4 year old killed from Mission Space ride

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
Article show here

Wow. Apparently, he was over the height limit, but that really doesn't mean it's okay for them to go on the ride. First the pitbulls, now this. I think parenting is going downhill now that there are so many ways to keep kids distracted.

Well, I don't nessecarily think that was a bad call by the parent, unless the boy really didn't want to go on the ride. He was over the height limit, and I would imagine he was probably free of all the illnesses listed on the safety notice. The fact is though, he was very young, and probably not old or strong enough to handle 2Gs. But how was his mother supposed to know that, or for that matter the people at disney?

Based on that accident, I think the way to go is to impose an age limit on such ride so that this unfortunate accident does not happen again.

I have to say that I'm with Jesus on this one to some extent (heh...just sounds funny saying that). :)

Yeah, Disney could put in an age requirement for such a ride...let's say 5 years minimum. What are they going to do? Stop every kid getting on the ride and ask them for their driver's license? About the only thing it would do is further clear them of any liability.

I think this does come down to parenting. Why would you take a little kid on a violent ride with a history of making grown-ups physically ill? At issue here, though, is not that parents are trying to keep their children entertained. I think the real problem is that some of these people today who have kids don't want kids to get in the way of them doing what they want to do. In this case, I bet it was either the mother or the sister of this 4-year-old that wanted to go on the ride. If it was the sister, the mother should have used common sense and said no. Which is why I get the feeling it was the mother's idea or at least the mother was as gung-ho about it as the sister. The 4-year-old was dragged along, completely ignorant of what the ride entailed, wholeheartedly trusting his Mom. As such, it was his mother - not Disney - that got him killed. The temptation of the ride was there, and the mother used poor judgment, putting her own wants above that of her child's, which leads me to wonder if such a person should be a parent in the first place.

Anyway...sorry to be so overly judgmental, guys. Stuff like this just always irks me, though. When people die who don't really have to and shouldn't, it always just weighs down on me. In my mind, it shows that the people who shouldn't be having kids are, and don't take the responsibility seriously enough. When that happens, tragedies like this unfold. Don't bring a child into the world unless you're ready to change your whole lifestyle to properly raise him/her. I say we should make parenthood require a license...

- FireFalcon ~};^

X_FIREFALCON said:
Yeah, Disney could put in an age requirement for such a ride...let's say 5 years minimum.

That makes absolutely no sense. Age restrictions are due to maturity - are you going to start asking people about an unquantifiable abstract to get on a theme park ride? Get bent.

X_FIREFALCON said:
What are they going to do? Stop every kid getting on the ride and ask them for their driver's license?

Thats a better idea than the one you had.

X_FIREFALCON said:
Why would you take a little kid on a violent ride with a history of making grown-ups physically ill?

Why would ask that dumb of a question? Motion sickness and death due to misadventure are apples and Bikini Island experiments - one has nothing to do with the other in any way, shape or form.

If you wanted to blame parenting, the parents would've had to have known the risk of their child dying.

X_FIREFALCON said:
When people die who don't really have to and shouldn't, it always just weighs down on me.

Yeah, and I'm sure you work in a soup kitchen too.

The kid was over the height limit. I don't see how you can possibly blame this on bad parenting - the ride has health warnings, and a height limit. Your kid meets the height limit. Connect the dots - the mother had no way of knowing that this ride would be lethal for her son. This has nothing to do with bad parenting whatsoever.

So, having gotten past that one, there's the temptation to go the other way and blame Disney - after all, they're a big company, and that's enough for everone on the internet to assume that they're pure evil. Well, this I find doubtful too. When you set up a 2g ride, you probably spend a fair amount of time and money studying who this might kill, because you really don't want such people to ride. That's the reason they had a height limit.

All in all, this is nothing to get excited or angry about. It's nothing but a sad, highly unfortunate accident - neither the mother, nor the Disney employees had any way of knowing that the kid wouldn't endure the ride. It may of course be that there's something we don't know here, which could mean that somebody is to blame after all - maybe the kid had an illness that the mother knew about, or maybe the kid wasn't actually over the height limit, and the Disney employees didn't notice. But, without such additional factors, I don't see how you can possibly blame anyone for this.

