Your first Wing Commander game?

Kurasawa 2, any mission in an Epee, and for the rest it's been too long ago to remember.

It would be interesting to have a poll attached to this, though I can get the same effect by counting up all the answers :D

Privateer, the EA Classics (or EA gold or sometithing like that) CD version, with Righteous Fire and full speech included. Best 10 bucks I ever spent. I still have that CD (had to polish off some scratches a couple years ago) and it is the only game that old that I still play (discounting the occasional minute wasted on tetris or solitaire)

I was rather disappointed that Privateer 2 wasn't set in Gemini, I had really wanted to experience that world (with Kilrathi etc) in a more up to date engine. Unfortunately I never got to try it for its own merits: from 1997-1999 I had no computer and played no computer games. By the time I got back I no longer had the urge to try out Priv 2, though Priv 1 was easy enough to slip back into :)

Wing Commander 3 on my then brand spanking new AST Pentium 60. Then I had to buy a 2X CDROM for $250.00. And a cheap ass clone sound card for $50.00. But the game was AWESOME!!! :D

My first wing-commander game..

Was Wing Commander 3.

It came with a 2-button/2-axis joystick, and 4 CD Roms(and I still have them in the heavy safe).

I played this on a Pentium 90 Mhz computer and it was pretty neat.

My first wing commander experience was playing a Prophecy demo off of the Need For Speed 3 disk. Had to have played those missions about 15-20 times apeice. That was back on my 333 Mhz 64 ram Dell machine. I couldn't Prophecy at Wal*Mart or anywhere else for that matter. I downloaded secret ops took about 10 hours on a 56k connection. I was so mad when I found out it only had 4 missions. About 2 years later I dl'd all the episodes. Then I played through UE last summer. I bought Prophecy deluxe and played through it in about a day. I was really surprised not to ever get the Rescue Transports and Spyder's wing during the H'Rass missions. Maybe the mission was on there but was unwinnable (the transports were scripted to explode). There also wasnt a destroy enemy carrier mission in that system either.

Claymore said:
My first wing commander experience was playing a Prophecy demo off of the Need For Speed 3 disk. Had to have played those missions about 15-20 times apeice. That was back on my 333 Mhz 64 ram Dell machine. I couldn't Prophecy at Wal*Mart or anywhere else for that matter. I downloaded secret ops took about 10 hours on a 56k connection. I was so mad when I found out it only had 4 missions. About 2 years later I dl'd all the episodes. Then I played through UE last summer. I bought Prophecy deluxe and played through it in about a day. I was really surprised not to ever get the Rescue Transports and Spyder's wing during the H'Rass missions. Maybe the mission was on there but was unwinnable (the transports were scripted to explode). There also wasnt a destroy enemy carrier mission in that system either.

I'm not sure if it's what your getting at, but the demo missions were never in the retail version of prophecy. It was an incentive to get both. However it does seem like the missions do fit into the timeline at that point in the game.

On another note, I thought it was a really unique experience having to download episodes. I always anticipated the next ST:TNG episode for example, so to transfer that experience and feeling by being able to play 3-4 missions in a couple of hours (or less if you won the first time through) and then having to wait a week to find out what happens next was really great. As soon as I got a new episode I couldn't wait and would blast through it right away.

My first experience was with the original WC, but at the time I was too young to fully appreciate it. The same happened with WC2, but when WC3 came out in 94 I rocked it with my Gateway P-60 with 800MB of ram and a 16-bit sound card...I was hooked by the incredible acting and gameplay and went back to WC 1&2 and went forward to WC:SO.

My first Wing Commander experiance was in 1990-1991 when i was 4-5 sitting on my dads knee playing wing commander 1. Took me a couple of years to relise that if you keep on ejecting at the begining of every mission you wont win :)

Wing Commander 1 Amiiga Version much much later my brother bought WC4 when it came out.These where my first 2 wc games and since then I am a big fan.

Now I own them all (original) in lots of formats (PC,Snes,Amiga,PSX etc)

Wing Commander III PC with Bootdisk :)
That was for me another World of gameing!
It was wonderfull to play this game.

Mace said:
wing commander 1 on my 286/20 with VGA and a soundblaster pro clone and an extremely large ugly and very cheap joystick.

Well, except my CPU was only a 286/16, exact same story here...
When WC2 came out, I had to erase some of my parent's files to save space on the HDD (only 20Mb :rolleyes: ) and couldn't access the PC for a week as a punishment ...

That week might just be the moment I simultaneously became half-crazy and fell in love with the WC games :p

Would've been a bit bigger than 20 megs for WC2, but that had a great installation program. Took hours to decompress all the files.

I think you are exaggerating. I don't recall WC2 needing hours to decompress. Now if we talk about Strike Commander, that is a different topic *sigh*

I had a friend who had Wing Commander I, and was quite enthusiastic about it.
He started it up, and talked me through it, but I was into BattleTech, MechWarrior, and the Forgotten Realms RPG games, so I became frustrated very quickly.

A few years later, I found Privateer, with the speech pack, in a discount bin at a local computer store.
As I was bored, with no new games around to interest me, I thought I'd give it a try.
I became hooked! One of my all-time favorite games!

When I discovered that Privateer was a Wing Commander game, I began looking for others.
I discovered Academy, or was it Armada?
But it wasn't what I'd hoped for.

When games started having live-action cut-scenes, I discovered Wing Commander III, Privateer II, then Wing Commander IV, and then Prophecy.
Except for Prophecy's loadout problem, I love them all, and still play them.

Mine was Wing Commander for the SNES. I never destroyed any cap ships (Taking "you don't HAVE to destroy them" a little too much to heart), so I got a bad ending. *L* Then I went through it again and got the best ending. Ah, those were the days...

Privateer 1 for me. After I worked out how to play that one without dying (I was only 10 at the time) I moved on to all the other WC games. Ahhh Happy Days.

My first WC game was academy. I remember I was probably about 7 at the time and I wandered into the computer store with my dad. They had a good sized display with WC stuff. I asked my dad about it and he said that they had bout a million different WV games. They all looked really cool and I decided to get academy since I figured it would be easiest.

It took me a while to figure it out but I got pretty good after a while. Then I saw the Kilrathi saga at best buy a few years later and bought it, I'd say its the best money I've ever got my parents to spend (since I was maybe 10 years old at the time)

My first Wing Commander was WC1 in 1990/91 on a 386DX/33Mhz. Everything controlled by the mouse at the time (which I found impossible for WC3 / WC4).

Back