Your Favorite ship

I am just wondering if anyone here picked a Bomber as their favourite ship... I mean, sure they're not manoeuvreable, or anything, but they usually carry lots of missiles...

As a favourite bomber, I have to take the Longbow. (Hehehehehehe Salvos of 4 IFFs and two Torpedoes Hehehehehehe)

And not too bad on the guns either.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Quarto said:
But that's the whole damned point! The CH has different dates because the MOVIE HAS DIFFERENT DATES. And you cannot reject one without automatically rejecting the other.
Of course you can. What other source gives as a date when the Ferrets where first in service? It’s just the same situation as with the Kilrathi Dreadnought from WC3. The manual says that it’s 22km long, and FC says that it’s 22km long. It can be a mistake, but since no other source says otherwise, the Dreadnought will stay 22km long.

You wanted proof that the Movie timeline doesn't mesh with the games? Well, you've got one. So accept it. The CH ISN'T WRONG - it's just different, like the rest of the Movie.
Uh, no I never wanted any proof…….. Just because few dates don’t fit doesn’t mean the whole timeline is messed up. For example, the Custer’s Carnival happened on the same date.

And Quarto would very much appreciate it if Earthworm would stop talking about himself in third person.
And why is that?

Primarch said:
I'll agree with you on the Shrike, but how can you not like the Devastator...that ships can kill nearly anything (providing they are stupid enough to fly into its sights) with only one shot. Missiles, Mines, Torpedoes, Turrets, Plasma Cannon, Kitchen Sink...
I hate the Dev!
smile.gif
It’s got only to guns, one of which is relying on ammo, useless mines, and not that many missiles.
And is it just me or does the Tigershark look more like a Bearcat than a Hellcat?
IMO, it doesn’t look anything like those two. And just because it’s an evolutionary step over the ‘cat, or something like that, doesn’t mean it’s an upgraded Hellcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthworm said:

I hate the Dev!
smile.gif
It’s got only to guns, one of which is relying on ammo, useless mines, and not that many missiles.

Unless, of course, you're using the SO Devastator which has a complement of 99 of those mini-FF missiles... You know which ones I'm talking about... Range of exactly 10000 klicks
smile.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Earthworm said:

And just because it’s an evolutionary step over the ‘cat, or something like that, doesn’t mean it’s an upgraded Hellcat.

hehehe, yeah, from cats to tigers
smile.gif
(or sharks
wink.gif
)

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCSCRP

Anagram said:
Unless, of course, you're using the SO Devastator which has a complement of 99 of those mini-FF missiles... You know which ones I'm talking about... Range of exactly 10000 klicks
smile.gif
Yeah, but that's the Black Devastator.
smile.gif
True, it had better missiles, I really like the Mosquitos, but the guns still leave me waiting for more.

Of course you can. What other source gives as a date when the Ferrets where first in service? It’s just the same situation as with the Kilrathi Dreadnought from WC3. The manual says that it’s 22km long, and FC says that it’s 22km long. It can be a mistake, but since no other source says otherwise, the Dreadnought will stay 22km long.
Neatly done, Earthworm. That sudden change of topic, I mean. As I recall, we're not talking about Ferrets any more - we're talking about the date the war starts.
Uh, no I never wanted any proof…….. Just because few dates don’t fit doesn’t mean the whole timeline is messed up. For example, the Custer’s Carnival happened on the same date.
Wait... so the date the war starts is no big thing, I take it? Let's see... the McAuliffe offensive, the Enyo Engagement (aka McAuliffe part II), oh yeah, and lest I forget, Action Stations. All of a sudden, those things never happened - because the war wasn't on.
Well, there's no point discussing this any further with you, since undoubtedly your strange mind will somehow find the above to be inconclusive. Not that it matters, of course. Just because you can't handle the truth doesn't mean it's not out there.

...Whoa. Two truth quotes in one sentence
biggrin.gif

And why is that?
No particular reason
smile.gif
. Quarto just felt like saying that to Earthworm, because Earthworm had been doing a lot of third person talking lately.
biggrin.gif

Quarto said:
As I recall, we're not talking about Ferrets any more - we're talking about the date the war starts.
As I recall we were talking if the Ferret apearing in CH in 2639 should be considered canon.

Wait... so the date the war starts is no big thing, I take it? Let's see... the McAuliffe offensive, the Enyo Engagement (aka McAuliffe part II), oh yeah, and lest I forget, Action Stations. All of a sudden, those things never happened - because the war wasn't on.
Of course those are big things. But just because those thigs are wrong doesn't mean the rest can't be canon.

