You really CAN find Everything on eBay...

I was a fan of the original Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe. It wasn't too realistic too, but now they turned the sequel into an arcade shooter for six year olds. :(

LeHah said:
If a company were to make a truely realistic WWII flying game, I'm sure the frustration rate would be almost 100% with all the purchases made :)

Hey LeHah, you've played Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator? That learning curve was steep.

Lynx said:
I was a fan of the original Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe. It wasn't too realistic too, but now they turned the sequel into an arcade shooter for six year olds. :(

The worst part isn't that it is an arcade shooter for six year olds... it's that they're marketing an arcade shooter for six year olds as an accurate historical simulation. It blows my mind to see Larry Holland claim that the game is an accurate historical simulation in interviews... and then to see thirteen year old gamer-dudez believe it at message boards and what-not.

That mans given us so many greats; Battle Of Britian, SWOTL, Xwing, Tie Fighter, XWA. I could forgive Xwing Vs Tie Fighter but SWAN is truely a devastatingly dissapointing game :(

Colonel Sanders said:
The ship took a severe beating, barely made it to port, and someone leaked false information to the captain saying there was an opposing battle group waiting just outside of port to finish it off...as a result, the captain sailed out with a skeleton crew and scuttled his ship. I'm not sure, but was it the Bismark? it was one of Nazi Germany's super-battleships, I believe.

You´re talking about the german heavy cruiser (but not "battleship"-class") "Admiral Graf Spee". :) The captain ordered self destruction near the port of Montevideo after getting critical damage from several allied attacks in the atlantic battles.

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/panzerschiffe/admiralgrafspee/

@dead: You´re wrong. There were 4 german Battleships, not only 2.

--> The "Bismarck", the "Tirpitz", the "Scharnhorst", the "Gneisenau"

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/battleships/index.html

One must consider those german vessels to be pocket battleships, not even full BBs but battlecruisers with more armor.

Bandit LOAF said:
The worst part isn't that it is an arcade shooter for six year olds... it's that they're marketing an arcade shooter for six year olds as an accurate historical simulation. It blows my mind to see Larry Holland claim that the game is an accurate historical simulation in interviews... and then to see thirteen year old gamer-dudez believe it at message boards and what-not.

Oh come on. SWON is suppose to be "stupid fun" because it's a console game and can't have the depth of a PC flying game. Sure, Holland's suggestion that it's historically accurate is over the top but it's not too far off from Medal Of Honor's (One OSS agent works undercover for *all* branches of the military at some point, destroys multiple U-Boats, fights in Normandy, destroys a V2 facility, a german jet fighter facility, an airstrip, manages to slip into Monte Cassino to rescue POWs and then stops the burning of Paris. Yeesh.) reasoning.

Regarding HMS Hood, did you know that many people belive she is thr reason why Bismark was sunk. Immediately after the explosion, the stern has been vaporized but the bow is still intact. The forward 15 inch gun crew gets a shot of before the bow sinks and it miracously hits the Bismark's stern. She starts taking on water and it slows the Bismarck down for about 5 hours, enough time for the HMS Ark Royal to catch her.

Oh come on. SWON is suppose to be "stupid fun" because it's a console game and can't have the depth of a PC flying game.

SWON was developed as a PC game - as is now common in the industry, the PC version was released day-and-date with the ports. (If PC gaming weren't horrifyingly painful these days, the PC version would be the one to get - since it comes with neat flashcards.)

SWON *is* stupid fun - but I have a hard time finding the 'supposed to be' part. We've got the creator lauding its historical accuracy, the game itself including 'historical documentaries'... and LucasArts selling it as "from the creators of SWON, X-Wing and TIE Fighter"... all three of which were complex, difficult games.

Bandit LOAF said:
... and LucasArts selling it as "from the creators of SWON, X-Wing and TIE Fighter".

You mean from the creators of SWOTL ;)

Back