You Know What Would Be Cool?

To Bandit LOAF
No, just the opposite: Super Wing Commander replaced Secret Missions 2 with a different story.

What were the differences between SWC and WC: Freedom Flight?

Quarto already replied to this as well as I possibly can, but I should point out that the 'Proton Accelerator Gun' name doesn't come from The Secret Mission - it's from the later Voices of War timeline.

Then I'm confused. The Sivar/Goddard-weapon was said to be a type of graviton weapon. Well, in WC they can produce gravitons and anti-gravitons with little trouble, why was the Concordia's PTC plagued with all sorts of dangers... I mean it doesn't sound that advanced for that era...

Bandit is my callsign, LOAF is my online nickname. It's just something I started doing when I was a teenager posting far too often to Origin's Official Wing Commander Chat Zone.

So you used Bandit and LOAF on the forums to make sure everybody knew you were LOAF in the chatroom? Or vice-versa?

I don't think any of this is especially germaine to the Wing Commander novels. A quick search of the Forstchen-only novels shows 'God' used (over and over) to make Tolwyn sound like Hornblower. I don't think the novels address anything religious beyond that.

Well, LCDR Bondarevsky in WC:ER said "Mother of God" when the torpedo hit the front of the ship and part of the front came off and people were getting sucked out of the whole right in front of him.

That's exactly the point - there isn't anything established about Blair. His character is built entirely around retroactive continuity... making his mother a 'Pilgrim' in the movie is no differently than Wing Commander III giving him a name (though creates fewer continuity issues...).

Which one creates fewer continuity issues? (Not to sound retarded or anything)

Not really - the Tiger's Claw had 24 cm of armor in Wing Commander I... and the Concordia had 500 cm in Wing Commander II. There's clearly a shift in progress. As for shield generators... it doesn't seem hard - in Privateer it's just a matter of swapping an individual piece of modular technology.

Where are the shield generators on the ship even located? Was that ever mentioned in WC-1 through WC-3?

That's largely because Wing Commander IV involved *fighting* the kinds of ships you were protecting in Wing Commander III. The earlier game was balanced to let your wingmen and capital ships survive lengthy battles with dozens of enemy fighters... but Wing Commander IV, obviously, had to work differently.

Still strikes me as a continuity error...

The idea that the Victory was bought out of mothballs for WC3 is a common fan misconception - Eisen talks about serving on her for his (and her) entire career.

So it was continuously upgraded as it went. Then how come there were such limitation in fleet-carrier shortages. I remember they had so few they could name them all... Victory wasn't named...

There are some dangers in a fan group doing something like that, too. First of all, you alienate a potential audience for absolutely no benefit. There's a difference between not liking something and 'officially' pretending it didn't happen. What does such an odd blanket statement mean? You sure showed... the cast and crew of a movie who will never know or care what you think. It's pure spite - tilting at windmills without the romantic aspect. You anger only other fans who *do* like Nemesis and you have absolutely no effect on anyones ability to tell a story.

There was no audience to be alienated :rolleyes: -- pretty much everybody on the forum disliked it. For a number of reasons! The acting was bad the SFX was bad, some aspects of the plot made little sense, and there were a number of technical points that were in conflict.

We didn't decide to just cut Nemesis (which a lot of us called "Numbnuts") out of the picture out of spite or anything. We just felt that it would ruin our group with all this stuff, especially since we had previously had always been trying to make any of our stuff as realistic as possible, to the highest standards in terms of continuity and technical accuracy. So, we essentially agreed that we would refuse to acknowledge Nemesis's addition to our timeline. There were certain things which we kept into the equation, though, Janeway being promoted to Admiral -- we all felt it was well deserved after all the crap her, her crew and her ship was through in the show.

I think Star Trek V deserves a little more credit than anyone gives it.

Maybe so, but even Bill Shatner said that it was largely the product of pure-panic hoping somebody else would know what to do.

It was almost certainly doomed from the start, tasked with following up a Star Trek movie that was succesful for all the wrong reasons (I enjoy the heck out of Star Trek IV, but it was a box office hit because it bordered on parody - not because everyone in the world suddenly liked Star Trek). Star Trek V could be another half-comedy and doom the franchise forever... or it could go back to serious drama and lose millions of dollars. They tried to build a happy medium and I think it hurt V and haunted every movie afterwards.

I don't think I ever thought of Star Trek IV as bordering on parody. However I did sort of consider it a Star Trek / Comedy movie.

As a result we got a movie that was kind of bland. The jokes didn't work, the story wasn't as 'big' as they hoped. Beyond that, a lot of the criticisms people have of it are far overblown. It was definitely a Star Trek story - boiling it down to 'Kirk fights God' is all well and funny, but that's actually a pretty standard Star Trek commentary.

The story wasn't as big as they hoped because of a SAG strike. ILM wasn't available and they had to use a back up company to produce the visual-effects.

