Aces and Eights...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
The fateful hand, drawn by both Vagabond and Spirit before they died.

Learned something interesting today. Aces and Eights are known as the Dead Man's Hand. Apparently, James "Wild Bill" Hickok was holding that hand seconds before Jack McCall shot him in the back of the head in 1876.

Did anyone else know that? It's interesting, I wonder if the makers of WC2 and 4 had this in mind.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Yes

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

In the words of Data from Star Trek The Next Generation "Interesting" or did he say "Fascinating" damn I got em confused

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

"Fascinating." Actually, both Data and Spock were known for using that famous quote.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Fascinating it is.

Though I don't know why, but when Maniac starts singing the Brit's anthem (in the 27th century?!), I always cacked up laughing.

"I've got four Queens!"

One of my fav Maniac scenes.

Wow. Since it seems you've read up on this Dralthi, where was he shot? Town/state? It's one of the more famous card hands to have. Did you know that since all the ruckus that night, that table hasn't been disturbed? It's roped off and I think dusted once in a while, but everything is laying now as it was way back when. BTW, it was Deadwood, South Dakota.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... Fascinating... Two people drawing the same hand right before they died... The odds of that are ... astrological. ~laughs~

Seriously though, don't you think that Vagabond, Card Master, would have noticed he held the Dead Man's hand?

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Maybe he did. He could have just kept it to himself, knowing that he shouldn't place much concern in a silly superstition. But knowing that he had held that hand could have gnawed at him psychologically and led him to make uncharacteristic mistakes.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

No, Knight, I haven't read up on it. I saw a brief thing about in on the History Channel yesterday (one of the best channels ever).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I agree Dralthi. I hardly get to watch it anymore, but between it, HBO, and VH1, they make DirecTV worth it, even though it's a P.O.S.

------------------

I remember Vagabond drawing that hand, but not Spirit. It adds quite a nice touch to the games, though.
wink2.gif

Well, it kinda spoiled it for me, once I saw what Vag laid down. I mean, I knew about the superstition(SP?), because I'm part cardshark, so I kinda figured he was going to die shortly, then I hear about him wanting to go in the MIPS, and I thought, "Well, here we go..."
smile.gif

------------------

Mad Hatter: If memory serves just before her last mission Spirit was playing cards with Blair et al and pulled that hand. She ended with the quote "lucky in cards, unlucky in love." Later on during the actual mission she crashed her Sabre into the starbase in Hell's Kitchen, destroying it & leaving Blair to face 4 Jalkehis. Her last words, translated from Japanese, were "I will wait for you in Heaven."

Quarto: Thanks for pointing out my error. Probably stems from the fact that I'd just watched the WC4 cutscene where Blair orders the Hell's Kitchen in that Nephele cantina.

Wow! This post has been quite informative. I had no idea about the signifigance (sp?) of the particular hand.

Kinda ads a new spin to things as I look back over Vag's death.

Do you guys think it's ironic that the MIPs were compared to coffins?

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Back