Well, there's no point discussing this any further with you, since undoubtedly your strange mind will somehow find the above to be inconclusive. Not that it matters, of course. Just because you can't handle the truth doesn't mean it's not out there.
There isn't anything to be found inconclusive. Like I said, some, maybe even most of the dates are wrong, but that doesn't mean that dates which are not contradicted by any earlier product can't be considered canon.

As I recall we were talking if the Ferret apearing in CH in 2639 should be considered canon.
We were, about five posts ago
smile.gif
. Topic Drift, remember?
wink.gif

Of course those are big things. But just because those thigs are wrong doesn't mean the rest can't be canon.
To a point. But remember - the war was shifted to make room for the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims in turn are a... vital... part of the Movie plot. But since it took a major timeline change to fit them in, they clearly couldn't exist in the main timeline. So, the Pilgrims never existed. And thus, neither did the Movie
smile.gif
. Don't get me wrong, though. I loved the Movie. But that doesn't mean that it has to be a part of the games' timeline.

Quarto said:
To a point. But remember - the war was shifted to make room for the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims in turn are a... vital... part of the Movie plot. But since it took a major timeline change to fit them in, they clearly couldn't exist in the main timeline. So, the Pilgrims never existed. And thus, neither did the Movie
smile.gif
. Don't get me wrong, though. I loved the Movie. But that doesn't mean that it has to be a part of the games' timeline.
Actually, the shifting of the timeline was completely unneccessary.
smile.gif
The Pilgrim war started in 2631 IIRC, and endded around 2635. Also, of course it doesn’t have to be a part of the game timeline, but IMO it fits quite nicely in there. And I find the whole Pilgrim thing very interesting.

Well, the author said that it was most definitely necessary, because otherwise the Kilrathi War would have started out very differently.
I suppose I could give you a quote from the above mentioned author, but just for the hell of it, I'll point out something else to you. Action Stations - I haven't read it, but a large part of the plot is about the defence minister or whatever that wants to scrap the fleet, right? And about how unprepared Confed is for the Kilrathi attack, right? Well, that can't be - because if they're fighting the Pilgrims, then nobody will be unprepared for more fighting.

I agree though. The whole Pilgrim thing was interesting. Would've been more interesting with the traitor subplot, but... <shrug>

Uh, but they don'w want to scrap the military as a whole, just reduce it size. The Pilgrims were never that much of a threat, and by 2634 they were already falling into their own systems, being pushed by Confed. Their first attack was countered by Confed, and they were forced to fall back, but Confed never really wanted to push them, just hold them off.

<Sigh> Whatever, Earthworm. I don't need to keep arguing with you when you ignore half my argument
smile.gif

And which half would that be? The 5th one, or maybe the last half?
smile.gif

Confed wasn't ready to fight the cats because no one expected them to start a fight. Technologicly Confed was equal if not superior to the Kilrathi, and size wise Confed was much larger.

No one expected a fight? And pray tell, what about all those Varni refugees? Did they not spin tales of violent, unexpected aggression?

At any rate, the facts remain. If you choose to place the Movie in the Games' continuity, then you must remove Action Stations from it. And the Enyo Engagement, and McAuliffe.

It's too bad that many features of both the movie and the games are out of sync.
(Well... at least they got Blair's rank right
biggrin.gif
)

Quarto said:
No one expected a fight? And pray tell, what about all those Varni refugees? Did they not spin tales of violent, unexpected aggression?
The Varni were peacefull, not that much in the technology department, and they weren't near the size of Confed.
smile.gif
Their defeat wouldn't do much to persuade Confed. Politicians and some military, didn't expect the weaker Kilrathi to try an attack.

At any rate, the facts remain. If you choose to place the Movie in the Games' continuity, then you must remove Action Stations from it. And the Enyo Engagement, and McAuliffe.
Of course I don't have to. At the Action Stations time, the Pilgrims were holding on Peron, and making their last stand against Confed. At 2634.288 (about 47 days before McAuliffe, and even more time before Enyo) Confed reinforcments jumped to Peron to assist the battered Confed fleet, and in two weeks overwhelmed the Pilgrim forces.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited June 03, 2000).]

It is surprising at that time that the Pilgrims got wiped out at Peron in such a short period of time. Did the Pilgrims not believe that survival was one of the ultimate goals? After all, the Pilgrims may be hated by some Confederation citizens (due to propoganda), but the Pilgrims believe true in themselves.
I was expecting them to hold out longer.

The Pilgrims didnt' know Confed existed. After the Pilgrims left, Sol was supposed to be void of life according to Pilgrim beliefs. They must of thought the war was a myth, a parrable as it were, created by their leaders.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

EW: But Action Stations can't happen when the war isn't on - and it isn't, according to the Movie
smile.gif

Back