That also had a lot of technical errors in it -- for example there was a scene when they shot up the turbolift shaft and went past Deck 78 (which the ship only was supposed to have 21 - 24 decks depending on who's blueprint you're using)

Victoria Kent

There was no audience to be alienated :rolleyes: -- pretty much everybody on the forum disliked it. For a number of reasons! The acting was bad the SFX was bad, some aspects of the plot made little sense, and there were a number of technical points that were in conflict.

This isn't your little forum, but I did like Nemesis.

Maybe so, but even Bill Shatner said that it was largely the product of pure-panic hoping somebody else would know what to do.

Can you please cite your source for this?

"I been with the Victory most of my career, I was the science officer durin her maiden voyage"

He was *communications* officer on her maiden voyage.

Strange really, I havnt seen any sort of reference to a Yorktown class prior to WC3. But then again, after privateer and armada, i was straight onto WC3. Missed 1 and 2.

None of the games show carriers beyond their own 'home' ship - you only see the Lexington in Armada, the Tiger's Claw in WC1, the Concordia in WC2 and so forth. You don't even get ships of the same class.

The whole "Lets go find God in the middle of the Galaxy!" idea was so silly yet so epic in a "60s hippy deep thought" way, it would've fit nicely in the original series.

The actual story is a layer above this - it's a critical *response* to that type of story. The whole point of the movie is that hippie-deep-thinker Sybok's easy answers are wrong - Kirk needs his pain.

The execution was marred not only by Shatner's directing but improper handling of money as well (Rock monsters, etc)

I've heard this repeated online and I disagree with it on a basic level. Star Trek: The Motion Picture taught us that more money for special effects isn't the same thing as a satisfying conclusion.

What were the differences between SWC and WC: Freedom Flight?

Super Wing Commander was an updated version of Wing Commander I and Freedom Flight was a novel based on Secret Missions 2. They aren't related at all.

Then I'm confused. The Sivar/Goddard-weapon was said to be a type of graviton weapon. Well, in WC they can produce gravitons and anti-gravitons with little trouble, why was the Concordia's PTC plagued with all sorts of dangers... I mean it doesn't sound that advanced for that era...

You're making huge assumptions for no reason other than to invent a continuity error. Simply having the word 'graviton' in the weapon's name in no way, shape or form mating it to jump drives. This is like insisting it's impossible to have hydrogen and not have a hydrogen bomb. Nor is there any indication anywhere that the fictional 'anti-graviton' technology involved in jump technology has somehow been perfected completely beyond reproach.

So you used Bandit and LOAF on the forums to make sure everybody knew you were LOAF in the chatroom? Or vice-versa?

I think everybody knows who I am either way. I'm usually LOAF in #WingNut and when I'm visiting Wing Commander fans in person.

Well, LCDR Bondarevsky in WC:ER said "Mother of God" when the torpedo hit the front of the ship and part of the front came off and people were getting sucked out of the whole right in front of him.

He actually says "merciful God". Nevertheless, you're making all sorts of assumptions for no reason. Simply saying 'God' is a social affectation and not a necessary indicator of faith (and it's especially not an indicator of any particular faith). Heck, I'm even fairly sure that taking their Lord's name in vain is one of the things that the especially religious frown upon. Further, having a religious character (and Forstchen *doesn't* - you can count the number of times religion is discussed in Wing Commander outside of fictional groups like the McDanielites and the Church of Man on one hand) is not an indication of some sort of religious bias on the part of the author. Bear being religious (and, again, he isn't - this is actually specified in False Colors) indicates that everyone in the book is religious in the same way that it indicates that everyone in the book is Russian.

Which one creates fewer continuity issues? (Not to sound retarded or anything)

Making Blair's mother a Pilgrim causes fewer continuity issues than naming him Blair. Several other sources had already tried to name him - the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Game calls him 'Carl LaFong' and Super Wing Commander calls him 'Armstrong'.

Where are the shield generators on the ship even located? Was that ever mentioned in WC-1 through WC-3?

They seem to be entirely internal, with the exception of some of the Nephilim warships which had external shield emitters that you had to knock down.

Still strikes me as a continuity error...

At this point I'm fairly convinced that you don't understand what a continuity error is. A ship in 2673 having different specifications than one in 2669 is not a continuity error.

So it was continuously upgraded as it went. Then how come there were such limitation in fleet-carrier shortages. I remember they had so few they could name them all... Victory wasn't named...

This is an oddly common misconception - there is no point where all the fleet carriers are named. Nor would the Victory necessarily be on such a list if it did exist... she's a light carrier with a smaller air wing than a CVE.

We didn't decide to just cut Nemesis (which a lot of us called "Numbnuts") out of the picture out of spite or anything. We just felt that it would ruin our group with all this stuff, especially since we had previously had always been trying to make any of our stuff as realistic as possible, to the highest standards in terms of continuity and technical accuracy. So, we essentially agreed that we would refuse to acknowledge Nemesis's addition to our timeline. There were certain things which we kept into the equation, though, Janeway being promoted to Admiral -- we all felt it was well deserved after all the crap her, her crew and her ship was through in the show.

