Wing Commander fans have made a wide range of truly amazing patches over the years, and one of the most technically impressive is the suite of upgrades that enables modern high quality graphics, multiplayer and enhanced DVD movies in Wing Commander Prophecy. This is mostly accomplished by applying HCl's Enhancement Package as well as the OpenGL Patch by Pedro, PopsiclePete and team. However, time marches on, computer hardware gets better and operating systems change. This has increased the chance that some particular setup configurations aren't compatible with all of the aforementioned tweaks. Pedro is trying to gauge how many fellow Wingnuts are affected by this in order to help prioritize future work between upgrading these patches or working on his various fan projects. Answering the poll question below will provide valuable feedback - and feel free to follow up with more detail at the CIC Forums!
- Install Prophecy (the GOG edition is fine)
- Download the WCP Enhancement Package, and unzip the files straight into the WCP folder. Make sure you DON'T overwrite Prophecy.exe or WCPHR.DLL
- Install the OpenGL Package
- Right-click on Prophecy.exe, select "Properties", "Compatibility" tab, and remove the "Win98" compatibility flag. Make sure you also click on the "All users settings" button at the bottom and remove it there too.
- Download the DVD movies, and unzip them into a folder called "Movie" in the WCP folder.
There are some DVD issues with the last few patches, and HCl has taken something of a break from everything online. I started to investigate alternative methods - ideally something inbuilt rather than a seperate window. It looked promising, the main concern was the audio. The DVD playback I added for the WCIV Remake would be applicable, but without expanding on the DivX patch HCl made it would have to use the low quality audio... maybe the increased compatibility would still make that a win however.