All time favorites

Originally posted by Dragon
Let me put something straight about my post.
1)Fision Gun is on Privateer.
2)Fission Gun is on WC IV.

Ah, I believe it's fission and fusion

I believe that the Steltek gun (unboosted) and the Fusion gun are the same because they're basically using the same code, but in the 'reality' of the situation, I believe that the Fusion gun was simply an advancement on Confed/private sector's part and not based on the Steltek gun itself. Although, IIRC, we see fusion bolts from Dralthi and the Retros' acquistions. I guess it's that annoying 'tack tack' sound which accompanies the new Retro ship's weapons that signifies it is a new weapon based on the stolen Steltek gun.

BTW, is it just me or does manoeuvring in Privateer suck? Maybe it's just cos I use the keyboard, but at least in WC1 and WC2 movement was smooth. In Priv, if a target is left of the reticle, I press right, but then the movement is so jerky that the target is to the right of the reticle. It is very difficult to hit a target. And it's not a problem of CPU speed, it also happened when I once tried it on a Pentium 166.

Originally posted by Dragon
1)Fision Gun is on Privatter.
2)Fission Gun is on WC IV.
That's your first mistake, right there. Fusion. Not fision. FUSION. Fusion means joining together. Fission is just the opposite - tearing things apart. Nuclear fusion and nuclear fission both produce vast amounts of energy, and thus both are a basis for different weapons.

But there are quite similar even in the way they look after being fired so I made a mistake about the name but Origin could have also made a mistake in the spelling.
No. You made a mistake by spelling it as 'fision', but Origin certainly never made that mistake. The two guns are completely different in every way.

The Fision gun is the copied steltek Gun that is being used by the Church of Man in RF, they sell those guns for making more Cash, after all the new leader of the church of man simple wanted to control Gemini, not to get riden of Tecnology.
The Fusion gun has absolutely nothing to do with the Steltek gun. Why on earth would you even for a moment entertain that thought? Haven't you noticed that the Fusion gun is available in stores at the very moment that you find out your gun was stolen? That fact alone means that the two guns cannot possibly be related in any way.

I belive that my first mistake was posting anything that you dont agree with.
I stick with what I said.
Play the game, the Fusion gun/Copied Steltek is the same in all aspects.

As I've already said, the fusion and steltek gun use the same code, but that is no reason for them to be related to each other in the story of the game.

And I don't think the Priv engine is exactly the same as WC2. Keyboard movement in WC2 was soooo smooth, Priv is jerky as anything.

Use a joystick, Privatter suport joysticks.
And the ships are not very much in the turning and burning departement, the only that is capable is the centurion.

If I had one... besides I don't like joysticks, I use the controls supplied, just look at the Tarsus cockpit. :)

And please, it's Privateer. At least spell the name of the game right.

Yes, its a CD-ROM Classic from EA but its all in portuguese (well I live im portugal) in the Box, so the Cover was remade in here, a mistake in the press...It sometimes happens..

I have seen worst. In the first WC P game released (it was in portuguese as well) in here, the 2nd CD was damaged, the know about it and they put it on sale despite that, thank god I was able to trade my copy to a imported WCP english release in the store I buy the game from, and there were error on the manual of the damaged game.

Re: Fission/Fusion confusion

OK, I only just got to see the posts, so here's my reply.

Regarding the Fusion cannon in Privateer, I am guessing the reasons it was based to the powered down version of the Steltek gun, and the Fission gun being the powered up version is in the following:

1) They never defined what the gun was, or how it processed energy to inflict damage.
2) It's not totally impossible for Naval Intelligence to have agents inside the Church of Man to likewise steal the plans, or even a private corporation to have an insider to help make money off the tech.
3) Why Naval Intelligence? The Fission gun(yes, I know that fission is the opposite process) for the dragon came out quite conveniently around 2670 as well, if you'll take note of the timeline. Righteous Fire takes place one year after Privateer main campaign. The year the Black Lance began active terrorist operations on Confed and Border World holdings. Either I'm wrong, (which I very well could be) or someone messed up with the terminology in Origin.
4) A friend and I fiddled around with the ASCII codes with the ol' PCTOOLS utilities, and discovered the ASCII code for the Fusion Gun in Privateer, is the same ASCII code for the powered down Steltek gun used in Privateer main campaign. (Yes, we were trying to fly around with 4 Steltek guns. :D Succeded too.)

Wedge009:
Whoops! Only noticed the content of your posts after I posted. :) I found the same thing.

Quatro:
Why did I think the connections were plausible? See my previous post before this one.

Merde, but I do not understand those two...

Next time you will be seeing pink elephants with Steltek guns, n'est-ce pas?

Let me start by restating something...
The Fusion gun is available the very moment the RF intro ends. At the same time that a pack of Retros are running home with the Steltek gun, the Fusion gun is already for sale. Thus, the Fusion gun absolutely cannot be based on the Steltek gun... unless of course the Retros have mastered time travel. That is a fact - you can ignore it all you like, but that won't make your theory right.

Quatro:

Oops....fergot 'bout that.

With the Steltek connection derailed, that might fall back on the Prophecy fiction then. Or, like my earlier suggestion, since you only found one gun on the derelict fighter, what happened to the other weapon? Station looked gutted, probably even looted, since it's so bare, and obviously largely intact. Question is, by who, aside from your Privateer?

[Edited by Roach on 02-09-2001 at 05:02]

Apologies General. I keep misspelling your callsign.
It's ok... I'm used to people misspelling my callsign... :(

As for the station, it seems that our privateer was the first one to find this station. There are three facts which indicate that nobody found it before him:
1. The Kilrathi were still looking for it.
2. Confed's definitely looking for it... that's why you're hired, after all.
3. The Steltek gun is still there when we arrive. You'd think that anybody who found the base before us would have grabbed all the moveable artifacts.
So, my guess is that the Steltek took everything with them when they moved out, and only this gun was somehow accidentally left behind.

Back