I don't think anything uniquely technical or 'unrealistic' (for Star Trek) happens in Nemesis... nor does the story affect Star Trek's world on any sort of socio-political level. The only 'changes' made by the movie are to the TNG characters... and even then the movie builds its own giant RESET - USE IN THE EVENT OF STAR TREK XI button that any fan writer could take advantage of. People need to be honest - does anyone *really* care that the Wing Commander movie told a particular story abotu Blair's arrival on the Tiger's Claw? Of course not - they just didn't like the movie itself.

I don't think I ever thought of Star Trek IV as bordering on parody. However I did sort of consider it a Star Trek / Comedy movie.

The entire premise of the movie is that if the Star Trek characters were in the 'real world' then they would be awkward and comical. 'What if they had our problems instead of futuristic space problems?' It's making fun of all the things that the Star Trek audience takes for granted. You can't watch Scotty trying to talk to a Macintosh and not see the parody...

That also had a lot of technical errors in it -- for example there was a scene when they shot up the turbolift shaft and went past Deck 78 (which the ship only was supposed to have 21 - 24 decks depending on who's blueprint you're using)

This doesn't really matter when you have a good story. "Fans" will go out of their way to find such 'errors' regardless of how perfect your product is - the people behind the camera learned not to care a long time ago.

Which story is "Canon"... Freedom Flight, or SWC?

What are you talking about? Again, Super Wing Commander is an updated port of Wing Commander I with new graphics. Freedom Flight is a novel about Hunter having an adventure during and after Secret Missions 2. They are completely unrelated things.

Yes. Freedom Flight follows Hunter during and after SM2. SWC recreates WC1 and SM1 just with new graphics, the story remains the same. SM 1.5 (as it's known around here) revolves around the Claw's mission to destroy the Sivar shipyards.

You're making huge assumptions for no reason other than to invent a continuity error. Simply having the word 'graviton' in the weapon's name in no way, shape or form mating it to jump drives. This is like insisting it's impossible to have hydrogen and not have a hydrogen bomb. Nor is there any indication anywhere that the fictional 'anti-graviton' technology involved in jump technology has somehow been perfected completely beyond reproach.

I wasn't intending to invent a continuity error... I was just suggesting that graviton technology probably exists in artificial gravity generators and a number of things... and I would figure anti-gravitons would be harder to generate than gravitions... and Anti-Gravitons are the staple of jump-drives...

Now granted the problem may be in the mechanism in which it uses the gravitons in a practical use in WC:SM1

I think everybody knows who I am either way. I'm usually LOAF in #WingNut and when I'm visiting Wing Commander fans in person.

You mean people don't call you Ben, or Mr. Lesnick? They just call you "LOAF"? Man, if I ever appear at a WC-fan gathering just call me Vicky or Victoria -- most people probably couldn't even pronounce miracynonyx (miracinonyx is technically the correct spelling but when I created my account I was in a hurry and screwed up) let alone know what it is.

He actually says "merciful God". Nevertheless, you're making all sorts of assumptions for no reason. Simply saying 'God' is a social affectation and not a necessary indicator of faith (and it's especially not an indicator of any particular faith). Heck, I'm even fairly sure that taking their Lord's name in vain is one of the things that the especially religious frown upon. Further, having a religious character (and Forstchen *doesn't* - you can count the number of times religion is discussed in Wing Commander outside of fictional groups like the McDanielites and the Church of Man on one hand) is not an indication of some sort of religious bias on the part of the author. Bear being religious (and, again, he isn't - this is actually specified in False Colors) indicates that everyone in the book is religious in the same way that it indicates that everyone in the book is Russian.

Merciful God sounds much more religious in sounding than saying "Jesus CHrist!" or "Oh God!" or "Oh my God!" or "Jeez!"

Although I understand from what you wrote that Bondarevski is not religious, it was more the particular phrase, not just a referrence to god.

Making Blair's mother a Pilgrim causes fewer continuity issues than naming him Blair. Several other sources had already tried to name him - the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Game calls him 'Carl LaFong' and Super Wing Commander calls him 'Armstrong'.

Carl LaFong doesn't sound quite as cool as Blair or Armstrong...

They seem to be entirely internal, with the exception of some of the Nephilim warships which had external shield emitters that you had to knock down.

Thank you

At this point I'm fairly convinced that you don't understand what a continuity error is. A ship in 2673 having different specifications than one in 2669 is not a continuity error.

That's not the issue... in WC3 the shields were different in WC4, one had phase shields, the other had seemingly normal shields. Armor and shield specs were different and apparently it was to make it harder to fight your own guys. That isn't due to a technical reason like they produced a more efficient shield generator which produces a higher power output.