I'm with Quarto 100% on this one. How is a parent supposed to know that the ride would take her child's life? The kid was over the established height limit...theoretically he should have been absolutely fine. Secondly, I don't know but since I've been a young kid at a theme park like Disney not all that long ago, I'm sure the boy was begging her to let him go. I truly doubt she forced him on the ride. Like Quarto said, this is a tragic accident but not one that could have been forseen or predicted by either the parents or Disney. Now a 77 year old woman with diabetes and heart problems? Yes, I think I could forsee that. However it's her choice so if she's willing to accept that risk then she's old enough to take that responsibility. All in all, I don't think there's direct blame to be pointed anywhere on this one...still a tragic affair though.

How intense is this ride, as I know nothing about it. However, pulling 2Gs is nothing, I pull 2Gs all the time in my glider. I can't see how 2Gs could kill someone, even a 4 year old. I wouldn't be suprised if there was something more going on here that we don't know about, one article is not enough to base an accurate conclusion of off.

LeHah said:
That makes absolutely no sense. Age restrictions are due to maturity - are you going to start asking people about an unquantifiable abstract to get on a theme park ride? Get bent.

I threw the idea out there to comment on something Happy Camper had said. Am I saying there should be an age requirement? Absolutely not. That was Happy Camper's idea, and so I was running with it and saying why I thought it wouldn't work (mind you, that's not to even say it wouldn't...it's just my OPINION that it wouldn't). You're right - age is not necessarily always related to maturity and even if it did, might not have any place when it comes to amusement park rides. Frankly, I'm not too keen on age restrictions for things like movies or video games either...growing up, my parents let me watch whatever I wanted, and I'm none the worse because of it. Not all of us turn into psychotic serial-killing monkeys from watching some R-rated flick or playing an M-rated game. But it's always a case where the system needs to adapt, otherwise lawyers will sue you for not having it should something turn sour. It's a matter of covering your own tush more than anything, which is sad, but necessary in this day and age where people are always looking to point the finger at someone else rather than accepting responsibility for their own actions. I guess the potential repercussion here is that they didn't say, "riding this can kill you."

But getting back to the topic on hand...I'm not the one saying to impose an age limit. If it came across that way, then either I was unclear or you misinterpreted. I apologize if either is the case here.

Lehah said:
Thats a better idea than the one you had.

Again, which idea? I was running with Happy Camper's and arguing why I thought it wouldn't work (no offense to him or any others who favor his approach, mind you). It'd be hard to go around and figure out how old every kid is. My comment that you're replying to here was sarcasm, obviously. About the only way you could verify a kid's age would be if the parents have a birth certificate on-hand...and most times, parents aren't going to. So even IF you would impose a minimum age for rides (which, again, I'm not the one suggesting it), how would you go about effectively enforcing it? That was my point, or rather borderline rhetorical question, here.

Lehah said:
Why would [you] ask that dumb of a question? Motion sickness and death due to misadventure are apples and Bikini Island experiments - one has nothing to do with the other in any way, shape or form.

If you wanted to blame parenting, the parents would've had to have known the risk of their child dying.

Sickness leads to death, doesn't it? If this is the kind of ride that gives people heart palpatations or makes them throw up, is it so much of a stretch to consider it to be a risky ride health-wise? There are warning signs all over the place that allude to the fact...they're covering themselves just in case something like this would happen.

The truth is...the two may be related and they may not. If the centripetal forces of the ride and the way the child was sitting in some way caused his neck to break, then that is a direct result of the ride the mother took the child on. If the kid was literally frightened to death because of the ride, that too is a direct result. While you're right, there is no "your child may die" signs up anywhere, is it too much of a stretch to figure out for yourself that the pleasure you derive from having the bejesus scared out of you might be harmful to those who aren't quite the pinnacle of health that you are (also, it's common knowledge that young children and old people are more at risk of things including injury). And how do we know being tossed, flipped, twisted, etc. isn't damaging on our own health anyway? Thrashing your own internal organs around in your skeleton while you go on these joyrides...I don't know...just always seemed like there were more variables there than anyone ever considered. Don't truck drivers start having all weird kinds of internal ailments after driving for many years, with all the bouncing, stopping, going, etc.?

