Airplanes!

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
I went to the Farnborough air show today and since everyone loves planes, here are some pictures.

P7220343.JPG

Flying Whale!

P7220385.JPG

Red Arrows in Manta Ray formation.

P7220496.JPG

Airbus Cattletruck.

P7220580.JPG

The most impressive thing flying at the event - the V22 Osprey. The engines tilt so it can function as both a plane and a helicopter.

P7220587.JPG

An Apache showing off with a loop. I didn't have the camera the wrong way up.

Miscellaneous things

DSCN1055.JPG

Mars Rover - European edition.

P7220197.JPG

There was quite a lot of security at the event.

There's a whole load of other resized and badly compressed pictures at https://www.wcnews.com/hades/farnborough

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you got some super awesome pictures. You must have a good camera and expert timing. :) Well done, looks like it was a really really neat show.

WOW! Those are some awesome pictures!
I wish they had airshows that good where I live. You are truely a lucky man,
Cpl. Hades.

BTW, Is "Be the best" the motto of the British Army, or just that regiment?

I believe so, but not in any historical sense -- it's how they advertise, similar to our 'Army of One' (or whatever the current campaign is).

Yeah, I meant their ad motto. I personally think that it is better than the US Army's current ad slogan, which is still "Army of One".

What kind of jet are the Red Arrows flying? I think it is a AlphaJet, but I am probably wrong, since AlphaJets are pretty old.

Actually, Farnsborough is *THE* airshow to go to, if you get a chance. It's not so much as an airshow as a exposition. It's the aerospace equivalent of E3, CES, and other shows - basically a huge marketing event where customers and sellers get together. So everyone puts on the best show they can - lots of typical airshow stuff, but often going the distance because the people with the chequebooks are watching (governments, military, airlines, etc.).

It's where every aerospace company in the world trots out their latest and greatest to customers. Planning for the next airshow takes place at the end of the current one.

If you get an invitation, you have to go. It's not open to the public, unless this has changed recently.

If you get an invitation, you have to go. It's not open to the public, unless this has changed recently.

Well, judging from the amount of people in most of Cpl. Hades pictures, it is very much open to the public.

Cpl. Hades, I have two questions. What is that unmanned aircraft in pictures P7220262 thru P7220272, and what is the aircraft in P7220303?

Hmm I thought they canned the Osprey project because too many prototypes crashed

No, the Navy fixed the problems with the design and have taken delivery of the first operational Ospreys. VMM-263 is training to become the first operation Osprey squadron. It was extremely successful in the final evals in June 2005.

TankGunner said:
Well, judging from the amount of people in most of Cpl. Hades pictures, it is very much open to the public.

Cpl. Hades, I have two questions. What is that unmanned aircraft in pictures P7220262 thru P7220272, and what is the aircraft in P7220303?

The show is open to the public at the closing weekend. The week before is industry only. The exhibition halls were full of "buy our <random aircraft component>" type things but some of them had already gone home since there isn't much call for landing gears from the general public.

The UAV is Boeing's X45-N Scaneagle, and the fighter is Finmeccanica's Aermacchi M-346 prototype.

some of them had already gone home since there isn't much call for landing gears from the general public.

Crap. Now how am I supposed to finish that Airbus 380 I've been working on?

Thanks alot for that information. I have never heard of either of those aircraft.

TankGunner said:
Yeah, I meant their ad motto. I personally think that it is better than the US Army's current ad slogan, which is still "Army of One".
Well army of one to me sounds like a motivation to not follow orders. :p

Back