This is an oddly common misconception - there is no point where all the fleet carriers are named. Nor would the Victory necessarily be on such a list if it did exist... she's a light carrier with a smaller air wing than a CVE.

What about End-Run, there was an issue about the number of fleet carriers needed to stop the Kilrathi in the battle. Even a Waterloo-Class vessel was listed and it had a 40 carrier capacity too... like the Victory.

I don't think anything uniquely technical or 'unrealistic' (for Star Trek) happens in Nemesis... nor does the story affect Star Trek's world on any sort of socio-political level. The only 'changes' made by the movie are to the TNG characters... and even then the movie builds its own giant RESET - USE IN THE EVENT OF STAR TREK XI button that any fan writer could take advantage of. People need to be honest - does anyone *really* care that the Wing Commander movie told a particular story abotu Blair's arrival on the Tiger's Claw? Of course not - they just didn't like the movie itself.

There were some technical stuff that we decided not to use, such as the type of radiation used by Shinzon's men to assassinate the Romulans that turned them into rocks... for example.

Additionally the fact that Data's Android (B-4) was detectable from such a distance meant that Data's very existance aboard Enterprise in all those years made the ship effectively fitted with a Lo-Jack!

Regarding the Wing Commander movie, I'm not entirely fond of the plot and the addition of Pilgrims (which have a some significant differences to their cerebral cortex) but most of my objection was that the Movie wasn't much like the game... I have loads and loads of things I can say about the movie-- so i'll just end it there..

The entire premise of the movie is that if the Star Trek characters were in the 'real world' then they would be awkward and comical. 'What if they had our problems instead of futuristic space problems?' It's making fun of all the things that the Star Trek audience takes for granted. You can't watch Scotty trying to talk to a Macintosh and not see the parody...

I saw it as being kind of a comedy, the crew being 300 years in the past and the difference in customs and the interaction between them having rather laughable results.

Victoria Kent

I wasn't intending to invent a continuity error... I was just suggesting that graviton technology probably exists in artificial gravity generators and a number of things... and I would figure anti-gravitons would be harder to generate than gravitions... and Anti-Gravitons are the staple of jump-drives...

Now granted the problem may be in the mechanism in which it uses the gravitons in a practical use in WC:SM1

This is the difference between floating your boat on water and using a water machine to drown everyone in the world simultaneously. Without some technical information as to how the Sivar's gun works (or even what it does) then this sort of complaint is entirely forced.

You mean people don't call you Ben, or Mr. Lesnick? They just call you "LOAF"? Man, if I ever appear at a WC-fan gathering just call me Vicky or Victoria -- most people probably couldn't even pronounce miracynonyx (miracinonyx is technically the correct spelling but when I created my account I was in a hurry and screwed up) let alone know what it is.

I suppose people are welcome to call me whatever they like, but LOAF seems popular. It seems like it'd be strange calling people like Frosty or ace anything other than their nicknames.

I think Miracinonyx was actually on the list of cat-themed callsigns Chris came up with for Arena bots... but it didn't make it into the finished game (a few others did - I think I've fought Smilodon).

Didn't you used to post as 'Concordia'? That's a little easier to remember (and pronounce).

Merciful God sounds much more religious in sounding than saying "Jesus CHrist!" or "Oh God!" or "Oh my God!" or "Jeez!"

Although I understand from what you wrote that Bondarevski is not religious, it was more the particular phrase, not just a referrence to god.

I think you're forgetting that Bear isn't a native English speaker - "merciful God" isn't such a strange expression with a Russian accent (imagine Chekov using it).

Carl LaFong doesn't sound quite as cool as Blair or Armstrong...

Carl was a reference to "It's a Gift", a W.C. Fields movie in which the main character was frustrated by people continually asking him if he knew where Carl LaFong was (he's never found). It was a joke about how 'Bluehair' had no actual character.

That's not the issue... in WC3 the shields were different in WC4, one had phase shields, the other had seemingly normal shields. Armor and shield specs were different and apparently it was to make it harder to fight your own guys. That isn't due to a technical reason like they produced a more efficient shield generator which produces a higher power output.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, shields worked exactly the same way in Wing Commander IV as they did in Wing Commander III. The fact that two different examples of the same class of ships have different armor values or gun loadouts simply means that there's two variants of that kind of ship.

What about End-Run, there was an issue about the number of fleet carriers needed to stop the Kilrathi in the battle. Even a Waterloo-Class vessel was listed and it had a 40 carrier capacity too... like the Victory.

We've talked about this in the past. Suffice it to say, there's a strong suggestion that the Gettysburg was some sort of carrier conversion. Blair alone personally encounters more than 40 fighters flown off the ship in Special Operations 1.

There were some technical stuff that we decided not to use, such as the type of radiation used by Shinzon's men to assassinate the Romulans that turned them into rocks... for example.

