All please read!

I also like the military life, there I can experience my blue wonder before I have to go. And to study would take too much time in my life before it finishes off! That's the reason why I want to go to the 'army'. I always liked the risk and I never was afraid of the death. It belongs to live for me.

It was about time that german law was changed so that german women are finally allowed to serve in every part of the german army!
(for those of you who didn't know: until a few month ago, german womens were only allowed to serve in the german army as medics/nurses or musicians, if I remember correctly)
As for me, I (like many german men (correct english?)) did NOT want to serve in the army and had to do some different "social serving" work for 13 months in exchange, while there were a lot of women who wanted to serve and were just not allowed to! :mad:
Which part of the army would you like to join, Manjana?

Because of my hobby mostly Air Force, but there I'll have to pay...and it is very difficult to go there and become pilot, so more properly the Navy branch...or even the normal...but I really can hardly imagine myself running with a MP through the streets in Kosovo. But why even not? But Navy wouldn't be bad, or? But not on a undersea boat! There I would become claustrophobic! But it doesn't matter. I'd do everything (except that and becoming musician (I am really not musicalic) if it is just army!:)
But you are right! It isn't okay men in Germany have to serve and ´the women can, but they don't have to do anything. It isn't fair. They wanted to let women make one or two social years...or also army, but they didn't. But now if I read the newspaper-article right, there's a debate to change the law of the 'Wehrpflicht' (sorry I didn't find the translation, it is the law every german man has to serve)...they want to abolish it and to make it like in the Netherlands etc.: an army of volunteers. I think this is okay, but it doesn't bring you anything now. We'll see what this debate brings.

After all, I'm happy the law forced me to do an "alternative service", because it was one of the best years in my life! :D
I served in a youth hotel (I remember this as the correct translation of "Jugendherberge") in Marburg (30 km north of Giessen at the river "Lahn"), and from the 80000 people living there 20000 are students at the local University, and I think you can imagine want that means...
All pubs (100 or more!) are filled at every evening of the year until they must close at 2 or 3 a.m.!
Perhaps that's still nothing compare to the "längste Theke der Welt" (I just don't want to translate that :D) where you live, but it was just great to be there, away from home (a small town of 900 people) for one year so I could learn to be "on my own"

Oh then it is okay for you...but many men have problems with army or alternative service, They'd prefer nothing...one day it'll maybe come.

I also do. If this is the case, I've better chances because the tests aren't so hard, and they need more people (It is right that the trend to go to the army is sinking, or am I wrong informed? Less people want.). And it is better because the education is too short. In that few months you can not train a man so well, that he becomes a good soldier. By the way what was your reason what you said, why you didn't want to serve?

I think you're right, more and more men do deny to serve so your chances rise every day to be accepted...

Why I did not want to serve?
Because I think everybody who killes someone else acts against the will of GOD, and if you join the army, you may face a situation where you are ordered to kill, and I would not be able to follow that order.

OK, now there might come the "standard argument" of the situation where someone point with a gun at me I have a gun and have to choose to die or to kill and what I will do then...
The solution is simple: I will never touch a gun and therefore this situation can never happen...

And there might come another argumentation: How can you play computer games where people are killed/where you kill people?
In my opinion killing in computer games does not make me able to kill someone in real life...

Don't misunderstand me: This is just my personal opinion, not more, I accept it if people disagree.

Yeah... I wouldn't really like being in the army either. Except the resons I'd prefer not to be doing it is because the training program is really hard here, I'm not sure if I could do it, and I'd rather not like die from a gunshot to the chest or stomach... Actually, it might be worse if I survived that.

RMC's where Canada trains its officers for pretty much all the Canadian Forces. I'm going into the RCAF, just hope I get something fun to fly.

[Edited by Cricket on 03-25-2001 at 10:32]

Okay, everybody his own opinion, but I have to say rather I don't believe in god. And it is as good to be shot by a gun as do die in a sailplane which crashes with tempo 200 nose down into the ground or? (this is just a possibbility...if the illness inside me brakes out- at that day the plane will crash!). So I really wouldn't have a problem to be shot if it goes fast. If it hits the stomach...then you will either have to set the shoot in the head by yourself. I have to agree it's not everybody's thing. But this case isn't very properly. How many people worldwide serve in the army? And how many die at that? Not very many, or?

In times of peace, maybe...

But you better never take a look at the "kill counts" of the vietnam war (the average age of the americans in this war was 19!)

If a war like this starts again, then Germany will have to send soldiers as well, and if you joined the army at your own wish, then you may share the fate of many U.S. soldiers who were forced to fight in the gulf war back in 1991 against their will!

yeah Jochen I'd hate to be ordered to kill, I wouldn't be able to do it either. although in my case it's not going against the will of god it's going against MY will.

Okay, that wouldn't be so wonderful there you're right, but they knew why they are soldiers, or? It is their job to go if something like that happens. Maybe Navy is also better (I really pitied those Vietnam soldiers). There I don't have to run through the jungle...

Of course, Dekkar, your reason is as good as mine, I did not want to say that you have to believe in god to have a reason not to join the army...
By the way: Where do you come from?

Manjana, the point is: Are you ready to kill AND ready to die (perhaps in a slowly, painful way) ?
That is what you have to think about BEFORE joining the army...
(some may think I'm putting to much weight in this, but I think many people take this point far too easy, and when they realize that, is may be too late...)

I don't think your really putting to much weight on it after all dying and killing are not things to take lightly. As for where I'm from,I'm from Canada.

If you join the military, your just kidding yourself if you think your not going to be sent to a war if it happens. That is what the military is for first and foremost. Its great that you can get training and college tution and stuff like that but you get it when you sign up to do the military's bidding, which is likely to be fighting a war. If you have a problem with that then your better off looking elsewhere.

Back