Zen and the Art of Missile Evasion

Killer Wolf

Spaceman
Just getting back into Prophecy/Special Ops. Playing on "Nightmare" setting, i find i run out of flares/chaff/decoys/whatever you wanna call them fairly fast as the aliens spit missiles like they're going out of fashion. in a nimble ship w/ a rapid fire gun (dust cannons kick a$$!) you can sometime spin and nail the missile as it comes at you, but it's a hit and miss affair (unless i've just gotten hopeless over the years!)

anyone got any other tips/tricks??

KW
//\oo/\\

Hit the after burners and out run the missile when you can. If things get too dicey then use a flare. But don't shoot them off all the time.

The best way to avoid a missile is to kill that goddamned Moray before he fires any. But, I know that isn't always possible.

Try to get inside the missiles turning radius if possible that way it flies by you and can't turn quick enough to hit you before you can hopefully put a good amount of distance between you and it...

Jink and, as it closes in, make a sudden, hard maneuver, like Dundradel is talking about. Cut your burners, hard turn, hit the burners sort of thing. If you turn with the burners on, your turn radius is wider, so release them for a second before you turn. That works a little bit better, because it gives the missile less time to hit you. Also, don't fly straight at Salthis in UE. It's very, very embarassing to get killed by a dumbfire, and I have been at least once by not paying attention.

Sometimes dropping a decoy during a hard maneuver will help spoof the lock.

Also, any of the tactics discussed here or in above posts work reasonably well in FreeSpace 2, if anyone also plays that game.

Back