You know you've been playing to much privateer when...

LG44

Spaceman
- You mount guns and missiles on your car and put monitors and keyboards in it

- You crash into an oil tanker expecting to gently bounce off

Give us some more...

Saturday evening you thought about PR again.
You get VS and PR, without even bothering to know if you really need both or one does it.
It's about midnight, you could just afford the jump-drive. You mentally prepare for the long and hard journey towards Junction (well, it's been long and very hard originally, much easier now). You yearn to see New Constantinople again.

20 min later. You enter the system, select your nav-target and hit "a" to take you to New Const.
After years of flashbacks, dreams the only fragments you remember of are Talons desintegrating beyond the cockpit view of a centurion, comparing ships to your old galaxy, still contemplating that, if you could have filled the cargo hold with shield gens and generators, that would have been the single most badass ship in whole gemini, finally, after 10 years, you see Constantiople again.
You can visit New Detroit, Perry, Oxford - oh yes, I want to go back to Oxford again...

It's 5 in the morning Sunday and you go to bed. But you already are one third up to your centurion.
After a few hours sleep, you get back up and, despite the work you still have to do get back into your pilots seat.

Yeah, I'm going to play way to much Privateer. Waaaaay to much.
-theBlind

klauss said:
You know, the idea had ocurred to me... the monitors and keyboard things...
Obviously, no one here has seen cars with modern GPS navigations systems and DVD/Nintendo entertainment systems. Damn near the same thing. ;-)

Dyret said:
This thread's been started countless times already...
Actually, only once, and it kept getting bumped, like it should.

On my back route home from work, there is an ULTIMATE Trading Company sign...

When you see a pirate and a retro firing at each other...
the retro dies....
the pirate exclaims "A clean kill, shoulda been a bounty hun#@%(&@#(%&"
and then explodes in a ball of fire.... connection lost

what irony!

You can tell you've been playing privateer too much by the following things:

You start to age by 20 years in about 20 seconds.

You start wearing slippers

Your slippers are replaced with sandals, you get horrible teeth a big long tramp beard and insomnia.

Your eyes go square - which makes focusing on anything other than a computer screen very difficult.

You get a very big hunch - much like the hunchback of notre dame

Playing privateer gets progressivley more painful the longer you play.

You appear to be telepathically connected to your computer.

Your girlfriend leaves you - or if you don't have a girl friend (or boyfriend if you prefer) you become sexually repulsive to everyone.

You become physically joined to your seat and any peripherals you are touching.

Your house falls into disrepair.

You know how to edit csv files (oh dear!)

Humanity has since been conquered by the Kilrathi, Romulens, Klingons, Teddy Bears, Wookies or Daleks.

Humanity has since evloved into a life from made out of energy - much like the Q.

If you have understood all the sci-fi references so far you have obviously been watching a lot of T.V at the same time.

I think that just about covers it.

If you have understood all the sci-fi references so far you have obviously been watching a lot of T.V at the same time.
Damn! And I seldom watch it... perhaps you should say:
"Watching a lot of Sci-Fi".

You switch to a 64bit kernel just to see if it makes your shiney new AMD64 run faster - because higher frame rates are nice, even if they're far beyond what your monitor can ever hope to show you. And then you realize that a 32bit GUI won't run a 64bit video card driver - and that's bad. So you begin staying up 20 hours at a time, working on it to build an entire 64bit system, just so you can compile a 64bit vega strike and slap the privateer mod on top of it so you get your game back.

And every time you close your eyes you STILL see the shiney new Constantinopal framed in a bracket and the thud of weapons hitting your armour as you make a mad dash for cover.

And/Or:

You browse all the PR forums wishing you could play.

Happy Camper said:
You can tell you've been playing privateer too much by the following things:

You start to age by 20 years in about 20 seconds.

You start wearing slippers

Your slippers are replaced with sandals, you get horrible teeth a big long tramp beard and insomnia.

Your eyes go square - which makes focusing on anything other than a computer screen very difficult.

You get a very big hunch - much like the hunchback of notre dame

Playing privateer gets progressivley more painful the longer you play.

You appear to be telepathically connected to your computer.

Your girlfriend leaves you - or if you don't have a girl friend (or boyfriend if you prefer) you become sexually repulsive to everyone.

You become physically joined to your seat and any peripherals you are touching.

Your house falls into disrepair.

You know how to edit csv files (oh dear!)

Humanity has since been conquered by the Kilrathi, Romulens, Klingons, Teddy Bears, Wookies or Daleks.

Humanity has since evloved into a life from made out of energy - much like the Q.

I think that just about covers it.

that's all true... by the way, i don't even go to the bathroom without my thrustmaster.

P.S: Wookies never conquer anybody.... perhaps sometimes blonde wooky ladies ;)

Master Wooky said:
P.S: Wookies never conquer anybody.... perhaps sometimes blonde wooky ladies ;)
I think I'll stick to being attracted to human females ;)
If the wookies had a decent fleet though, they'd probably kick some major ass.

And to add to my list:

You know when you've been playing too much privateer when you've been beta testing PR rather than revising for imminent exams that decide your future.

Master Wooky said:
that's all true... by the way, i don't even go to the bathroom without my thrustmaster.
I can understand that.. I've had the same Thrustmaster stick since before the original Privateer was released. They might have made it too well, I've never needed to buy another product from them :D

Been playing Priv too much when the sun comes up, again.

MamiyaOtaru said:
I can understand that.. I've had the same Thrustmaster stick since before the original Privateer was released. They might have made it too well, I've never needed to buy another product from them :D

Same thing here. But my family (most precisely my brothers) are a little... rough. I had to fix it a zillion times. But it keeps coming back together.

Happy Camper said:
I think I'll stick to being attracted to human females ;)
If the wookies had a decent fleet though, they'd probably kick some major ass.

And to add to my list:

You know when you've been playing too much privateer when you've been beta testing PR rather than revising for imminent exams that decide your future.

Yea, sometimes things get a little hairy... the exam thing sounds familiar too...

Ever tried to click on accept when a friend won't stop talking?

Master Wooky said:
Ever tried to click on accept when a friend won't stop talking?
That would be such an awesome thing. Especially if it worked with arseholes. In the real world the closest thing to an accept button is a fist in the said person's face (not that I advocate that sort of thing).

I know I have genuinely been playing a game for too long when I have dreams about it. Playing a character in a dream can be pretty awesome, except when you don't have guns, force powers etc. That has happened to me on many occasions. PR, Freelance Deus Ex and Max Payne to name but a few.

TurboTim07 said:
When you keep trying to hit 3 to get better relations with the cops on your tail.
You get the cops on your tail? You need to think about sticking to the speed limit.

You know you've been playing too much privateer when you get bored of it and play something else instead.

Happy Camper said:
You get the cops on your tail? You need to think about sticking to the speed limit.

You know you've been playing too much privateer when you get bored of it and play something else instead.

You wouldn't do this... Why would one do this? ... I'm afraid!!!

Back