Announcing Wing Commander Pioneer (August 11, 2005)

That would be the movie Rapier, correct? The one we see in WC1 is relatively new IIRC. And it's already been made known, no movie stuff is going into the project.

The 2639 mention is the Raptor's use in countering the Kilrathi capture of McAuliffe, when they were outfitted with extra mines to mine the jump point Confed used to enter the fray while the kats were busy playing with the Raptors. (mentioned in Voices of War)

BradMick said:
That would be the movie Rapier, correct? The one we see in WC1 is relatively new IIRC. And it's already been made known, no movie stuff is going into the project.

That's stupid.

we're not ignoring the movie as a part of the continuity, we're not using designs from the film. we're focusing on the style of WC1, pulling slightly from the games. we gladly accept the history added to the WC Universe, but we don't want to use the art from the film. History, yes, art style...no

sure, but it wouldn't be the Movie rapier.

and honestly, i'd rather focus more on ships we haven't seen, then put in ships we have seen.

The F-117 is the movie Rapier, not the WC1 one. The Rapier in WC1 is the F-44 Rapier II, it doesn't enter service until 10/2654 or thereabout.

movie designs are not going to appear. thats where the art decision comes into play. the movie designs don't fit with the direction of art we have chosen. while it would make sense to have the F-117 in there for *continuity* purposes, it won't be because it breaks with the visual style we have developed. we acknowledge its existence, we'll even have it mentioned, but it won't appear.

Um - LOAF? I hope the art direction isn't going to be a major sticking point with you - It'll just make it harder for everyone. I know Brad and I don't want to fight with you on this - we've got too much to do.

I know you love WC, but Has it occured to you that your love for it has perhaps blinded you to the possiblility that it all might not fit together in any meaningful way? That the movie - all of it, the Pilgrim war, the art design, the change in timeline and names/ranks/positions/backgrounds from what had already been established - might be a separate entity? Is that a possibility? I think it is. The WC Movie was made to make money off of a computer game. Much in the same way that X-men, Spiderman, and Batman don't absolutely follow the continuity of their source works - this is very much the same thing that has happened with the WC Movie. Those movies are not considered "Canon" to the fans of the genre. Why? Because they're movies - not meant to cater to the fans, but to a wider audience. Thus things are changed, things are made "cooler" and sometimes very little is left of the original idea.

We're trying to recapture the art and feel of the ORIGINAL game. The one that started it all, and that we all remember so fondly. That's what we're trying to do - and to be honest - I don't think the movie is worthy of the WC title. We're trying to accomplish something much greater. That is why the art style, and to a certain extent the storyline (Because our area of space has nothing to do with the story in the movie) is being ommited. That decision certainly not ignorance - that's acceptance of reality.
In any case, I'd love to hear your feedbacak on the new ships we've designed so far - and the way we've implemented those that already exist! Believe it or not, we do really value your input.

Howie, can I sign up to be a playtester now? :D These models look brilliant! I can't wait to see the art for the game's locations next. ;) Keep up the good work dude, I am *really* looking forward to this thing.

I've been following the thread loosely and I'd support their decision to stick with a unified WC1-influenced art direction. So far, the models have a definite Howard Day style to them, and I think if they intend to introduce any other ships, they would have to be branded with his unique style. If that means reimagining (like how they did a beautiful job with BSG), then so be it.

I studied corporate brand campaigns in university so I know consistency is of the utmost importance. If the game is to be strong, it's art direction has to remain consistent. Looks is like, 50% of a video game after all. The other 50 is gameplay :p

Speaking of gameplay... have you guys mentioned anything about the game's style of play, settings, locations, etc?

Back