Your first Wing Commander experience?

my first Experience was WC4 its a Awesome game the actors are Great i love Catscrach its funny when u shoot down the bad Guys down and some of them scream b4 blowing up its fun i been Trying WC3 but the sound is really bad in the game has anyone know how i can sort this proplem out or mind u i proberly buy a old pc for it lol

NuclearPenguins said:
1990 and WC1. I was 9 years old.

I feel so old now. :(

We ARE so old now. At least we're getting there. You'll notice something strange though... we're actually pretty old for the average user on this board. Weird.

I'm actually pretty young blood. The oddity about my WC career is that it is somewhatchronologically reversed:
Start with WCP demo, liked the game and got the full version. Then got Gamestar CD with Secret Ops demo, super cool! Didn't find anything about it and was sad that it's over in four missions. Then heard that it's free for download one year later and hat lots of fun with out.
By the time I didn't care much about the other parts of the series, thought WCSO is the most advanced, thus best game. Till I got the WC4 demo somehow. It was OK for me, bought the game and LOVED it. I was pissed about the overpowered missiles sometimes (I still am, any patch to tweak 'em down to size? They seem to do twice the damage they say) and wanted something similar. So WC3 came into the house. Awesome game, love at first glance. Now, I surfed through the you-know-what-dogs page and found Kilrathi Saga. This is pure nostalgia, the graphics aren't an issue for me, but the random crashing...

Now I'm here, playing Unknown Enemy and Standoff, waiting for new mods to pop up.

Thanks for reading my story.

First time I played WC was when it came out on the Amiga. (92/93ish?)

I'll have been 19 then. Spent the next couple of years hoping WC2 would come out on the amiga before I got my first PC.

Since then, bought every one of them as they came out.

1997, I was 12 years old, went to the video store to rent Mortal Kombat 3, they didn't have it. Saw Wing Commander 4 with Luke Skywalker, so I rented it. The rest is history, as they say.

I've pretty much been with the series since the begining. When wc1 came out I remember playing it at my cousins house. (hehe... I did the eject thing too just to see the cut scene animations) But it wasn't untill I picked up a gold edition of wc2 (my cousins had wc2 for quite a while before on floppy) that any of us really got into it. I worked through the whole game and for the first time payed attention to the amazing story. I almost had to twist their arms to get them to buy wc3 and four. I bought privateer, and eventualy got a creative labs dvd rom drive with the dxr2 card. I wanted a dvd drive but I think i reall just wanted wc4 on dvd. Bought prohecy. (my cousin bought priv2 so borowed it).
I think I need to track dow a copy of priv2 and definitely wc1 (maybe armada too) then I'll be able to play the whole series withought needing to borrow.
Oh, and since I picked up wc4 playstion on ebay and about a year ago happened upon wc3 playstation at EB. I had passed one up about three years before at eb (didn't have playstation) and couldn't do so again. :)

My (somewhat nerdy) uncle gave me WC2 as a christmas present(I was 9 or 10, I forget exactly what year it was but I'm 25 now). Been addicted ever since.

It really is quite something to have experienced WC from its inception. From the little tech Demo I saw running at The User's Corner (mom and pop computer shop in Southern Oregon - yes, you can make a quick joke using a drug reference if you please) to Wing Commander Prophecy, it is so incredible, the evolution of this epic. The original WC and WC 2 games are among an elite few that I feel have aged as gracefully as possible. For instance, it is hard for me to go back and play the original X-Wing after playing X-Wing Alliance and the Rogue Squadron games. It just feels too archaic....too dry. WC still gives me the same thrill each time I play as it did when I first loaded it up. I thought that the games began to get a little long in the tooth starting with Wing 4, but that is just my opinion.

I too am glad I got to start from the beginning of it all. The anticipation of waiting for the next game was downright evil! I remember counting the days until my Premier Edition of WC3 was to arrive in the mail.

Sadly it arrived the same night a dance at my school. I actually called my gf at the time and told her I wasn't feeling well and couldn't go so I could install it. Ahh.. such is youth when one would choose a videogame over nookie... but then again is was WC3 afterall, THE biggestest thing to hit the video game industry EVER!

trying to play wc3 on the playstation in a media play and not understanding what the hell was going on.

then when that pcg classic games disc came out, i played the hell outta wc1.

Nice, NuclearPenguins....nice. I would have ditched my gf to play Wing 3 when it first came out as well. Great story.

NuclearPenguins said:
Sadly it arrived the same night a dance at my school. I actually called my gf at the time and told her I wasn't feeling well and couldn't go so I could install it. Ahh.. such is youth when one would choose a videogame over nookie... but then again is was WC3 afterall, THE biggestest thing to hit the video game industry EVER!
Nice story, you're welcome to post a version of that story in the "You Might Be A Wingnut!" thread- it DEFINITELY qualifies.

My (somewhat nerdy) uncle gave me WC2 as a christmas present(I was 9 or 10, I forget exactly what year it was but I'm 25 now). Been addicted ever since.

Wing Commander 2 came out just over thirteen years ago, so you must have been twelve or so.

It really is quite something to have experienced WC from its inception. From the little tech Demo I saw running at The User's Corner (mom and pop computer shop in Southern Oregon - yes, you can make a quick joke using a drug reference if you please)

I'm sorry, at this forum we only make Wing Commander drug jokes -- they're the *ultimate* in *brilliance*. Uhm... happy, death?

I have some pretty good memories about all the releases -- from staring at the Wing Commander 3 trailer tape loop at Electronic Boutique for an hour to rushing to Babbages at the last minute on a school night to play Armada to Kilrathi Saga putting me in the hospital.

my first exp was Super Wing Commander on 3DO. i bought and played that, since mark hamil was in WC3 so i wanted to play Wing Commander. The game was pretty fun to play, and shortly after that they had WC3 there for 3DO and i bought it. the game rocked with the hi-res mpg's. after that, i bought WC4 for pc, then after that prophecy. meanwhile i got WC3 for pc, and played WCSO (a games mag downloaded the game and all episodes and put the files on there demo-cd, saved me a lot of trouble with my phone connection then)

Yeah, I remember that. PC Gamer included most of the Kilrathi Saga on a demo disc a few years back. I about wet myself when I got the magazine out of my mailbox.

well, my first experience was with my Amiga 1200, got killed many times on that first asteroid field mission, but then again, I was about 10 at the time... Eventually got my first pc, and while shopping in a store just after a birthday of mine, I saw 2 boxes, one was wing commander 1-3 (aka kilrathi saga) and wing commander 4, I had £20 and it was £20 first. I chose the former, after completing those titles, I then went back for wing commander 4 to find it had sold out, so I got privateer 2 instead which had just come out. Finally, while out shopping at electronics boutique, I saw budget release of wing 4 for £9.99 - Bargain! - Since then, I've bought Privateer, acadamy and armada from ebay, and thanks to dosbox tutorial here, I can now even play them! - Oh happy days...

Back