Your first WC game

I first saw Armada - sometime in '94. Played it multiplayer for a while - great fun. Then I saw WC1 (only the manual, actually). I think that was in late '96, in Poland (while on holidays). As soon as I got back to Papua New Guinea (henceforth to be referred to as PNG), I borrowed it from a friend. But it didn't work, blast it all
smile.gif
. So, I borrowed WC2 off him - and surprisingly, _it_ worked... until mission 4, that is
frown.gif
. Apparently, WC2 and QEMM hate each other - but at the time, all I knew was that it kept crashing.
At this point, I figured I'd give WC1 another try - and surprise, surprise, it actually worked. Played that (went down the losing path, but managed to turn things around and eventually got to Venice
smile.gif
). Then I tried WC2 again, this time with EMM386. Finished that (oddly enough, also down the losing path - didn't turn things around this time - I finished in Caernarvon, though I did win the last mission).

Since, as previously mentioned, I was in PNG, getting the others was pretty much impossible. So, for a (long) while I amused myself by replaying WC1&2 about fifteen times, and trying to write a story of what happened afterwards (the story didn't work out too well, and never really got anywhere). Oh, and I also attempted (with some success) to get the KSaga addons to work with the DOS games.

Sometime later that year, I somehow managed to intercept a copy of Priv & RF. Yay!
smile.gif
Finished Priv fairly quickly, though I didn't finish RF until 1999.

Then, in mid-'98, I went for holidays again. While passing through Singapore, I hunted down KSaga (last copy
biggrin.gif
), WC4, and WCP. Didn't get Armada because of baggage space limits, though. Anyway, I finished WCP just in time to hunt down SO - a week or two before the free download offer ended, actually. I was lucky, since I've never seen WCP Gold in my life
smile.gif

Well, that's my story
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got WC2 right when it came out... then I got privateer... etc. etc. and one day I had played them all (by one day I refer to the release date of the final SO episode.)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Where in DC do you live, Shane? I'm in nearby Maryland (G)[/B]

I work down in the land of exploding manhole covers, Georgetown. My office is above the Music City Roadhouse on Thomas Jefferson St. right by the C&O canal.

I actually live in MD, a few miles north of the beltway in Wheaton. I don't know how familair you are with this part of the state, it is just north of Silver Spring and southeast of Rockville.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited June 08, 2000).]

Dexter said:
What happened to Stingray after WC2?

He became a colonel on the TCS Enterprise and hunted down paganistic cultists with a band of telekinetics.
biggrin.gif
Quarto, I think, will be the only one that gets that.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I am a fan from the beginning, when my dad bought the first WC WAAAAAAAAYYY back in the day.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

Too bad they don't reproduce the WC series anymore. I believe it would still sell if they used some advertisement into it.

Afterall... aren't we Wing Commander fans???
wink.gif

He became a colonel on the TCS Enterprise and hunted down paganistic cultists with a band of telekinetics.
biggrin.gif
Quarto, I think, will be the only one that gets that.
And grew a beard. As I recall, he grew a beard
smile.gif

I'm in the same general area (G) I'm in the practically non existant town of Ashton in MOntgomery county... near Rockville, I guess.

I got WC2 along with my CD-ROM too! When the Sartha blew me away in my first mission, I was hooked. I finished SO2, WC3, SO1, WC2 in that order. I also got Armada, which is very tame if you got a fast graphics card.
I got WC Academy, also. So it seems, the most survivable craft in Gauntlet for me was the Broadsword. I still like that tub. The Saber was a far second. As for WC3, I like the Arrows next from the Excalibur. Sorry, I still have to scrounge for WC4 & WCP
wink.gif

Quarto said:
And grew a beard. As I recall, he grew a beard
smile.gif

Right you are.
biggrin.gif

------------------

JoeyRP said:
I got WC Academy, also. So it seems, the most survivable craft in Gauntlet for me was the Broadsword. I still like that tub. The Saber was a far second.

Never liked the Sabre. Thought the shields and particularly the armor were weaker than they should be. I like craft, like the raptor and the the Thunderbolt that can take a beating. I like to wade into a fight. I lack finese, I guess.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm in the same general area (G) I'm in the practically non existant town of Ashton in MOntgomery county... near Rockville, I guess.

Sorta bewteen Olney and Burtonsville? There's an ice cream shop/diner up there on 182 (I think) at some cross roads I've been wanting to try. I remember passing it on the way up to Rt. 32 when I was coming from Georgia Ave. Can't recall for sure what road I was on. Still finding my way around.

Also still trying to find a decent movie theater out here. The one in Rockville at the Courthouse is the best I've found. Stadium seating, seems to kept up pretty well. Columbus seems to have a lot more, nicer theaters. Probably because there is less to do there, at least to hear some folks tell it.

I assume you have Cable TV Montgomery up there? We just got the digital upgrade, and when I get back from vacation, I'm probably going to start working seriously on the network for my house and use the cable modem as the dedicated connection out.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited June 09, 2000).]

Shane said:
Earthworm, where are you from? Your learning English comment inspired the question. Especially since yours, from what I've read so far, is very good. I'm from the States born and raised in Columbus, Ohio but moved to Washnigton DC almost two years ago. I work for an insidious marketing agency as a network engineer.
I'm from Poland, a nice little country in Europe. I speak English this good because back home I took some English classes for a year, before we left.

No that it matters, but where are you now? Don't know much about Poland. The Holy Father is from there, Solidarity, Lech Walensa, Warsaw is the capital, and some general pre-WWII, WWII, and cold war knowledge.

Right now I'm in the hell hole I like to call USA.
smile.gif
I've lived here for three years, and I'm still depresed.

Earthworm: Oh, man... you better be joking.
mad.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited June 09, 2000).]

Dralthi5: Well, I'm sure you'd think Poland was a hell-hole if you went there.
smile.gif

Not that it isn't a hell-hole
smile.gif
. But it's our home-hell-hole.
biggrin.gif

Shane: Och, Australia is all right.
smile.gif

Earthworm: Relax. You'll get used to it after about six or seven years. At which point, your parents will decide to move to a different, worse hell-hole
smile.gif

Back