Granted, the ride is not such that there are buzzsaws that lop off peoples' heads or flamethrowers to cook people or anything like that...but with a ride that has a reputation for giving some people motion sickness (to the point that they installed "motion sickness bags"), it's safe to assume there is some level of health risk in going on such a ride. And likewise, a small child is more fragile than a grown-up. Hey, they even say that pregnant women should not ride it. Why? Because of the risk to their child. I ask you...is it that much of a stretch that there are risks to young children when there's already warning signs that pregnant women should not ride it? There's also a height requirement for the ride that's supposed to limit the kinds of people that go on...perhaps not so much because you need to be a certain height, but more because they don't want the risk of young kids going on the ride.

Saying that comparing known health risks of a ride to the possible risk of death in this case is like comparing, as you put it, "apples and Bikini Island experiments"...you're attempting to derail a logical argument that went the next step by bridging two potentially related outcomes (the one being the more extreme case) by using a random humorous comparison of two things you dreamed up that are as different as night and day. To assume that the comparison I made - that the health risks involved in this ride could somehow translate into this child's death - and your argument of what I said suggests that if the two are so terribly unrelated, that you have another explanation for this child's death, or that we'd have to be ignorant to assume that those things that make us sick cannot also in some circumstances kill us. Who knows...maybe the child was eating something and choked on it? But even so, the indirect cause was then going on the ride. So until you can prove that invisible little men used a ray gun to kill this kid or some freakish thing in his biology expunged his life right then and there, let us assume that his death is related to going on this ride, whether directly or indirectly. And so relating the health risks of a rise to the potential of the ride to kill an individual...while not necessarily a direct translation, I think we can safely assume there is some kind of unknown risk there that has caused the death of one person now, and that's something that needs to be looked at closely (and, I think, should have been observed more closely by the parent prior to going on the ride with her kids).

So I fail to grasp why you'd say the two are not related when we know: (a) the ride has health risks; and (b) a child now died on the ride. If we're saying the two are completely independent of one another, then that's also saying that the child would have died at that same moment whether on the ride or not. And while that is indeed possible, that is the more unlikely scenario here. So I can't follow your logic on this one. And any parent who WOULDN'T take their 4-year-old on a violent ride like this with warning signs up near it likely also wouldn't follow your logic.

If you're saying that they need to put up signs that say, "caution: may kill you," then that sounds more like a legal argument to me. The sign wasn't up because that consideration wasn't thought up. Besides, they're trying to ENCOURAGE you to go on rides, not tell you - "hey, you shouldn't do this because it's too dangerous." Everything in this world has the potential to kill a person...how many of them have warning signs all over them that say as much? My eccentric point here is that we can't tell human beings what not to do in every case...there's too many variables that at some point, it needs to fall on an individual's common sense. Common sense would tell a person not to take their 4-year old on a ride that has made grown people physically ill. Even if you don't think your child will die, there's the risk of them being terribly sick afterwards. Why would you put a 4-year-old through that? Where's the common sense?

LeHah said:
Yeah, and I'm sure you work in a soup kitchen too.

Touchee. No, you're right...I don't work in a soup kitchen, and I don't devote all (or even most) of my free time to going around trying to help my fellow man. So you're saying because I don't then, that I'm not allowed to be distraught, upset, and angry at the sequence of events that transpired to claim the life of a little kid? I didn't realize you had to work in a soup kitchen to be entitled to a passionate opinion, or that you have to be Mother Theresa before you're allowed to be angry and upset over a 4-year-old dying.

Anyway...I just didn't get where your responses were coming from or the points you were trying to make simply by shooting down mine, but hey - whatever. As with everything else, every individual is entitled to their own opinion. I was only voicing my own on the subject matter. If I'm "wrong" relative to your beliefs, well that's perfectly fine. I'm giving an opinion here to encourage your thoughts, not telling you that I'm the guy in charge and this is the way it will be. I'm not THAT crazy. ;)

Honestly, I'd be curious about what an autopsy would reveal as to the cause of death of the kid. If he choked, was scared to death, had internal injuries, etc....then we can attribute it to the ride, and my opinion still stands and may yet have some validity worthy of your future consideration. If it turns out that it was something completely unrelated (even something like the heat, let's say), then while my opinion may hold elsewhere, it may not necessarily have any prominent place in this circumstance.

At any rate, it is an unfortunate thing, and no parent, regardless how responsible or irresponsible in anyone's eyes (yes, including mine), should have to endure such a thing.

