You really CAN find Everything on eBay...

SOme of the carriers from the beginning of the war survived, well namely the enterprise. IIRC the kamikaze attacks only claimed one major carrier the hornet. It was a time of desperation for the empire, it was just as yamamoto predicted, the sleeping giant had awoken.

Funny how the british had steel flight decks on thier carriers, but still had wooden decks on the battleships, HMS hood was destroyed in one shot from bismark. The japanese had the most powerful battleship in the world yamato, and it never did participate in a series action, and was destroyed by american airpower. It was the true death knell for the battleship.

But both the Yamato and Mushashi (sp?) took a good deal of damage before going down (both had more than 10 bomb and torpedo hits) although the 3rd ship of the class that was turned into a giant aircraft carrier was sunk w/ 1 torpedo by a sub on her shakedown cruise (Shinano)

My state (Alaska) sold one of their old Marine Highway ferries on ebay a few months ago. I suppose that's not quite like a former US Navy aircraft carrier, though. : )

The American wood decked carriers of course carried twice as many aircraft as their British counterparts (as well as superior aircraft, fairy swordfish piece of garbage...).

Stealth_C^ said:
The American wood decked carriers of course carried twice as many aircraft as their British counterparts (as well as superior aircraft, fairy swordfish piece of garbage...).

Yeah, just ask the folks who were in/around Taranto, Italy in 1940, or those serving aboard the Bismarck...

:p

One of the Yamato class battleships was sunk in the Bikini Atoll during a nuclear weapons test. I think it was the Musashi.

Joker057 said:
One of the Yamato class battleships was sunk in the Bikini Atoll during a nuclear weapons test. I think it was the Musashi.

No, it was the Nagato. The Musashi was sunk in '44 in the battle of Sibuyan Sea.

I thought the first Hornet (CV-8) was bombed and torpedoed off Guadalcanal, before finally being sunk by the Japanese.

As for Carrier Decks, the British carriers were slower, carried fewer aircraft, and were hotter in the Pacific. The trade off was that when one got hit by a Kamikaze on the deck, the amount of damage inflicted was much less, compared to the wooden deck of an Essex-class. Examples: USS Franklin, USS Bunker Hill.

As for British carrier aircraft, they ended up using Hellcats, Avengers, and the like, right?

If Secret Weapons Over Normandy is any indication, a Swordfish will, on average, sink 30 U-Boats per mission.

Bandit LOAF said:
If Secret Weapons Over Normandy is any indication, a Swordfish will, on average, sink 30 U-Boats per mission.

Most realistic flight simulation ever. :D

Bandit LOAF said:

If a company were to make a truely realistic WWII flying game, I'm sure the frustration rate would be almost 100% with all the purchases made :)

LeHah said:
If a company were to make a truely realistic WWII flying game, I'm sure the frustration rate would be almost 100% with all the purchases made :)
Hmm, the fairly realistic Il-2 Sturmovik comes to mind. It looked good, and I even managed to take off... eventually.

The german battleship "Bismark" took the most damage in WW2 before sinking. More than 7 Torpedo hits...and the Bismark haven´t sunk. Heavy bombardement from allied air forces...and the Bismark haven´t sunk. After hardcore bombardement and getting abushed form nearly all sides, the Bismark sunk after hours of taking hits.

(sorry for my bad englisih, ok? ;) )

I saw something on History channel recently about a famous German battleship, but can't remember the name.

The ship took a severe beating, barely made it to port, and someone leaked false information to the captain saying there was an opposing battle group waiting just outside of port to finish it off...as a result, the captain sailed out with a skeleton crew and scuttled his ship. I'm not sure, but was it the Bismark? it was one of Nazi Germany's super-battleships, I believe.

Valkyrie said:
The german battleship "Bismark" took the most damage in WW2 before sinking. More than 7 Torpedo hits...and the Bismark haven´t sunk. Heavy bombardement from allied air forces...and the Bismark haven´t sunk. After hardcore bombardement and getting abushed form nearly all sides, the Bismark sunk after hours of taking hits.

Actually, the Yamato-class battleship Nagato probably holds the record for most damage to sink a battleship, having survived the "Able" atomic bomb test (at Bikini Atoll) with only slight damage, then sunk by the "Baker" test, 3 weeks later. Both bombs were 23KT devices (compared to the 13KT of the Hiroshima device, "Little Boy", and 20KT of the Nagasaki device, "Fat Man"), Able being detonated at an altitude of 520 feet above the target ships, and Baker detonated at a depth of 90 feet beneath the target ships.

Colonel Sanders said:
I saw something on History channel recently about a famous German battleship, but can't remember the name.

The ship took a severe beating, barely made it to port, and someone leaked false information to the captain saying there was an opposing battle group waiting just outside of port to finish it off...as a result, the captain sailed out with a skeleton crew and scuttled his ship. I'm not sure, but was it the Bismark? it was one of Nazi Germany's super-battleships, I believe.

Well, there was only really 2 "super-battleship" ships in the Kriegsmarine, the Bismarck and its sister ship, the Tirpitz, so there's not too much effort to figure out the ship in question. ;)

I think Colonel Sanders is referring to the pocket battleship Graf Spee, which took some damage from HMS Exeter, Ajax, and Achilles off of South America.

Graf Spee took to neutral port in Montevideo, where the British faked having a large task force instead of the 4 ships they really had, so the Graf Spee's Captain scuttled his ship instead of having it interned. Then he committed suicide.

Careful note on the Hood...that was a Battlecruiser...Battleship everything except armor and speed, both of which tend to match that of a cruiser. The speed helps, but ifyou're hit, you risk being knocked out of the battle early on.

Back