Am i missing something or...

Plywood Fiend

Rear Admiral
I never actually played wing commander two, or wing cammander 1's secret missions, but judging from Wedge009's web site, it seems to me that this Zach 'Jazz' Colson bloke must be the biggest idiot in Confederation history. His brother died at Goddard at the hands of the Kilrathi superweapon, and instead of blaming the Kilrathi for his death, he blames the ship that failed to protect him and the other Goddard colonists, which they probably couldn't have done even if they'd arrived on time, but did ultimatly avenged their deaths.

And furthermore he sides with his brother's killers.

Am i missing something or is Jazz a peerless moron?

he is crazy, mad!

Jazz: "only the history can judge if i am a villian or a hero and our history will be written by the kilrathi!"

I hated him in the Wing 1 Secret Ops 2 missions. Seems like he ejected just seconds after launching. What a wuss.

Yeah, he was probably a confed hater BEFORE goddard, and he used it as some lame excuse. I mean, will you hate some thief who shot your brother or the policeman who tracked the thief down and killed him???

Hey, look in the news today...there's lots of crazy people out there who do things like that all the time. I still remember the woman who won a million dollar judgement against a department store because she fell over a child and broke her hip...the child was her own!!! Morons...

And let's not forget the Mcdonalds coffee incident...

you said it all "...Lot's of crazy people..."

And not only did Jazz "shoot the policeman", but he also joined the gang who killed he's family. That's twice crazy.

Lunitari said:
I hated him in the Wing 1 Secret Ops 2 missions. Seems like he ejected just seconds after launching. What a wuss.

WC1 had Secret Missions 1 and 2

WC2 had Special Operations 1 and 2

The scary thing is that there are plenty of real life situations in which people have made comparable decisions to the one Jazz did. Distorted thinking can take on a life of its own, even in the absence of a diagnosable psychiatric disorder.

He had some sort of point in his twisted head. He blamed Confed for going after the trooptransports at Goddard instead of the Dreadnought. And the time the Claw wasted on this, was enough to fire the weapon.

No matter how you look at it, Jazz's thinking was illogical overall. What he did is like someone killing a person's friend, then that person helps the killer kill all his other friends because he blames them for not stopping the murders. Just crazy. Still made a good story though.

Jazz as a pilot was terrible. I actually thought it was scripted in the game that he would not shoot down any other kilrathi until about my third playthrough when he finally got one. I thought I was hearing things when he said he destroyed a kilrathi and I can't even remember what he said since I have only ever heard it once.

If I recall the Mandarin's goals right, it was to underminde Confed because they were sure that they couldn't win the war. In their idea, it was better to surrender to the enemy than to keep fighting and have more humans killed in battle. Once the Kilrathi would have taken over and settled down, the Mandarin would have worked against the Kilrathi from inside their own structures, trying to sway the balance again.

But come to think of it, I really can't remember where I read that. Somewhere here on the forum, quoted from ancient tomes of unused backstory? Or in some fanfic? (shame on me if the latter.) Maybe someonce can help me out here?

[Evasive Maneuver:]

Uh-oh, Sphynx got banned? What for? I mostly remember rather sensible posts from him/her (?)...

But come to think of it, I really can't remember where I read that. Somewhere here on the forum, quoted from ancient tomes of unused backstory? Or in some fanfic? (shame on me if the latter.) Maybe someonce can help me out here?

It's from Downtown's explanation in Wing Commander II.

criticalmass said:
If I recall the Mandarin's goals right, it was to underminde Confed because they were sure that they couldn't win the war. In their idea, it was better to surrender to the enemy than to keep fighting and have more humans killed in battle.
Yup, that's correct (as LOAF said, it's really from WC2). To me, however, Jazz came across more as a crazy guy who wanted to blame someone for his loss and then get his revenge, than as a "real" Mandarin who thought Confed should surrender, etc.

(Except perhaps for that "our history will be written by the Kilrathi!" line in the intro scene of SO1... or was it SO2?)

criticalmass said:
Uh-oh, Sphynx got banned? What for? I mostly remember rather sensible posts from him/her (?)...
Him (Ryan something-I-forgot... check standoff credits). :p

Back