Additionally the fact that Data's Android (B-4) was detectable from such a distance meant that Data's very existance aboard Enterprise in all those years made the ship effectively fitted with a Lo-Jack!

These are both pretty petty... and insignificant. The first one is just another type of radiation that kills people - only it does it in a slightly more cinematic way. It doesn't really effect the Star Trek universe at all. The other one is another made up complaint... since the obvious response is "except it didn't", and you can cite two hundred TV episodes and three other movies as evidence. If either of these things were actually damaging to a potential story they could be easily written out in a single sentence.

Regarding the Wing Commander movie, I'm not entirely fond of the plot and the addition of Pilgrims (which have a some significant differences to their cerebral cortex) but most of my objection was that the Movie wasn't much like the game... I have loads and loads of things I can say about the movie-- so i'll just end it there..

This is another failure of logic. You have things to say... so you won't? We're all happy to talk about the movie - it's helped a lot of other people understand it in the past.

Bandit LOAF,

When I said I had loads of things to say about the movie, but decided to end it there was because I was tired. I just didn't feel like writing what could literally amount to paragraphs.

First of all, the ship's called the TIGER'S claw, not the TIGER Claw...

The ships didn't look like they did in the games, not even close. There were no Hornets, Raptors, and Scimitars in the movie even though they were abundant in the game. The Rapiers did not look at all like the Rapiers in the games, either WC-1, SWC, or WC-2, and the Broadsword didn't look anything like the colossol turret laden design we saw in WC-2. Additionally there were no Exeters, and the Fralthi was brand new in WC-1 (at least a few weeks after the movie took place)...

The Tiger's Claw's skipper was Captain Thorn, Jeanette Deveraux was not the WC, in fact in WC-SM2, she is quite happy to be promoted to the Austin's WC... no mention was had that she was the WC, then demoted, then re-promoted, there is no appearance at all of Col/Capt Peter Halcyon... Paladin may have had ties in the intelligence community, but he was not a Commodore, he was a Major/LCDR and was a Tigers Claw fighter pilot, and previously served off a cruiser...

The plot of a whole bunch of ships making it that close to Earth would have been bound to have been mentioned in previous storylines. The Claw-Marks thing never mentioned it. Considering by this point the WC-Timeline in 1999 went all the way to 2672, if not 2681 (not sure when Prophecy came out), WC-1 is in the relative past... they altered the timeline... not by making a small adjustments... but a BIG PLOT inserted in...

At least that's the big stuff. The small stuff is the actor that played Blair just wasn't that cool an actor... Granted I wouldn't have picked Mark Hamill for WC-3 (I would have ideally picked David James Elliott, looks closer to Blue-Hair and he looks good and is nice and tall and athletically built and he can do a pretty good southern military accent...), but I would have CERTAINLY not picked the guy that they picked in WC:Movie... With Jeanette Devereaux, they made the same mistake as they did in Star Trek TNG -- they put a British person in lieu of a French person (Well Deveraux is technically Belgian, but she speaks french a lot)... Paladin's played by a French guy... that and the Uniform's looked absolutely retarded! Jesus Christ they were the worst uniforms I ever saw, they had a cheezy ass tag instead of shoulder-boards... they would have been better off just using some old Pan-Am esque Airline Pilot uniform... even they look better than that! Jesus Christ!

Regarding the Gettysburg carrier conversion... how many fighters did it carry about?

Pertaining to my screenname... I'm stunned that somebody had actually used miracinonyx! I'm pretty sure that you know what it is-- but I'll write it down anyway. It's a creature that evolved from a Cougar in America. They had speeds at least equal to 61 mph... They looked similar to the Cheetah (Acinonyx Jubatus) which recent genetic studies have confirmed that they evloved from a Cougar like cat and are not as far back ancestorally as we would have thought, except they are larger and can fully retract their claws which the cheetah's cannot retract them fully, using them as cleets while running at high-speeds. These creatures are suspected as being the reason the Pronghorns have evolved to be able to run so fast considering other predators like Timberwolves couldn't go anywhere near as fast, let alone achieve it's 61-mph dash speed...

Nope, my screename's not Concordia

Victoria Kent

The real world explanation is almost as simple as a typo that got corrected in the wrong direction. In universe, star soldier explains it nicely. Essentially, the Ship is named both things.

The ships didn't look like they did in the games, not even close.
So what. The SWC Tiger's Claw looks nothing like the WC1 Claw either. Hell, even the claw doesn't have a consistent look between Cutscenes and the inflight sequences within WC1 either. Where continuity is concerned the actual look doesn't matter that much. Mark Hamil doesn't look much like Bluehair to me either.
There were no Hornets, Raptors, and Scimitars in the movie even though they were abundant in the game... Additionally there were no Exeters, and the Fralthi was brand new in WC-1 (at least a few weeks after the movie took place)...
So what. Just because we don't see it in the movie doesn't mean it's not there. Same with pilots and crew. We only see a dozen pilots at most in the movie and we know theres's almost eight times that many pilots on the ship.

