A discussion on the true nature of the Nephilim

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Originally posted by Primarch
I wonder what the bugs were up to out there!!?

(...)
And as for what they wanted, well, they wanted to invade, that we know...but why they wanted to invade, well, that we don't know. They probably didn't want to eat us, there isn't enough of us to make a staple food source. Slaves? Well, maybe. Military conquest, now that's an idea that deserves consideration. But, that might not be the only reason...

[Edited by Nep Parth on 06-04-2001 at 09:30]

I think they are hell bent on DESTRUCTION, all they care is to destroy, destroy!! DEEESSSSTTTRRRROOOOYYYY!!!!! *ahem*... well.. indeed, bloodthirsty bugs they are

Originally posted by Penguin
4: The only other race that we know of that has the necessary resources is the Kilrathi. I'd say they're already on our side.

Steltek, firekkans, mantu...thats all i can think of

The only space flight capability the Firekkans have are what Confed gives them. They would be quickly smashed in a fight with the Nephiliem, the Kilrathi or anyone with a grudge and one capship.

Compared to the Midway, how effective is the Vesuvius class against the Bugs? From what I hear, the St. Helens never had a chance.

The Firekkans have their own country now -- and since they've colonized a nearby system, we must assume they have their own spacecraft.

The Kilrathi are crippled, though, they don't have the resources to fight the Nephilim...

Hmm, that cutscene did seem a bit dodgy, didn't it? The Vesuvius class is still supposed to be the carrier of choice for the Confed fleet, the Midway class is just supposed to be a cheap alternative, with some added extras. Namely, a science division, marines, (and a very large disco light :)).

Nah, the Vesuvius ships are fleet carriers -- they'll fall pretty hard if you get that close to them...

Originally posted by penguin
Fishbone: I believe that NASA is testing the mach 7 plane now. They'll definitely have worked it out by 2060.
Ehm. The plane crashed and they talked about producing one flying with Passengers I mean they talked about 60 years for making a prototype of a passenger machine? It always comes later than they said and so I am sure I won't see the first flight of that passenger machine....I'll be 80 or dead so or so. :) That was what I meant.

Fishbone: I believe that NASA is testing the mach 7 plane now. They'll definitely have worked it out by 2060.

pendell: Superior numbers do not hand one victory. I seriously doubt that the bugs enjoy any truly substantive advantage over us.

side.

Look at the losing tracks of WCP and WCP:SO. In both
cases, Casey and co. were just a few minutes too late
to close the wormhole. And both cases result in Go
Directly To Kraken Blowing Up Confed HQ In Jupiter Orbit.

Casey and Co. are heroic, but not heroic enough -- if the
bugs are able to get a full-size strike fleet through,
that is All She Wrote. Confed CANNOT defeat the full
size alien fleet -- we've seen what happens in the losing
tracks when it tried.

Why would the aliens want to try accomodation? Because
although we can't break into their space, if we can
identify the potential anomalies leading into their
space we can fortify them to an extent that the aliens
would find it Very Expensive to conquer Confed. Hopefully
expensive enough that they'd be willing to talk terms
instead of going for outright conquest.

Aw heck .. we KNOW that there's gonna be an Achilles heel
that our heroic band will exploit, and Save the Confederation due to the bravery of a small, but
determined band of heroes. After all, this is Wing
Commander, not Risk.

Someone else said the Steltek couldn't intervene because
they were too far away ... maybe so, but distance doesn't
mean the same thing to the Steltek as it does to us.
ISTR they were able to travel from Surtur to Delta
Prime in one jump, so their ability to cross large distances
is greater than ours. I suspect that they could intervene
should they wish to.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

(...)
1: The Achilles Heel. True, it has been done before but look at it like this:
WC1: Blair blows up Kilrathi Imperial HQ.
SM1: Blair blows up Sivar dreadnought.
WC2: Blair destroys K'Tithrak Mang.
SO1: Blair saves Ghorah Khar.
WC3: Blair destroys Kilrah & Thrak.
WC4: Blair prevents war between Confed and UBW.
WCP: Casey destroys wormhole.
Any complaints anyone? :)
(...)
Yes, two here... :)

You forgot:

SM1: Blair saves the Firekkans (the whole of the Tiger's Claw crew though, with their damages vs. the Kilrathi fleet)
SO2: Blair destroys the secret Mandarin base...

And Secret Ops after Prophecy, but I don't want to hear about that, haven't played it yet! <G>

[Edited by mpanty on 06-05-2001 at 13:57]

Originally posted by pendell

Someone else said the Steltek couldn't intervene because
they were too far away ... maybe so, but distance doesn't
mean the same thing to the Steltek as it does to us.
ISTR they were able to travel from Surtur to Delta
Prime in one jump, so their ability to cross large distances
is greater than ours. I suspect that they could intervene
should they wish to.

Respectfully,

Brian P. [/B]

Why the Steltek want to intervene???, they said in P that they ar out for good.

That's what I thought. Never finished Priv, I'm afraid, ran out of time, and now I can't run it anymore, so I sold it to a friend. But from what I heard, from some timeline somewhere, the Steltek were done with this galaxy, and have no more reason for having anything to do with us.

If my very poor memory is serving me, the Steltek only get involved if something of their technology is discovered (and then it's their little drone, "Let's keep people from having Steltek stuff"). The group that activated the Steltek gun in P was so that the drone could be destroyed. I think the only way that Confed could expect help from the Steltek is if the Neph found some of the Steltek technology and had those drones after 'em.

(BTW-Does anyone remember if the Steltek take their gun back from you after you beat the drone? I never had the chance to play RF :( and I can't remember the end to Privateer too well.)

You keep the gun, but it gets stolen at the begining of RF and you spend the game looking for it.

TC

All of those are group efforts, though -- it costs Confed a lot of lives to *get* to the point where Blair can blow up a star post or a Fralthra or what-not.

Back