If anything I've said makes me sound like a fool or extremist...well, I guess that's too bad; not much I can do about it. I saw a thread that I had an opinion about and I voiced it, for better or worse. I did it simply for the sake of discussion and to tell everyone my take on things. The whole reasoning behind it as with any discussion is the hopes that those who contribute can offer some insight others have not thought of and that we'll all find ourselves standing on some middle ground somewhere at some point. So take mine for what it is, take what's useful and discard the rest. I'm not imposing my views on anyone here, so don't mind me. :)

- FireFalcon ~};^

To Quarto, Maj. Striker, and Gliderboy:

Good replies from you guys. Good, valid points. In hindsight, perhaps you're right...I'm being perhaps unduly harsh on the parenting side of the argument here. Maybe the kid was indeed the one pushing to go on the ride rather than the parent.

The best point you guys made was that until we know more, you really can't conclusively pin the blame completely on any party.

I guess maybe I got ahead of myself aggressively because I'm just a bit irked with the societal methodologies currently implimented to raise children...kind of like the whole "time out" practice as opposed to instilling the kid with the fear of God of your wrath or something like that. The latter worked wonders just one or two generations back afterall. :)

I've also seen some parents who have come across to me as lousy parents. I can remember one instance where I saw a kid in tears in an EB Games store while his father ignored him and shopped for a game for himself. Stuff like that just bugs me and probably leads me to initially blame the parent for misfortunes like what happened here.

But you're right...one would be wisest to keep an open mind and a level head until more evidence comes out to lean things one way or another. For now, I suppose the best we can do is just pass it off as a tragedy.

Though strangely, when I was growing up, I never had a profound interest going on any rides myself...guess I was just never into them from birth. :) Oh well...to each his own. Still, what a terrible thing.

Question, though...why would they install "motion sickness bags" on this thing if it wasn't that violent a ride?

- FireFalcon ~};^

X_FIREFALCON said:
Am I saying there should be an age requirement? Absolutely not.

If you did not want to suggest such a thing, you should not have spoken.

X_FIREFALCON said:
I guess the potential repercussion here is that they didn't say, "riding this can kill you."

You can put that on anything though. "Putting this curling iron up your ass may kill you." would be a good warning label, as would "Do not step out of car while moving."

Freak accidents are the exceptions, not the norm.

X_FIREFALCON said:
My comment that you're replying to here was sarcasm, obviously.

Obviously? If it were obvious sarcasm, I wouldn't have replied.

X_FIREFALCON said:
Sickness leads to death, doesn't it?

I'd like to hear a story about someone dying from motion sickness. Do you have one?

X_FIREFALCON said:
If this is the kind of ride that gives people heart palpatations or makes them throw up, is it so much of a stretch to consider it to be a risky ride health-wise?

People go to theme parks to have fun and eat lots of junk and maybe give the kid some nice memories. These parks have attractions that are suppose to get your blood going - if you do not understand the risks if you have medical conditions, then you get what you deserve.

Did this kid? No, because I doubt any parent would bring a child anywhere if it risked their life. He could've had an undiagnosed health problem that was triggered by the excessive force in the ride. Who knows?

X_FIREFALCON said:
There are warning signs all over the place that allude to the fact...they're covering themselves just in case something like this would happen.

Theres this sign at the YMCA I use to go to. "We are not responsible for items left in the changing room." You know why they put that there? Because stuff gets stolen and they're telling you that it happens. If you leave stuff there, you're dumb enough to be robbed. End of story.

Do you expect some place to not cover their ass? Thats bad business, my friend.

X_FIREFALCON said:
...caused his neck to break

It doesn't take a medical doctor to tell you when someone's neck is snapped - or that the human neck wouldn't snap under such circumstances, provided its a healthy person.

X_FIREFALCON said:
And any parent who WOULDN'T take their 4-year-old on a violent ride like this with warning signs up near it likely also wouldn't follow your logic.

You're assuming "warning signs". As we know now, there were none. Please do not use evidence that isn't there.

X_FIREFALCON said:
Touchee. No, you're right...I don't work in a soup kitchen, and I don't devote all (or even most) of my free time to going around trying to help my fellow man. So you're saying because I don't then, that I'm not allowed to be distraught, upset, and angry at the sequence of events that transpired to claim the life of a little kid?