The Rapiers did not look at all like the Rapiers in the games, either WC-1, SWC, or WC-2, and the Broadsword didn't look anything like the colossol turret laden design we saw in WC-2.
Except that we know the movie rapiers aren't the same Rapiers from the game. They don't even have the same manufacturer.

The Tiger's Claw's skipper was Captain Thorn, Jeanette Deveraux was not the WC, in fact in WC-SM2, she is quite happy to be promoted to the Austin's WC... no mention was had that she was the WC, then demoted, then re-promoted, there is no appearance at all of Col/Capt Peter Halcyon
Angel wasn't the Wing Commander in the traditional sense. Wing Commander tends to use the term loosely. Hobbes calls Blair his Wing Commander in WC2 for example when it's clearly just the two of them. Angel is essentially Blair's squadron commander in the movie, and She's a Lieutenant Commander.

The plot of a whole bunch of ships making it that close to Earth would have been bound to have been mentioned in previous storylines. The Claw-Marks thing never mentioned it. Considering by this point the WC-Timeline in 1999 went all the way to 2672, if not 2681 (not sure when Prophecy came out), WC-1 is in the relative past... they altered the timeline... not by making a small adjustments... but a BIG PLOT inserted in...
How is this a valid complaint? WC1 doesn't mention stuff from the other prequel stories either. WHAT A SHOCK!

At least that's the big stuff. The small stuff is the actor that played Blair just wasn't that cool an actor... Granted I wouldn't have picked Mark Hamill for WC-3 (I would have ideally picked David James Elliott, looks closer to Blue-Hair and he looks good and is nice and tall and athletically built and he can do a pretty good southern military accent...), but I would have CERTAINLY not picked the guy that they picked in WC:Movie...
I don't think FPJs casting was terrible, He's certainly adequate in the role. Most of his dialogue is pretty awful which is somewhat the fault of the script writer(s).

... and the Uniform's looked absolutely retarded! Jesus Christ they were the worst uniforms I ever saw, they had a cheezy ass tag instead of shoulder-boards... they would have been better off just using some old Pan-Am esque Airline Pilot uniform... even they look better than that! Jesus Christ!
As far as quality of costume, the actual look is real enough. But the Design is for the same reason the ships are of a particular style. They are very very WW2 navy uniform in style because Chris Roberts was making a WW2 movie in space. See

Nope, my screename's not Concordia
You seem to talk like him/her: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=8058

Jesus Christ they were the worst uniforms I ever saw, they had a cheezy ass tag instead of shoulder-boards... they would have been better off just using some old Pan-Am esque Airline Pilot uniform... even they look better than that! Jesus Christ!
You know, referring back to your complaints about Bear, the above paragraph makes you Christian by your own standards. So, that should hopefully explain to you once and for all that God-related exclamations don't necessarily mean anything :p.

(though I do wish you'd stop that - as a Christian, I do actually find it offensive that an atheist uses the name of my God as a swear-word. I can sorta understand people using "Jesus Christ" as a spontaneous exclamation in real life... but here, there's no spontaneity involved, so you got no excuse)

Star*Soldier's letters page has a nice explanation for this problem, along with a nice tongue-in-cheek send-up of fans who insist it's a problem in the first place. There's an angry letter from a reader demanding to know why some previous article said 'Tiger Claw' instead of Tiger's Claw.

The ships didn't look like they did in the games, not even close. There were no Hornets, Raptors, and Scimitars in the movie even though they were abundant in the game. The Rapiers did not look at all like the Rapiers in the games, either WC-1, SWC, or WC-2, and the Broadsword didn't look anything like the colossol turret laden design we saw in WC-2. Additionally there were no Exeters, and the Fralthi was brand new in WC-1 (at least a few weeks after the movie took place)...

You already know that the Rapier is a completely different fighter, so I'm not sure why you've brought it up again (in the same thread). It's the CF-117 Rapier, with its own (lengthy) backstory... completely unrelated to the F-44 Rapier II which is first tested in Wing Commander I.

The novel does mention that the other fighters from Wing Commander I are on the Tiger's Claw. Nevertheless, I don't recall ever seeing multiple types of fighters on the flight deck at the same time in the game either - so it's an odd complaint (if I can't see it *right now* then it doesn't exist!).

The Fralthi has always been a particular problem. By the time it's 'discovered' it has already appeared in the April, 2654 Joan's update, an episode of Wing Commander Academy, Hobbes' backtory about serving in the Vega Sector from Freedom Flight and the dialogue in the Super Wing Commander intro.

The Tiger's Claw's skipper was Captain Thorn, Jeanette Deveraux was not the WC, in fact in WC-SM2, she is quite happy to be promoted to the Austin's WC... no mention was had that she was the WC, then demoted, then re-promoted, there is no appearance at all of Col/Capt Peter Halcyon... Paladin may have had ties in the intelligence community, but he was not a Commodore, he was a Major/LCDR and was a Tigers Claw fighter pilot, and previously served off a cruiser...

