Your Favorite ship

Works for me. It would be a shame if we couldn't use it as a bomber once, the Scim could do that though.

Dust cannons and Tachyons? That might not perhaps be the best idea unless we have techs install a better gun capicitor. That beast the Vakthoth has a mean recharge, too.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quarto said:
However, the Rapier's shield thickness is not "nearly double" as Earthworm claims - it's not even 1.5 that of the Sabre.
Um, I never claimed it's shields are nearly two times stronger. I was talking about the 'star.
smile.gif

Just so you know, a Sabre's shields are much better against flak than the Morningstars - because flak doesn't do much damage, but frequently. So, a better recharge rate means you'll live longer.
From my experience that's bull.
smile.gif

I also don't see anything that would indicate that the Gratha isn't as old as a Scim or a Raptor.
Both the Scim and Raptor are rather old at the WC1 time. The Scim is even retired in SM2.

Furthermore, I must most strenously object to Earthworm saying such utterly dumb things like "the Dralthi was never that much upgraded". Saying that not only makes Earthworm look like an idiot, it also hurts the feelings of all those Kilrathi engineers that slaved over the Dralthi for years and years, trying to make it good enough to stand up against modern Confed fighters.
Um, the Dralthi was indeed never that much upgraded. The Dralthis have changed over time, and they're more like new fighters instead of just upgrades. The WCmovie Dralthi is much different than the WC1, the WC1 is different than the Priv Dralthi, and that one is different than the WC3 Dralthi. The latest three Dralthis (WC3, WC4, WCP) are pretty much the same, and are never upgraded in any huge numbers.

Quarto said:
And if EW doesn't agree that old fighters can be upgraded to modern status, then he's a hypocrite *cough*Rapier*cough*.
Where have you seen a Rapier that has been upgraded to a modern status? The last time we heard about the Rapiers was in TPOF, in which they fell prety quickly to T-bolts, Hellcats, and even Arrows. And if you're talking about the movie Rapier, which I'm sure you are
smile.gif
, we don't know how many times it has been upgraded, or it's stats from the previous years. The CF-117B which is the one we see in the movie, is a new model of the century old Rapier, that has replaced the A model about 10 years before the movie, and the only major upgrades it got was addition of 6 more missiles and an upgraded neutron gun, plus the targeting computer. Sure fighters can always be upgraded, but most of the time they can't be upgraded enough to be on the front line status 15-20 years later (with the exception of ships like the Scim, 'Cat, 'Bow, and the Arrow). Look at the SO Excal for example. It's shields are upgraded by 50 cm, but it's armor, missiles and guns stayed the same. And so did the speed and manuverebility.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 28, 2000).]

Um, the Dralthi was indeed never that much upgraded. The Dralthis have changed over time, and they're more like new fighters instead of just upgrades. The WCmovie Dralthi is much different than the WC1, the WC1 is different than the Priv Dralthi, and that one is different than the WC3 Dralthi. The latest three Dralthis (WC3, WC4, WCP) are pretty much the same, and are never upgraded in any huge numbers.
Yeah, but they're all Dralthis. You know, the exterior is also subject to upgrades. Anyway, ne'er mind, since LOAF just helpfully pointed out that the Hellcat and others were all upgraded to front-line status
smile.gif
And yes, I was talking about the movie Rapier, of course
smile.gif
. I don't know what was upgraded and what wasn't, but it stayed on the front lines for a hundred years, non?
wink.gif

Death's Head: No, I meant the Kilrathi would be using the fighter loadout. There's nothing stopping us from using the bomber loadout - indeed, it would be foolish not to.

Indeed, dust cannons and tachyons together might make trouble
smile.gif
. But then, I always use my dust cannons by themselves, so they get all the energy.

Quarto said:
Yeah, but they're all Dralthis. You know, the exterior is also subject to upgrades. Anyway, ne'er mind, since LOAF just helpfully pointed out that the Hellcat and others were all upgraded to front-line status
smile.gif
Uh, they have the same name, but they have definatly changed. If all of those Dralthis are the same fighters, only upgraded, then the Tigershark is indeed an upgraded Hellcat. And like I said, some obviously can be upgraded, but definetly not the most. The Ferrets, Rapiers, Hornets, Scimitars, and most other fighters we read about in FC, and TPOF were obsolete.

And yes, I was talking about the movie Rapier, of course
smile.gif
. I don't know what was upgraded and what wasn't, but it stayed on the front lines for a hundred years, non?
wink.gif
Yeah, and for about 80-90 of those yearsn it didn't face anything more chalenging than small bands of pirates. Fighters wouldn't get better if there was no need for them to get better. AFAWK, shields, armor, and most other systems could have stayed the same.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 28, 2000).]

Earthworm, never mind
smile.gif
. You agree that some fighters can be upgraded - and that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that Confed's gonna be recycling their fighter designs for the next hundred years, or anything.
smile.gif

"The Ferrets, Rapiers, Hornets, Scimitars, and most other fighters we read about in FC, and TPOF were obsolete."
The fighters you refer to were vintage 2654 ships most likely. Ferrets were not much younger.

Death's Head said:
"The Ferrets, Rapiers, Hornets, Scimitars, and most other fighters we read about in FC, and TPOF were obsolete."

The fighters you refer to were vintage 2654 ships most likely. Ferrets were not much younger.
I doubt that someone would send a fighter with 3 cm of armor and shields against ships with more than 80 cm armor and over 150 cm shields. Not even the Border Worlds, or the Landreich. The second has some crazy and suicidal techniqes, but not THAT crazy.

Oh, and the Ferret has been around in 2639.
smile.gif

The Confed Handbook.

And now I can see Q saying that the movie and any acompanying merchandise is in no way related to the WCU, blah blah blah........
smile.gif

To quote the writer of the Confed Handbook, "blame it all on the Pilgrims"
smile.gif

No, I will not say that the Confed Handbook is wrong. I'll say that it's only partially right. Tell me, Earthworm, when did the Kilrathi War start? Hmm?

I don't care what the CH says about the start of the war since it's obviously wrong.
smile.gif
But in the case of the Ferret no other source says when it went into production.

Didn't the CH have other mistakes? Or did commander Andropolos have a sex-change?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Wait... but they had to move the war forward to acommodate all the Pigrim stuff... the author said so himself...

And if CH is wrong in one place, what makes you think it's not wrong anywhere else?
smile.gif

Even if it isn't wrong, the fact remains that the ship in question is almost certainly not as old as that without seeing hefty upgrades.

NR, payment received, package will be on the way within the week.
smile.gif

You cannot prove a negative through the existance of a seprate negative...

And no, Andropolos is male in both the CH and in Victory Streak. It's the non-canon 'Secrets of the WC Universe' that calls him a woman.

Back