You don't know the kid or the family. Why should you give a shit? Because it's some kid? This wouldn't get any news if it happened at, say, his house or at a playground. It's just the fact that it's Disney that makes it "important". Kids die every damn day and mourners only come out of the woodwork when it makes the news. It's like they use it for a social event or a freaking philosophical debate.

X_FIREFALCON said:
I didn't realize you had to work in a soup kitchen to be entitled to a passionate opinion, or that you have to be Mother Theresa before you're allowed to be angry and upset over a 4-year-old dying.

It's not that. It's just that people on the internet are armchair philanthropists and it's really revolting. They'll complain about a war going on half way around the world, and say how we have a crappy president and how the world is going to crap - but they won't stop to help the poor or the homeless. You expect me to take that seriously?

X_FIREFALCON said:
I threw the idea out there to comment on something Happy Camper had said. Am I saying there should be an age requirement? Absolutely not. That was Happy Camper's idea, and so I was running with it and saying why I thought it wouldn't work (mind you, that's not to even say it wouldn't...it's just my OPINION that it wouldn't).
The thing is, while age does not nessecarily imply maturity, you have to remeber that kids of that age grow incredibly quickly, which should mean that they become stronger and therfore more capable of suriving the ride.

As for the impossiblity of enforcing it, that's mainly down to the parent. Most parents upon seeing an age restriction would think "Hand on a minute, it's probably best that my under age child doesn't go on that ride". The parents would enforce it themselves. Any kids under the likely age limit wouldn't be running around on their own (unless of course they had bad parents) and so it ceases to become a problem.

At the end of the day, a four year old is growing at an incredible rate, and is not that strong. If the ride has a history of making adults sick, then surely, a four year old child would suffer a lot more. For example, if you gave a pint of beer to a four year old child, it would become very ill, maybe even die. Give it to an adult on the other hand, even one who has never drunk alchohol before, won't feel to worse off for it. It seems that if something that can make grown adults sick, would be very dangerous for a young child?

X_FIREFALCON said:
The best point you guys made was that until we know more, you really can't conclusively pin the blame completely on any party.
It's not that you can't conclusively pin the blame completely on any party - rather, you cannot pin the blame even partially, conclusively or inconclusively, on any party. As far as I can see, there is simply no one to blame here at all.

I guess maybe I got ahead of myself aggressively because I'm just a bit irked with the societal methodologies currently implimented to raise children...kind of like the whole "time out" practice as opposed to instilling the kid with the fear of God of your wrath or something like that. The latter worked wonders just one or two generations back afterall.
Yeah, and I agree. But that's all the more reason to not blame parents without any evidence in situations like this. You're doing the ideas you're trying to get across a huge disfavour - as I'll explain below.

Question, though...why would they install "motion sickness bags" on this thing if it wasn't that violent a ride?
Nobody is questioning the fact that this is a violent ride. But that's exactly why people, including kids, enjoy it. I haven't heard of anyone making any profit off any kind of "drive at the speed of a sedated cow" rides. And in an amusement park (or anywhere, really), people don't tend to connect motion sickness warnings with death. Nor, for that matter, do they associate even the most severe health warnings with death - and this is the fault of people like you, who in situations like this immediately search for someone to blame. Because of people like you, companies like Disney are forced to put thousands of disclaimers up near any ride - not just the ones that are potentially deadly to a healthy four-year-old, but also the ones that might perhaps possibly potentially maybe induce a light headache in a ninety-nine-year-old with diabetes, a heart condition and a nervous disorder. Without such disclaimers, the company leaves itself open to moronic lawsuits that big companies always lose just because they're big companies. The consequence? I bet you that in that amusement park, nobody took those Disney health warnings seriously. Everybody would assume they're there as a disclaimer in case of litigation.

You might of course protest that I shouldn't be telling you this, since you never suggested this might be Disney's fault, but rather the mother's - but that just makes you more dangerous in my eyes, because where those other people might end up getting some anti-big-company law passed, you might end up getting an anti-family law passed, to prevent kids from getting hurt by their "irresponsible" parents. You're dangerous - because where you were probably not serious about your suggestion that parenthood should require a license, there are plenty of people out there who would most definitely agree with that suggestion. You might want to remember that that time "one or two generations back" that you mentioned was a time when neither the media nor the governments even dreamed of interfering with the way parents raise their kids. It's not a coincidence that without such interference, parents did a better job than they do now - so be careful what you wish for.

