Your own ideas for weapons/equipment for WC?

Sycorax: That could be feasible, as in Fleet Action the new model belly mounted laser on the Broadsword has that capability. So, putting that on a Ferret or Arrow or the like could work well. Conversely, that could allow the bomber to fire off its torpedo load, and evade the hail of fire, for which a lighter, faster, more manuverable ship would be slightly more able to survive in.

TC: Didn't Joshua have the same exact "why am I stupid" post before?

RyanCole: Your ideas are incredibly naive, and in the face of logical criticism, you ignore all logic and continue to spit out Rube Goldberg hackneyed ideas that could and would not work in actual combat, for most pilots are not suicidal, and the ones that are (like Maniac) would rather use a nuke or shoot the enemy instead of launching painted cable basketball frozen popsicles or the like.

Finally, why not revert to the old school Kilrathi torpedoes that had nuclear warheads? Those would be cool...

You capture fighters on WC4. You use leech guns. Leech guns are so cheap the UBW can afford them.

What is so illogical about my ideas? I've stated how they could be done. You have yet to state how they can't be done.

Ok. Let's begin.

Prototypical pilot flying special "Painty Can" Sabre. Since there is heating gear, nozzles, etc. attached instead of missiles, the external capacity is reduced, and the power requirement is increased.

Enemy 2: Jalkethi. See's Sabre. Fires missile. If Sabre is alive, he goes and tries to squirt a hot load of paint. Oh no, the range is really short because the paint won't go very far without crystallizing in space's vacuum.

Of course, by then, either the Jalkethi or his wingcat or whatnot is in good guns range, because to hit the cockpit, that reduces the approach vector to a limited arc (basically from head on or above). Wingcat smokes Sabre.

Cable tow system. Also reduced external stores and increased power. So he goes off and launches, attaching his fighter to the enemies. Of course, since the Confed fighter is tied to the enemy, all the Kilrathi has to do is either to get in range of a friendly cat, capship, or to do some wild manuevers, which will remove the cable and damage the Terran.

Or, he misses, wasting a precious shot opportunity. Thus ensuring his own death.

In my other reply to your foolishness, I have given an example of what happens to CapShips who try to launch boarding attacks. (Boom!)

Enough with you.

Expendable forgot to attach this picture with his post.

fool.JPG

wow. This is Wing Commander, not Crash Bandicoot in Space.

re: tractor beams. It might be a good idea to try and rig the turrets on, say, a Broadsword to be able to fire tractors and guns at once, so you can grab an enemy light fighter and hold it in your sights while you pound it... but that has the downside that the tractor beam might grab your shots as well, depending on range. Also, you grab another fighter craft and both of you start swinging around your common center of (momentum?), which could be generally unpleasant but might be something for a last-ditch Maniac move.

Re: other weapons... the only things I can think of that I want offhand are truly longrange missiles, out around 40k range, with a huge speed and decent miss possibility... not unlike the MRMs of today's air forces. One shot = one kill, if it hits. And there are editors to give me those, so...
I guess Im happy. :)

As any 8 year old kid knows, they can strap a paintball gun or a tow rope to their PowerWheels jeep and have some fun. All your ideas can be done Ryan, the problem is there are already better ways to do the tasks that you are intending them for. For disabling enemy fighters for research and backwards engineering, Confed developed the leech missile and the BW developed the leech gun. These two weapons disrupt all electrical power to a ship, even with shields up (ie you don't have to batter down the shields to use them). This prevented the Kilrathi from firing weapons, running away, or blowing their own ships up (committing zukara) rather than being captured, which all Kilrathi warriors would most likely do. Your paintball gun would do neither, all the systems on the fighter would still be active, therefore the pilot could still fly by sensors alone or do all of the above mentioned actions. In other words, leech guns/missiles are far superior to your paintball gun for disabling ships/taking prisoners.
As far back as WC1, some fighters have been equipped with tractor beams. This is far superior to a tow cable for bringing in disabled fighters for one major (and several minor) reason, you can control the object that is under the tractor beam. If you have a tow rope around a fighter and are skimming along at a few hundred kps and you need to stop suddenly, you can't . . . unless of course you don't mind a few dozen tons of fighter craft slamming into your ass at a few hundred kps. If you use a tractor beam, as you begin to deccelerate, the tractor beam (taking a guess at the physics involved here) becomes a repulsor beam, slowing the ship in conjunction with yours. Even if this isn't true, since you have control over direction, you don't have to tow the ship directly astern as you would in a tow cable arrangement, thereby allowing the ship to sail past you if you have to stop suddenly.
The stupidity part of your posts (and this just dealt with the weapons you have proposed, I'm not even gonna touch anything else) comes from the fact that if you were even the least bit familiar with WC, you would know this. This goes for your other views too, such as having Kilrathi prisoners convince others to defect or whatever other crap you proposed. There are very good reasons why your ideas are not feasible and ignoring everyones explainations as to why this is the case is a great way to get a big "stupid" brand put on your forehead.
I can't believe I just spent 20 minutes of my life typing this. I need a "stupid" brand too :(.

Edit: a whole crapload of people beat me to it :)
C-ya

RyanCole said:
What is so illogical about my ideas? I've stated how they could be done. You have yet to state how they can't be done.

Being imposible is not the same as being stupid. Everyone has explained how they are stupid. You have yet to explain how they are not stupid.

Viper, for a second I forgot that it was your post, and thought it sounded a lot like LeHah . . . assign whatever positive or negative value to that you like :p

Remember how, at the Battle of Midway, American torpedo planes and dive bombers dropped individual marines onto Japanese aircraft carriers, capturing Yamamoto's entire fleet?

Of course you don't, because that'd be really freaking stupid.

overmortal said:
Viper, for a second I forgot that it was your post, and thought it sounded a lot like LeHah . . . assign whatever positive or negative value to that you like :p
Hehe, actually I think it sounded alot like me. And since I have to put up with me 24-7, I think I would know what I sound like, therefore I win this arguement. ;)

C-ya

How about a missile like the swarmer anti bomber missile except that instead of attacking fighters, it would split instead into 7 anti-radiation missiles so you can kill half a dozen turrets with one missile.

Just my idea

Edfilho said:
I seriuosly think he suffers from some mental disorder. And I'm not kidding. He freaks me out.

But then if that happens, the protestors will say we can't do anything to him because he's not responsible for his actions afterall :(

Bandit LOAF said:
Remember how, at the Battle of Midway, American torpedo planes and dive bombers dropped individual marines onto Japanese aircraft carriers, capturing Yamamoto's entire fleet?

Of course you don't, because that'd be really freaking stupid.

Unless of course, he was under the impression that BattleField 1942 is 110% realistic...

Sylvester said:
How about a missile like the swarmer anti bomber missile except that instead of attacking fighters, it would split instead into 7 anti-radiation missiles so you can kill half a dozen turrets with one missile.

Just my idea

Read End Run - the missile already exists, and costs several million per unit. However, it splits into -50- HARM missiles, which coordinate with one another through a command unit on the squadron commander's craft.

psych said:
But then if that happens, the protestors will say we can't do anything to him because he's not responsible for his actions afterall :(

They can protest ALL they want, after he gets his wooden-chair high-voltage perm.
:rolleyes:

Sylvester, that was a pretty decent idea (aside from it having already been done). Good job. You've taken a step in the right direction.

Now continue to take many more. :)

Back