We first see Thorn as captain of the Tiger's Claw over a year after the movie... and before meeting him we see both Commodore Tolwyn (Wing Commander Academy) and Colonel Halcyon (The Secret Missions) commanding the ship. Heck, since Captain Sansky *dies* in the course of the movie it's unlikely that he would still be in command at Firekka to cause any sort of continuity error.

As the novel makes completely clear, Angel is the squadron commander of the Black Lions, not the carrier's Wing Commander. Halcyon is mentioned in the book.

We don't know much about Paladin's early days, but we do know he was an earlier protege of Tolwyn and that he was involved with covert operations before Wing Commander I. In that light it makes sense that he'd be Tolwyn's agent and that his background would be pretty murky (he mentions his history as a combat pilot, including flying off the Tiger's Claw, in the movie novel).

This is a crummy (recent) Star Trek internet fandom thing that's awful, awful, awful, awful. A shared universe is not a single story to advance over time or a race to the largest-numbered fake year. It is a vast setting in which you can tell or expand any story that's interesting... not a race to see who can make up the largest number for their fake year. A story being set in 39,948,218 isn't in any way inherently more interesting than one set in 1965. (Note that Privateer 2, released in 1996, was set in 2789... this doesn't make any Wing Commander stories told after that date less relevant.) I really can't over-stress how terrible this type of thinking is - it's actually part of what has killed Star Trek. Every internet repeat-o-bot who repeat-o-rants about how Enterprise or the new movie is bad because they aren't 'advancing the timeline' is completely missing the point of storytelling in the first place.

To make sure, you do understand that the movie was made nine years after the original game? A story witten in 1989 can't reference one written in 1998. That's what retroactive continuity does - it 'alters' the timeline in that it adds to it, fleshes it out, etc. It isn't any sort of continuity error and is instead how continuity comes to be. Imagine the farce that would come from the sort of thinking you're suggesting here.

"Say, what happened before 2654 in the Wing Commander universe?"
"Well, I'll tell you - there were exactly four events and nothing else, ever."
"Huh, that's odd... any details?"
"No, and there never can be!"

(There are also some obvious practical flaws with your specific complaint. For one thing, Claw Marks didn't have a comprehensive timeline - it had little even numbered 'X Years Ago' boxes which filled empty space in Taggart's Tactics. You can tell that it's in no way complete just by looking at the separate 'Pride of the Fleet' timeline (specific to the Tiger's Claw) in the back of the manual... which mentions at least one Kilrathi invasion (2644) which didn't fit into the 5/10/15/20 years ago scheme.

... and, of course, the issue of Claw Marks included with Wing Commander I had already been printed before the movie occured. Blair is reading it at the start of the novelization. It would be a pretty big contradiction if it *did* mention what was going to happen in the next week.)

At least that's the big stuff. The small stuff is the actor that played Blair just wasn't that cool an actor... Granted I wouldn't have picked Mark Hamill for WC-3 (I would have ideally picked David James Elliott, looks closer to Blue-Hair and he looks good and is nice and tall and athletically built and he can do a pretty good southern military accent...), but I would have CERTAINLY not picked the guy that they picked in WC:Movie... With Jeanette Devereaux, they made the same mistake as they did in Star Trek TNG -- they put a British person in lieu of a French person (Well Deveraux is technically Belgian, but she speaks french a lot)... Paladin's played by a French guy...

I enjoy the casting of the Wing Commander movie far more than the movie itself. It was very cleverly done in exactly the way no one is interesting in casting films anymore... American 'pop' actors as the inexperienced rookies and veteran European character actors as the battle-hardened veterans. It's a neat microcosm of the movie's story right there in the credits.

I think you made my point for me, though - in spite (?) of the fact that he's English, it's laughable to classify casting Patrick Stewart as a *mistake*. He was a fantastic actor who brought a heck of a lot of mainstream credibility to ST:TNG... I think the same goes for Tcheky Karyo, who's just an incredible dramatic actor.

that and the Uniform's looked absolutely retarded! Jesus Christ they were the worst uniforms I ever saw, they had a cheezy ass tag instead of shoulder-boards... they would have been better off just using some old Pan-Am esque Airline Pilot uniform... even they look better than that! Jesus Christ!

I don't think any uniform in Wing Commander has ever lived up to the USAAF-style used in the original game. I don't like several of the movie outfits, but they're definately a lot more stylitic than hot-gluing patches to trash collectors' jumpsuits (WC3).

Well, I don't think it's even as simple as that - my opinions on the costuming runs the gamut. The double-button officer uniforms were *fantastic*. Having Tolwyn and Sansky and company look (and act) like they stepped off the deck of a World War I battleship was a very cool choice.