Quarto said:
The kid was over the height limit. I don't see how you can possibly blame this on bad parenting - the ride has health warnings, and a height limit. Your kid meets the height limit. Connect the dots - the mother had no way of knowing that this ride would be lethal for her son. This has nothing to do with bad parenting whatsoever.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up the whole thread right here. I'm embarassed to have this article connected to the one I posted about pit bulls, because they're such different events. This incident has nothing to do with bad parenting, and Jesus isn't very good at making abstract connections. :)

Gliderboy said:
How intense is this ride, as I know nothing about it. However, pulling 2Gs is nothing, I pull 2Gs all the time in my glider. I can't see how 2Gs could kill someone, even a 4 year old. I wouldn't be suprised if there was something more going on here that we don't know about, one article is not enough to base an accurate conclusion of off.
It does go at 2Gs and damn 2Gs is pretty weak. 4Gs would make sence

I just thought it was bad parenting because at such a young age as 4, the parents are usually the ones making the descicions, and it's not like he was a normal 4 year old. Either he was a tall four year old, and then it's Disney's fault for assuming anyone of that height has the strength to withstand the ride, or it's the parents' fault for not knowing about the health issue the boy had that caused him to die on the ride. Maybe they didn't ever do a full check up on him, which is something you're supposed to do every year until you're out of puberty, then do it still, but not as frequently. Maybe it really is no ones' fault, but he didn't just die of unknown causes, they're preforming an autopsy to figure out what it was that killed him. Hopefully that will resolve a few issues my statements seem to have brought up...

powell99 said:
It does go at 2Gs and damn 2Gs is pretty weak. 4Gs would make sence

Yeah, we've got a 4.5 G ride in downtown Seattle which isn't too bad. I wouldn't recommend it for a 4 year old, but 2Gs should really be fine.

Jesus said:
I just thought it was bad parenting

Of course the parents were making decisions here, but just because something bad happens, it doesn't automatically means bad parenting was the result. This seems like quite a simple accident. It's not Disney's fault, because there were numerous warnings that people must also be healthy in addition to being above the minimum height. And it's probably not the parents' fault, because the ride wasn't really dangerous. There are plenty of weird things that people suffer from which don't show up on reasonable medical exams. Every once in a while you hear about a professional athelete who just ups and dies during a jog/practice/non-strenuous activity because of a previously undetected heart condition or whatever. Either way, this is a completely different situation from the outright abuse in the other thread.

OK..this will be my last post here (in this thread)...let me preface it by saying that nothing below here is intended as a last-second sucker punch. I'm just hoping to clarify my stance so I can leave here feeling like I gave it one last shot to explain my position relative to your guys'...and as always, my sentiments here are a matter of personal opinion, not universal truth, so feel free to discard it all as rubbish at your leisure...

As everybody else is saying, the only conclusive thing that can bring any kind of final say to this whole issue of discussion is an autopsy that lists a cause of death. Until then, all our arguments here (for those of us who aren't fence-sitters) are, admittedly, speculation at best.

Why did I argue as I did? How many of you here commenting that I'm wrong are parents and have kids that are four years old? I myself have never been a parent, so again...I can only speculate based on what I've personally seen. What I've seen is that kids four years old have an overly simplistic view of the world, don't know what they want, and still aren't sure how to explain what they want. So the whole argument about the four year old wanting to go on the ride just doesn't hold any water in my opinion. My guess (yes, guess) is that the mother wanted to go and dragged the 4-year-old along. My whole argument is based on this "assumption," which seems the more probable scenario in my opinion and consideration.

Now as some have mentioned, the kid's death could have been some freakish thing similar to the heart failure we've seen joggers and others experience. Unfortunately, if this turns out to be the case, this may not be something that would be easily discernable from an autopsy. So if the cause of death is indeterminate, we're all just left to our imagination or speculation at best...

Now then...others here have commented that 2G's is "nothing." Would you feel similar if you were 4 years old, when your body is still developing including your organs and skeletal structure, and your body hasn't yet been subjected to the wears and tears on it that the rest of us older bodies have gleaned from years of wear and tear? Can you honestly say that G-forces are as harmless to very young people or very old people as they are to those of us somewhere in-between? Isn't that a little presumptuous?

