A surprising Wing Commander music similarity.

WCX

Rear Admiral
I received my copy of the Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Project the other day, and I love it. However, listening to the arrangements, I was startled to notice some musical subtlety that had gone over my head with the original game MIDI files. That is, the strange similarity of the WC3 Strike Mission theme to that of the Hyrule Castle theme from legend of Zelda: A link to the Past (perhaps better heard in its sequel, A Link Between Worlds).

For those that have copies of the new Wing Commander album, listen to Track 3, starting at 0:12, but particularly at 0:42.

Then compare it to this song
, especially at 0:39

I’m chalking it up to pure coincidence, just an odd and interesting one.

I received my copy of the Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Project the other day, and I love it. However, listening to the arrangements, I was startled to notice some musical subtlety that had gone over my head with the original game MIDI files. That is, the strange similarity of the WC3 Strike Mission theme to that of the Hyrule Castle theme from legend of Zelda: A link to the Past (perhaps better heard in its sequel, A Link Between Worlds).

For those that have copies of the new Wing Commander album, listen to Track 3, starting at 0:12, but particularly at 0:42.

Then compare it to this song
, especially at 0:39

I’m chalking it up to pure coincidence, just an odd and interesting one.

I'll guarantee it's pure coincidence, as I never played Zelda before I worked on WC. After all, there are only so many notes out there, so there are always bound to be similarities!

I'll guarantee it's pure coincidence, as I never played Zelda before I worked on WC. After all, there are only so many notes out there, so there are always bound to be similarities!
Good lord man, great to see you on the boards!

That album is pure gold my good man. Honestly, I'm surprised there is any new music these days that doesn't sound similar to something else.

On a personal note, my car has never been more jammin'!

Good lord man, great to see you on the boards!

That album is pure gold my good man. Honestly, I'm surprised there is any new music these days that doesn't sound similar to something else.

On a personal note, my car has never been more jammin'!
So glad it's been greeted with so much enthusiasm. I'm actually in the early planning stages of volume 2. I'll keep everyone posted!

By the lice of Thrakath's beard! It's George Oldziey!

I have nothing to say other than thank you, George, you're quite the legend in these parts.

Actually, not to derail this thread, but while you're here George, you don't happen to know what scene it is in Wing Commander III where you blended your email notification sound into the background music? You know the sound George, yes *that* one :)

Actually, not to derail this thread, but while you're here George, you don't happen to know what scene it is in Wing Commander III where you blended your email notification sound into the background music? You know the sound George, yes *that* one :)
LOL! Yes, I just saw it today on Youtube. I've spent the day checking out what Cutscene music might work for Volume 2. It's the very first bar scene. I'd have to go back to the Youtube movie version to give you an exact location. It's very hard to hear, but I know it's there :)

LOL! Yes, I just saw it today on Youtube. I've spent the day checking out what Cutscene music might work for Volume 2. It's the very first bar scene. I'd have to go back to the Youtube movie version to give you an exact location. It's very hard to hear, but I know it's there :)

Thanks, George - I'll check that out! Hahaha.

Back