Advice With WC Novels.....

I have almost acquired all of the WC novels (I'm missing one that is to be to me shortly). As I've been lurking in the Forums and reading posts I've noticed that there seems to be a difference of opinion as to the order in which the novels should be read. I would think by-date-of-publication would seem to make the most sense, but I'd like to hear other's opinions. Thanks guys!

In chronological order of events:
-AS, FF, HotT, ER, FA, TPoF, FC

In chronological order of publishing:
I can't really remember, but:
-FF, HotT, ER, FA, TPoF, AS, FC. IIRC.

Here's how I'd do it.

The 'movie' novels can be read at any time. 'Wing Commander' and then 'Pilgrim Stars'.

The Baen novels. Start with Freedom Flight. It provides a lot of valuable background that'll play a small role in later novels - it's stylistically separate from the other books, so if you don't enjoy it don't let it get you down. Then read End Run and then Fleet Action. Next read Heart of the Tiger, the novelization of Wing Commander III. That's all publication order.

Next I would read False Colors. It was the last book published, but it's written as a proper prologue to WC4 rather than as a flashback of some sort. Then The Price of Freedom, the WC4 novelization. Last, read Action Stations. 99% of Action Stations takes place before everything else, but it generally requires a familiarity with the various novel characters and the events that the book is forshadowing.

Amen to that there brother loaf. It would however be of assistance being able to obtain all the novels here in the UK. We are looking at the equivalent of $50 just for the one book.

Is it still available on general release in america?/

climber said:
Amen to that there brother loaf. It would however be of assistance being able to obtain all the novels here in the UK. We are looking at the equivalent of $50 just for the one book.

Is it still available on general release in america?/

No, but ebay, amazon and half.com have these things for just a couple dollars.. It wouldn't be more than a few extra bucks to ship to the UK at the most.

I actually really enjoyed Freedom Flight. It wasn't a Forstchen novel, true, but the feel of the book more closely matched the feel of WC1 (in my opinion, anyway). Plus, it lends a bit of flavor to Fleet Action, being keen to some of Hunter's antics from before. Plus, if you're new to sci-fi novels in general, it's a good starter book that doesn't dump you in the middle of a terribly intense story.

I also really like the little-mentioned prologue to End Run; Milk Run. It was a prelude to ER, but it was a very good standalone story, as well.

FF is my favourite novel too for exaact the same reason: it caught the WC1 and SM(2) feeling rather well for me.

FF has that same feel because Ellon Guon worked on wc1 as well (or was it 2?)...

Milk Run is a great story. When I first got ER I was like what the hell...and when I finished the book I was really glad that it was added.

Ellen Guon worked on WC2.

Saw a copy of Fleet Action in the mark-down bin at the local used book store, only a buck plus tax. Didn't think to grab it, since I already have it (though it evades my immediate possession, being lost somewhere in my room). Edges were a little bit worn, but in pretty good shape overall, for a trade paperback that came out in 1994.

Back