To LeHah:

In my arguments, I try to draw on what others before me have said. If you're saying that I shouldn't have referenced what others have said in my lengthy discertations, then it would seem pointless to have a discussion because peoples' arguments would be completely independent of one another, much like having a forum full of flapping heads and closed ears (or eyes), which seems pointless to me.

As for the "obvious" sarcasm I stated...it's not obvious in that any normal person could clearly see it (though I had hoped such was the case). When I said "obvious," I meant after following my line of logic in the explanation leading up to the point where I said it was "obvious." Hopefully that makes some kind of sense...if not, just shrug, consider me an idiot, and move on. I won't fault you for it, k? :)

Yes, people don't generally die from motion sickness, though I'm sure there are some examples of that causing an acid build-up in their stomach forcing them to hurl, and then they choke on it. I don't know...if you're really all that curious, you could probably look it up on the internet - there's all kinds of freakish things that happen to people, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's something out there. Honestly, I was referring more to the people with "chest pains," though...which have inevitably led to the untimely demise of others who have not gone onto this ride, which should be considered and examined more closely for safety reasons in some people, I think.

You may be right about people online being "armchair philanthropists"...what's the alternative? None of you are convinced my ideas are even all that worthwhile...why should I commit my life to trying to make them a reality with the kind of opposition I've already faced here? As for the well-being of mankind, you can keep it. I just feel bad when ignorance costs any creature it's life, whether it's a four year old on a ride or a fawn on a major highway. If you can't understand or appreciate that, that's fine. But it's just something quirky about the way I am, so don't fault it or confuse my sensitivity for some fool's crusade I'm launching to save mankind while I'm tucked away in the safety and serenity of my computer chair. While yes, I have tried that...I soon after gave it up when I realized how pointless the endeavor was and when I realized that I'm not a god (in other words, what right do I have to launch said crusade?).

Does it mean I care less about all those lives that are lost that we don't hear about? No. Everytime I hear about something terrible happening, my heart aches even if I'm not close to any of the people affected. It's a sympathetic sadness for what was lost. If the rest of you don't even bat an eye, that's fine. But again - this is just a quirk of the way I am. I care. But again, it doesn't mean I'm launching any crusades over anything. If someone wants or needs my help, they can ask...otherwise, I generally don't dispense any energies for anyone else's betterment - mostly because I'm lazy, but also philosophically because it's not my place to try and be a hero without an invitation to (just because I think something needs to change doesn't give me the right to try and change it, ya know?).

Besides, everyone has their own hardships to endure...making them reliant on someone else's help does a disservice to the existence of the person to conquer their own hardships and build their own character in the process. In essence, we humans are remarkably talented at creating our own hell, and it's up to us to get ourselves out of it on our own. Going the extra mile for the other person is truly a noble act, but it also opens one up to naivety which is then exploited by those looking for continuous free handouts rather than fending for themselves. Granted, some unfortunate souls are truly benign beings who could use a helping hand from time-to-time, but how do you distinguish between the two? Is it so wrong to expect other people to rise to challenges themselves, or should we make the weaker forever dependent on the stronger?

To Quarto:

I am one of these ones who believes parenthood should require a license, yes (that wasn't a joke). In my mind, it's the best way to ensure those brought into this world have the best opportunities to thrive, that they will be looked after, and that they're not used and discarded for the sake of milking the welfare system or some other selfish act. Government intervention should disappear from there, and people should be allowed to raise their children as they see fit provided they have a license. Does this seem radical? Yep...but it will nonetheless become inevitable at some finite point in the future should Earth's population continue to grow world-wide unchecked.

You called me dangerous...I found that a bit laughable, no offense to you or your words (it just made me laugh at what you said and myself a bit). You - and many of the others here - would probably feel better demonizing the things I'm suggesting, considering them to be the words of a completely radical mind, and you're welcome to think that (I'm not here to argue differently). But should the world continue on its present course, I would be curious to see your thoughts on the matter in the years to come.

