3D cockpits

|BoH_Havoc|

Spaceman
Hi there,
i just had a look at the FAQ and this part got my attention:

What about 3d cockpits?
No artist is currently working on them but the code is ready.

fact is, that i am currently modeling the cockpits of the ships of privateer. At first i wanted to use them in my privateer remake i'm working on, but then i had a look at wcnews (for the first time in a while) and found out that there already is a privateer remake in work. I dropped the project (that was just some hours ago ;) ). Well, nothing to be sad about as you did a great job already and my remake was still in a pre alpha state and looked like crap :) . Besides that there are also other wc games which are worth being remaked ;) .
Alright, enough of my lifestory ... don't want to bother you guys to much ;) .

I already finished the cockpit of the tarsus. If you want it for your remake, send me a mail with the format you need (.3ds .obj or whatever) and what size the texture should have, so it has the highest resolution as possible as it's quite near the camera and shouldn't look to blury ;)

the current polygon count is 2337
the current texture size is 512x512

here's a pic :
rendered
ingame (as it looks in my poor remake ;) | the bright colors of the displays are only placeholders as these aren't working yet (and never will ^^) )

let me know if you could use them :)

and now i'll start playing the 0.9 beta ... the dl just finished ;)

BoH_Havoc out

tis already been done. that tarsus has, the centurion is in progress (albeit slow because of real life pulling me away from my computer). its good work. a might bit innacurate, a little low poly, but great work none the less. you're texture work is awesome though, we could really REALLY use a good texture artist.

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=16524 <-- this should take you to where my tarsus pit resides. and my centurion cockpit so far is lurking in the 'whats that cent' thread.

Brad Mick

sry didn't see that post of yours ^^
as for the textures: i need the original model for making them, as i don't paint them by hand, but render them directly on the model using muliple layers for dirt, bumpmapping and offsetmapping and stuff like that ;)
Just send me the model ( 3ds is fine, obj would be better ;) ) and i'll skin that good looking mesh for you :)

BoH_Havoc

[edit] as for the low poly: it's low poly because i didn't know what the engine i was using can handle so i tried to keep it as low as possible :) not all my models are low poly like this ;)
btw: are you directly connected to your comp with your brain or what? i just wanted to do this edit and you already replied ^^

sweet! i did uv unwrap it, but if you can do a nicer map of it, that'd be great! daniel should be able to provide you with links for downloading the meshes.

Havoc, where the hell have you been? Get back in contact with Reckoning, Freelancer supports cockpits now!

We need you man, we need you.

Heya Bob! Long time no seen :)

hehe well i thought you didn't need me anymore ;)
Besides that i posted a msg sometime ago that you guys can contact me at any time if you need my help :)
well just send me a mail and tell me how i can help you out :)

BradMick: I still need the mesh for rendering the texture. Could you give me a link where i can dl it or send it by mail? :) [edit] forget it, I just checked my mail ^^

BTW: it's a lot of fun playing you guys remake! good job so far! although it's a bit weird that the ships can fly backwards and do some funny movements. But that's just my worthless oppinion :) keep it up *thumbsup*

BoH_Havoc

I'm trying to refrain from making an off color comment to describe my reaction to those shots. Those are amazing. Brad, your awesome mesh has found a worthy texture. Great job Havoc!

Things to do: The displays would work better black (perhaps with some light glinting off them if you don't like solid black). It will be easier to read instruments against a black background :) Easy change.

Also that oval thing in the upper left where you have a pinkish glow looks to me in the originals like a glowing light (see attached pic). Would be nice to have it glowing red or something.

Beyond that, I think it's good to go. Send em on over. Renders would be fine too. The renders' dimensions should be some power of 2 (512, 1024, 2048 etc) to be loaded in Vegastrike.

Attachments

• tarsus-light.jpg
    tarsus-light.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 201
Outstanding!

This absolutely completes what is already the finest project being done anywhere, 3D cockpits is the final touch and absolutely should be a high priority, you spend more time in them than anywhere else!

Just one guys opinion who loves the game! Great job!

Nice work so far, anyway i prefer Johnny's Cockpit i've attached. You can improve yours by making the surfaces more metal like, the whole cockpit darker and a lot more durst around for example on the interface devices they should look old (dirty buttons...) and not clean and new rarely used, remember the tarsus is already a very old ship.

Attachments

• tarsus_cockpit.jpg
    tarsus_cockpit.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 285
about hte panel lines :

if you can do a bump map, and diffuse map, separately.

then render the bumpmap int the diffuse map for a 3rd texture.

use that as the final one.

Daniel is gonna add real time lighting to the cockpits at some point.
so we could use separate diffuse + bump maps for later.

-scheherazade

be better off converting the bump map to a normal map. Bump maps don't interact with lighting to well on account of their gray scale setup.

Brad Mick

well, we'll be using normal maps for lighting purposes.

bump are directly derivable into normal maps.
so from a game engine perspective, you just generate normal maps from bump maps.

but to integrate normal maps into bump maps, you gotta start at some point,and integrate out form it, then take your result and normalize it to 255. so it's a little more calculation. (barely tho).

also bump maps are easy to manually adjust, while normal maps have to be integrated into bump maps for manual editing.

aside from that, you can do lighting with both bump maps and normal maps easilly.

but if you wanna ever implement the height-map feature (actaully tessellates a simple mesh into a higher one) then bump maps are the way to go, since as far as i know there are no tools that do relief from normal maps. its possible, but prolly more work.

in any case, both are ez to do. same procedure. just render to texture high->low meshes. or manually make a bump map in photoshop :) then convert it to a normal map.

-scheherazade

yeah, lighting works with bumps, but not well. which is why normal maps are so kick ass. it allows light to fully and realistically interact with the object. bump maps don't do that as well. and also, you're thinking of a displacement map. normal maps don't perturb/tesselate/whatever the object. it only fakes it. displacement maps actually add geometry by dividing the mesh, blah-di-blah-di-blah. to much crap. lol.

Brad Mick

Back