Alternate WC 2 Intro from Demo

Eh, you should have just checked the demo for yourself.

The comments also show how ignorant some people can be. Yes, the voices weren't anywhere near as refined as the intimidating Kilrathi voices we hear in the final version, but the very fact that there was speech at all in a game from 1991 was ground-breaking, as I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ups I didn't now, that this was in fact "old news"

It is a pity that they didn't use this intro in the final version.

The cuts were largely to save space--remember, those were the days of games that shipped on floppy disks and had to get their money's worth of every single bit. Things like the long detailed hallway and the Kilrathi guard face were dropped in favor of graphics that could be reused more.

It would have been nice to see the final, polished version of this introduction, but yeah, a lot of things did need to be cut for the sake of disk space. The Dralthi and the WC1 Bluehair were some of the other things dropped from the introduction.

It really shows some nice detail of Kilrathi physique (walk cycle, kneeling etc.). I was never sure at which stage it was decided that kilrathi had (at least in part) reverse-jointed knees. I guess it was here!

I remember being really impressed with the way Thrakkath's cloak flowed - cloth tech in real 3d took a long time to catch up to that!

I'm not sure, but given that Thrakhath is a blue silhouette in that scene, they may have used the same 'FMV' technique as they did with the Blair/Angel kiss scene and the Angel vs Jazz punch scene.

The kneel is definitely a rotoscope. The walk cycle is awkward enough to be fully hand-drawn.

reverse-jointed knees

That bend is their ankles. Like a majority of Earth animals, the Kilrathi walk on their toes (digitigrade, if you want to get technical).

And Wedge? Most online comments are demonstrations that Sturgeon's Law ("90% of everything is crud") is overly generous. :p

Huh... so that explains the comment about attacking the defenseless human colonies...there was a diversionary attack. I always wondered about that. The implication from the actual WC2 intro, without that extra line, was that, without the Tiger's Claw, the colonies would be defenseless, which seemed strange... The 'Claw was certainly important, but probably not THAT important (i.e. the lynchpin to the defense of the entire Enigma sector). After all, we know at least the Kipling was also in the K'Tithrak Mang system when the 'Claw was destroyed.

Back