, not sure though. the cover has a weird looking ship being chased by what looks almost like a Talon with a red planet in the background. His parents said that he spends too much time playing on his comp so he's being forced to sell his games, but he'll probably just spend more time at my place lol. also, one other question, how many cds does Privateer 2 come with?

3 CDs. If it installs in Windows then it is the Deluxe version. If it doesn't then it is the CD version ;)

As far as I know, the Win9x version should be fine on Win98SE, but the DOS version might have sound problems.

If it is the Dos verison it will not even install on Win ME or Xp. You would have to use the Dos to windows Patch from here https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcpriv2. Both the Dos version and the windows verison had the same cover art. The only difference was the box had "windows 95 verison" printed on the box. If the box does not this then it is the DOS version. The Dos to Windows Patch works good just follow the instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tech support forums really were great for getting my P2 to work in XP. No matter what I try though I still can't get the space flight part of the game to slow down. It's insanely fast. When I use either the Turbo program or the CPU killer, the sound becomes really choppy. The cinematics work fine.

There's a patch somewhere on the CIC downloads page that worked just fine for the system that I had it on (500Mhz, 128Mb RAM); is you've got a newer PCI sound card (as opposed to an older ISA) then you will unavoidably hear the sound 'flicker' as the IRQ is modulated by the card.

Back