Your Favorite "Kilrathi War" Wing Commander game?

I must go with WC2. The story of intrigue, redemption and revenge is just too interesting for me. It's hard to describe the impact WC2 had with its storytelling techniques, even if the engine looked about the same as WC1. I have the impression they could develop the characters better with the more prosaic scenes of poker games, which return just as nods on the subsequent games.

Favorite

My personal favorite has to be Wing Commander 2 and its add-ons. It was the first WC game I ever purchased and played and I loved it. And still love it after all these years. The storyline is excellent, the characters are fun and involved in the game, and the graphics and animations are still decent after all these years. Very colorful and vibrant. Plus, you get to fly the Broadsword, one of my favorite craft.

Only drawback, did not like Adm Tolywn's uniform. Maybe OK for ceremonial dress but it seemed awfully impractical considering how everyone else on duty wore jumpsuit type uniforms.

WC2 then WC1 then WC3.

Delance said:
I=even if the engine looked about the same as WC1.

Meh, in my opinion WC2 is the prettiest of the trilogy. I just love the way things look in that game. Especially when things explode.

I like WC2 SO1 simply because Blair gets made up to Colonel after being cheated in the story for so long. WC2 was also my first encounter with the game! WC3 really impressed me though- I loved the whole Victory thing and the new style uniforms and rank. I wish there was a game inbetween 2-3 so you could understand the details of how the Concordia goes down on Vespus.

Maybe in WC SAGA?

Roberts said:
I like WC2 SO1 simply because Blair gets made up to Colonel after being cheated in the story for so long. WC2 was also my first encounter with the game! WC3 really impressed me though- I loved the whole Victory thing and the new style uniforms and rank. I wish there was a game inbetween 2-3 so you could understand the details of how the Concordia goes down on Vespus.

Maybe in WC SAGA?
WC Saga is gonna take awhile. ;)

Falcon988 said:
Meh, in my opinion WC2 is the prettiest of the trilogy. I just love the way things look in that game. Especially when things explode.

I agree with that. I also loved all the WC2 ships, everything from ferret to broadsword to morningstar to crossbow, the music, and the missions. Making torpedo runs through flak while dodging AMG fire was great (and I really liked the music it switched to for locking on), and watching the Concordia dish it out to enemy capships with the PTC and huge bursts of AMG fire was awesome. The story artwork was good too.

Besides, it has a fighter that carries a nuke. I mean, come on!

Well for me, WC1 was my first Wing Commander experience and probably a good bit of my opinion is pure nostalgia but I'd have to vote for WC1. After all, it was what kicked the whole thing off.

I can't pick one. It is like asking a father which one is his favorite child.
Nevertheless, my emotional attachment with WC1 and 3 is greater than with 2.

WC1 was the first Computer Game I played for real. And 3 was some kind of gaming rapture that started wehn I opened that box... long before I actually got to play it.

Lt.Death100 said:
Well WC3 has a ship that carries a planet-killer! :p

It's just not the same though. You can't fire the T-Bomb into a group of corvettes and watch them explode. Oh the hours of endless Morningstar entertainment...

Morningstar Nuke > T-Bomb.

Actually, the T-Bomb will lock on to a fighter if it's given enough time. It can take out an entire squadron much like a Mace.

Falcon988 said:
It's just not the same though. You can't fire the T-Bomb into a group of corvettes and watch them explode. Oh the hours of endless Morningstar entertainment...

Morningstar Nuke > T-Bomb.
Yeah but the T-Bomb annihilated a huge armada of ships, that counts more than a couple of corvettes! :p

I always loved WC1 for the idea of being able to get medals and go up in rank. Before WC2 begins, Blair got to be a Lt. Col. in under a year.

However, storyline wise, WC2 was my favorite. Special Operations 2 was great as well, but wierd. Manaic seemed to get several character changes. He starts out as just a depressed loner goof in WC1; in WC2SO2 he is a punk rocker with skull earrings; and WC3, 4, and 5 he's Biff Tannen. Go figure.

Maniac was always the hotdog. That aspect of his personality never changed. He became a depressed loner on the Tiger's Claw because of stress during the Goddard Campaign (I believe that's the campaign it was). He basically broke down from combat exhaustion and had to be pulled off of the line. He was always one of the more popular members of the squadron though, despite how much everyone "said" they didn't like him. Plus the fact of the matter is that Blair and Maniac were good friends throughout much of WC1 and continued to be up through SO2. It was only after Maniac was passed over for promotion on the Victory that their rivalry became an outright hatred, which abated by the time they flew the Kilrah run together.

If it's not obvious, Maniac happens to be my favorite character in the series.

Falcon988 said:
Maniac was always the hotdog. That aspect of his personality never changed. He became a depressed loner on the Tiger's Claw because of stress during the Goddard Campaign (I believe that's the campaign it was). He basically broke down from combat exhaustion and had to be pulled off of the line. He was always one of the more popular members of the squadron though, despite how much everyone "said" they didn't like him. Plus the fact of the matter is that Blair and Maniac were good friends throughout much of WC1 and continued to be up through SO2. It was only after Maniac was passed over for promotion on the Victory that their rivalry became an outright hatred, which abated by the time they flew the Kilrah run together.

If it's not obvious, Maniac happens to be my favorite character in the series.

I don't think it was pure hate. More jealously than anything else. I think Manaic like Blair more than Blair liked Manaic by what I saw in WC4 and WCP.

Man, I'd love to play Super WC, if only I either had me a Mac, or else if it could be ported or altered in some way to play on a PC.

(CAN it, by the way?...)

...'course, then I'd hafta go out and hunt me down a copy of the GAME, which I stupidly returned to the store some years back because I couldn't figger a way to get it to work on the PC...

Back