Alpha Test Game 3

Yeah, sorry guys. I'll be posting in the other thread about what's going on with real life stuff.

As for this issue, I need 2 things from Quailpilot:

1. Browser (down to specific version) you're using.
2. A screenshot of an open command window.

Please list both here, and then I can try to recreate it. If you guys send me orders to submit, then there isn't really a point to WCTOO, is there? I'd rather use this as an opportunity to find out what went wrong and fix it.

All right I have the 3.6.11 version of Firefox.

bugWCTOO.jpg

Heh, in this case a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Okay the issue is a javascript one; it can't process your box; that doesn't look right at all, and whenever I get that, it usually means something in the javascript portion of the pre-engine went bad. Notice how, using ugly-looking forms, you can see every option available all at once? Always fun. Now I have a much better idea of what the problem is, although it could still be anything. This happens for all 3 of your ships? I'll try to get to it sometime tomorrow, I'll need to temporarily reassign them to myself. The good news is I should be able to fix it without needing to actually submit orders, since once that form looks right, I have confidence it will also look right.

Okay, easy enough to fix. It wasn't working because there was an apostrophe in the ship's name that was causing issues. I've added an escape character to let the processing continue, so we should now be able to keep playing Game 3.

Quailpilot, the Sartha is ready for your orders!

Got an error when I tried to load the page:

Ship Piece Submittor Error. Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's Breath', 'Sartha', '1', '3', '4', '0', '3', '14', '10', '5', '0', '0', 5, '0',' at line 1
INSERT INTO `pieces` (`name`, `type`, `race`, `x`, `y`, `angle`, `speed`, `hp`, `shields`, `afterburners`, `chaffs`, `tailing`, `pilot`, `rolling`, `evasive`, `turned`, `rot_death`, `target`, `weapons`, `pilot_bonus`, `orders_in`, `multiturn_data`) VALUES ('Sivar's Breath', 'Sartha', '1', '3', '4', '0', '3', '14', '10', '5', '0', '0', 5, '0', '0', '1', '-1', '-1', 'Neutron Gun,0,2,0|Dumb-Fire Missile,0,1,0', '0', '0', -1)

I don't know much about the internals of the SQL queries and such, but the fact that the message starts with 's Breath' suggests to me that it's another case of apostrophe parsing.

Yeah, more apostrophe issues. This time with respect to database submission, and again (you guys didn't see this next one 'cause it hadn't happened yet) with respect to the log messages.

All solved now, as far as I can tell. I also tried to predict where it might crop up for the combat and end phases, but I might have missed some. I promise, though, that once we complete a full turn, we should have 80% confidence that no more apostrophe bugs exist.

Hmm, the turn is suffering from the 'log messages won't show' bug that I haven't fixed yet. The log message is there, you can see it using view->source in your browser. I'll try to get a fix in place soon. This bug has been plaguing phase 5 from the start.

Okay got it working; field report is now visible! Another apostrpophe related bug! I hadn't realized that was the issue until now, but once I did, easy to fix!

Field reports are still just ugly text dumps, at some point when all the bugs are ironed out, I'll worry about adding some formatting and colour to them.

Fix should also be retroactive; game 2 field reports that were missing should now show. (Which isn't to say the chaff bug is fixed).

Yay, CP! And I noticed that FF missiles should really be exciting in this game, since we still don't have team-based IFFs... :p :D

Yay, CP! And I noticed that FF missiles should really be exciting in this game, since we still don't have team-based IFFs... :p :D

This is an excellent point and a warning: FF missiles target based on race not team. At the moment, the game doesn't actually understand 'team' at all. Teaching it about actual teams falls much later into my timeline, once I get the cap ship weapons working.

If you don't fire your guns during CP, it will count as "reserved fire" towards EP - if that is what you mean. This is also true for any refires you don't use.

PS: My Sabre seems to have 29 out of 20 shield points. Is that a special bonus for me? :p But seriously: I have no clue where those extra 9 points come from...

Also, at the moment, the game will let you target allies. As such, you all likely will have the ability to fire weapons on one of your ships each turn, but won't want to. As long as all your weapons are 'closed' so that there is no target drop-down visible, the game assumes you are not firing it.

The logic is this: you must open a weapon fire dialog to 'power up' that weapon. If a weapon will power up, it *will* fire, and your only remaining choices are how many shots to reserve, and the target of all your weapons. If you don't want a specific weapon to fire right now (aka reserve all of it, or don't fire at an ally) simply don't open it up/power it up.

As for 29 shields, likely a typo on my part. I'll fix it right now, before we exchange any shots.

FYI: according to the database, Sivar's Breath is the only ship holding up the CP phase. Is this intentional, an oversight, or a bug?

Since the current field report isn't showing (at least for me) and I don't have time to fix it, I give you, the Game 3 Turn 1 EP Field Report:
Beauteous Butch powers up their weapons.Beauteous Butch begins to resolve an Image Lock on Panda 3.
Panda 3 powers up their weapons.Panda 3 fires a friend-or-foe missile.
Panda 2 powers up their weapons.Panda 2 fires a friend-or-foe missile.
Panda 1 powers up their weapons.Panda 1 fires a friend-or-foe missile.

This should be interesting; we haven't done too much exstensive FF testing, and I am fairly certain we've never fired multiple FF's before...

Back