An Observation about the WC Community

yoyoyojo

Rear Admiral
I got to hand it to you guys. The Madden PC forum is near dead compared to this forum. Wonder why that is exactly. How is it the most popular game currently in release has less people talking about it than does WC?

Maybe Madden is like Starbucks. It's everywhere and it's decent but not worth talking about.

Go figure.

I like Madden just fine.

But there is just something about the WC games (Minus Privateer 2) that made me addicted to the action and engaged with the storyline.

I hope someday some other game will make me have such feelings as WC did back in the day.

yoyoyojo said:
I got to hand it to you guys. The Madden PC forum is near dead compared to this forum. Wonder why that is exactly. How is it the most popular game currently in release has less people talking about it than does WC?

Maybe Madden is like Starbucks. It's everywhere and it's decent but not worth talking about.

I think a lot of the people still talking here remember vividly when Wing Commander games, toys, books, tv shows and such were everywhere as well. Wing Commander is just so much better than many other series, it has a tremendously devoted fan base.

It quite literally started the big-budget game industry. It was, as they may say, and era. One that has past but still lives on in it's fans.

Even though sometimes fans disagree on the quality of more "out there" WC releases, like the TV series and the movie, the fact that we still come here and debate it shows that we all care.

Wing Commander was my first love in combat sims and it will always stay that way.

for me it started when i first saw WCA on TV as a lil kid. then a few years later i found out that i got WC4 bundled with my PC and it pretty much went from there

I looked back once, in order to buy WC 1 :: grin :: Well said Nomad, by the way.

I think it's just a very engaging universe, it's nice to talk about during my spare time. nice to keep up, and (hopefully) nice to play a few of the fan release projects coming out soon. It's just too bad Starlancer didn't take, I was hoping that might serve as impetus for another release. Alas, maybe they'll re-release a Kilrathi Saga that might run on a modern machine.

Also, there's lots of football games out there, but there's nothing like Wing Commander. There's hardly any space combat fighter games (ace of angels? though I've never played it)... but there's definitely none that have such depth! I could go into alot of things, but I guess I'll go into this: Hardly any movies even have the all star casts that the games had... I'm not sure what awards they've won, but I'm sure there's quite a few academy's emmy's etc. for these actors in their various movies... Malcolm McDowell- TONS of sci-fi movies including Clockwork Orange... John Rhys-Davies- Tons of movies inc. Lord of the Rings... Mark Hamill- What movie was he in again!?.... oh yeah, Hamill was in LaserHawk.... there's also Biff from Back to the Future- Surprisingly he steals the show from these heavy hitters IMHO.... Prince Thrakath- CATS and other off broadway shows... and other notables... These awesome stars knew a great script when they (and their agents) read one. (Of course I guess that's why they didn't want to be involved in the Wing Commander movie :) ) But even the movie had some of the best cap ship battles of any space combat flick.

For a long time after I started playing the game I didn't even know the cartoon existed. One morning, it was like 6, I was watching USA and suddenly there it was. I thought it was amazing they had Hamil, McDowell, and Wilson. And my favorite part of the first episode was how that traitor guy got shot into space and died. It's always refreshing to see people dying in cartoons.

Hello,

maybe, there are lot's of Football Games, but Football is not very popular outside the USA. The same counts for Baseball. Besides, Soccer (the real Football) is the World's game :).
This community here is pretty international and WC is something outside of national specialities as American Football is.

Ciao Hans

last night I watched through all of the WCATV episodes again and I was reminded, "for a cartoon, this is high quality stuff."

I particularly enjoyed the episode where Tolwyn talks about how the Tiger's Claw is running for its life, and then just a little bit later the scene where the Tiger's Claw runs the blockade.

Kirathis saga on XP

Just an FYI there is a little tweak you need to do to run Kilrathis Saga on XP. I found it in the tech support section of this board. It involves bringing up the task manager after you start the game and chaning the task priority to normal. See the tech support forum for mopre details.

BenoitBrunet2 said:
I looked back once, in order to buy WC 1 :: grin :: Well said Nomad, by the way.

I think it's just a very engaging universe, it's nice to talk about during my spare time. nice to keep up, and (hopefully) nice to play a few of the fan release projects coming out soon. It's just too bad Starlancer didn't take, I was hoping that might serve as impetus for another release. Alas, maybe they'll re-release a Kilrathi Saga that might run on a modern machine.

Why I keep coming back

I think it's more or less because the characters such as Christopher Blair were not only fun to play as, they were fun to become. When I first started playing Wing Commander 1, I always thought it was a fun game, then I started to like the characters and one mission I accidentally killed my wingman, I felt terrible because on the killboard it said KIA. After that I realized, I wasn't just enjoying this game, I was becoming involved with a true series, one that not only is fun, but becomes your world whenever you enter it. There is nostalgia associated with it, similar to the stigma as re-reading one of Forstchen novel, a feeling that is attached to it that I don't really feel from other experiences/game.

I was really upset hearing about Eisen, Origin, upset about playing Freelancer and feeling the emotionless void and the real thing missing, the characters.

It's really great to hear about fan projects, they are going to be the future of Wing Commander and I can't stress strongly enough that if you love the game of Wing Commander to support the projects to the fullest.[cx]

Digital Anvil made a decent effort to try to flesh out the characters in Freelancer, and although they didn't do as well as Origin had for Wing Commander, they certainly did a lot better than they had for Starlancer.

I thought the story in Freelancer had a lot of momentum, and then it just stops suddenly like a train wreck. The game always felt empty for me after the missions were over. I would have to take a break for a while before I got interested in playing multiplayer again.

In defense of Starlancer though the gameplay and graphics seemed to be alot better. It seemed to flow more smoothly. It was hard to dust off the old WC games and play them again except for the engaging storyline and actors. Of course Starlancer was made later as video game technology improved. It makes you wonder how awesome a Wing Commander series might be now- the screen might look alot more like an actual movie. Although the WC games had better game play in terms of the enemy AI. The
Starlancer enemies were nothing but cannon fodder- MUCH moreso than WC. If you fly away from the conflict and watch your wingmen and the enemies battle, it's pathetic! I saw one of my wingmen out in the middle of nowhere flying in circles by himself while another wingman was flying near an enemy, and they acted like neither of them was there! Some of the enemies made pointless pathetic strafing runs on the transports without doing any damage... ah.. the good ole days of WC.... (although Starlancer was still alot of fun... best $10 I ever spent!)

WC is deeper than most any game or game series I've played, and just plain addicting. Even after seven years, I'm not bored by it (although I no longer have a computer capable of playing any of the games... :().

Madden is a simulation. Wing Commander is a universe and a simulation. People really interested in football go to football forums or somesuch.

One big reason I like this forum is that it's so neat and tidy looking. Other forums are so sloppy and confusing.

Back