Why am I not dangerous? First, because I have no power...all I have is the few insane posts I give on these forums (and one other on the Internet which I don't really post in anymore anyway). Second, because people like me are not in the majority. Even if my ideas were truly radical, this world has nothing to fear from me. I'm a peace-loving sort who isn't looking to force my ways on others, and who isn't condemning anyone for not going along with him. Yet, strangely, it is quite the opposite in this conversation which I find interesting...what strange sequence of events landed me in the position of the condemned, I wonder...? :)

Regarding the issue of warning signs:

These exist ONLY because of legal matters...it's businesses' way of covering their own butts. As such, they are ignored by most people until it comes time for them to try and sue. Common sense dictates that a cup of coffee is hot or that a ride is more violent. The signs are there for anti-litigation purposes. None of my commentary or anyone else's changes such a thing. The point here is that the signs did warn that pregnant women should not ride it...how much of a stretch is it to assume that a four-year old would probably also be wise to avoid it? Four-year-olds should be on merry-go-rounds, slower monorails, etc....not on rides well known for giving people motion sickness (if it's to the point where they have "motion sickness bags," they know there's enough of an issue there with making people ill). That's why it's an issue of parenting here...I can't see it as anything but that transparently the more I think about it. She shouldn't have taken her kid on that ride; common sense would tell a person that it's unsuitable for a 4-year-old. That's why I'm in agreement with "Jesus'" initial sentiments on this topic. If you're not, fine...but I hope you either change your tune when you have kids of your own someday or simply don't have kids for fear of the same thing happening down the pike to you and your progeny.

At any rate...everyone here is entitled to their opinion as they are everywhere else. To me, the whole reason "Jesus" brought this topic up for discussion was to spark a philosophical discussion (call it a "debate" if you want, but I'd rather like to refer to it as a "discussion" which I find to be a bit more intellectually stimulating and enlightening). He gave a link to the article for us all to read through, then had the balls to share his initial opinion. I commend it and value it because I believed it brought up an intriguing discussion, not because I sought a forum to lambast you all with my crazy ideas and antics, or because I saw a bandwagon to jump on.

The strange thing is, there are responses here telling me more or less to shut up, and that I shouldn't post how I feel and what I have to say, or that they're wrong, all the while I'm trying to respect everyone else's ground and am trying to add something to the discussion while others seem instead intent on taking verbal potshots until I grow weary and leave.

And so for the benefit of you and I myself, I have instead chosen to do just that. I've again chosen to take my leave of yet another thread, giving some the satisfaction of having won a forum war I myself have been ignorant of to the very end. I can only apologize to those I've offended or spooked with my commentary. Having felt ousted from two threads now, I think I will instead invest my future energies simply on all those things Wing Commander that are tailored more to personal opinions and experiences than necessarily to philosophical dialogue. Meanwhile, I will do my best to bite my tongue on all things philosophical in the future as I can see the very concept of philosophy tends to rub so many the wrong way.

My last words on this topic will simply echo the sentiment many of you have voiced...I hope you guys are indeed right and I am indeed wrong as that would profoundly simplify matters. As always, only the passage of time will tell for sure.

Alright...I'm leaving. Again, sorry, guys...I meant no offense, nor to stir up any hostilities. I fear I may have come up short on both accounts, and such was never my intention.

Take care...

Respectfully,
FireFalcon ~};^

X_FIREFALCON said:
I am one of these ones who believes parenthood should require a license, yes (that wasn't a joke). In my mind, it's the best way to ensure those brought into this world have the best opportunities to thrive, that they will be looked after, and that they're not used and discarded for the sake of milking the welfare system or some other selfish act. Government intervention should disappear from there, and people should be allowed to raise their children as they see fit provided they have a license. Does this seem radical? Yep...but it will nonetheless become inevitable at some finite point in the future should Earth's population continue to grow world-wide unchecked.

Anyone who throws out such a radical notion should actually be more well versed on the issue. It doesn't look like you've thought it through. As has already come up on the board recently, Japan and some European contries are actually facing a population crisis where the government must now encourage couples to have multiple children. There is a clearly a negative correlation between how advanced a culture is and their population growth. The only place where the population is growing out of control is in the third world where local governments have absolutely no means to limit population growth. The population is uneducated and the government is too busy dealing with basic life sustenance to deal with reproductive health. China formally had a one-child policy that ended up being unenforceable. So the idea that restricting child birth is an inevitable eventuality is absurd, because the only societies that need such restrictions are inherently unable to provide them. Once a culture reaches the point where they gain that capability, natural proclivities level the population off just fine. Whether we reach that point before we run out of resources is a separate issue.

Remember when Fabio was endorsing that roller coaster and on his first ride a bird hit him in the face? That was funny.

Back