I'm fairly ambivalent towards the flightsuits. The helmets were weak (always a problem in films - you can either have a cool helmet or you can show a characters' facial expressions), but the actual suits were nice and detailed. I understand the point of the red, but it didn't click with me. The marine outfits were also very impressive... but again the signature red didn't do anything for me.

I'm entirely against the 'off duty' outfits. Both the submarine-style sweaters and the jacket-less uniforms/flight suits struck me as being very awkward (too intentionally fashionable). The patches were the worst, though... they're one of the few things the games all did very well. It's such a shame becaue the art design for the patches was incredible, but they went with the iron-on style intead of embroidering them. I understand the reference (to the beta-cloth patches worn by astronauts), but I didn't like them.

AD,
The real world explanation is almost as simple as a typo that got corrected in the wrong direction. In universe, star soldier explains it nicely. Essentially, the Ship is named both things.

Still kind of odd since every referrence in the game, from WC-1, WC-2, and in early WC-3 referred to it as Tiger's Claw. Plus ships are generally given one name and only one name unless the vessel is re-christened.

So what. The SWC Tiger's Claw looks nothing like the WC1 Claw either. Hell, even the claw doesn't have a consistent look between Cutscenes and the inflight sequences within WC1 either. Where continuity is concerned the actual look doesn't matter that much. Mark Hamil doesn't look much like Bluehair to me either.

Keep in mind though, WCM doesn't look like either design.

So what. Just because we don't see it in the movie doesn't mean it's not there. Same with pilots and crew. We only see a dozen pilots at most in the movie and we know theres's almost eight times that many pilots on the ship.

Obviously you've never seen the flight-deck of an aircraft carrier even in footage. Aircraft are all over the place, multiple types. Sure I could understand not wanting to cast 104 fighter pilots (in fact most fighter-wings modern day have 1.5 times the number of pilots per plane)

Except that we know the movie rapiers aren't the same Rapiers from the game. They don't even have the same manufacturer.

The Rapier was never referred to as the Rapier II in WC-1. And generally when a fighter is brand new it is referred to by it's exact designation... no nickname's been added to it yet. For example the A-4D was the Skyhawk... however it was also nicknamed the Scooter. The F-105 Thunderchief was designated as such, but quickly it was designated the "Thud"... etc.

Angel wasn't the Wing Commander in the traditional sense. Wing Commander tends to use the term loosely. Hobbes calls Blair his Wing Commander in WC2 for example when it's clearly just the two of them. Angel is essentially Blair's squadron commander in the movie, and She's a Lieutenant Commander.

Considering she had the authority to push the wreckage of the damaged craft off the deck suggest significant authority. Like ship's CO authority, or Airwing Commander.

How is this a valid complaint? WC1 doesn't mention stuff from the other prequel stories either. WHAT A SHOCK!

Uh, it does describe the McAuliffe engagement in 2634 which was later made into Action-Stations.

As far as quality of costume, the actual look is real enough. But the Design is for the same reason the ships are of a particular style. They are very very WW2 navy uniform in style because Chris Roberts was making a WW2 movie in space. See

WW-2 uniforms looked basically the same as now. 1939 to present basically. Just a small change to the hats (a metal rim in there) and a few pins (the Command at Sea badge worn on the right breast by ship commanders) different. Otherwise, they're the same uniforms.

The uniform may have been meant to look WW-2 like but it looked very cheesy to me.

I honestly do not use the screenname Concordia.

Bandit LOAF
Star*Soldier's letters page has a nice explanation for this problem, along with a nice tongue-in-cheek send-up of fans who insist it's a problem in the first place. There's an angry letter from a reader demanding to know why some previous article said 'Tiger Claw' instead of Tiger's Claw.

You know in all of WC-1, and the beginning of WC-2, they never seemed to have any problem naming the ship the Tiger's Claw, and calling it Tiger-Claw

You already know that the Rapier is a completely different fighter, so I'm not sure why you've brought it up again (in the same thread). It's the CF-117 Rapier, with its own (lengthy) backstory... completely unrelated to the F-44 Rapier II which is first tested in Wing Commander I.

In WC-2 it was called the Rapier II... in WC-1 it was just called the Rapier. It would appear as if they were using the Navy idea of having a more advanced version of a fighter called miscellaneousfighter-II. For example prior to 1962, the F-8 was called the F-8U... the first of the series was called the F-8U-1, then the F-8U-2... they were still basically had the same airframe, the -2's nose was a little bit longer and better streamlined for supersonic flight, but otherwise, they're all Crusaders. (The exception would be the F-8U-3 Super Crusader, which was completely different in virtually every way, the structure was larger and composed largely out of titanium, the engines were different, the air intake, nose, and windscreen were shaped differently, the wings were modified etc...)

Additionally, the CF-117 Rapier was never mentioned in Action Stations among the various fighters depicted of that earlier era.

The novel does mention that the other fighters from Wing Commander I are on the Tiger's Claw. Nevertheless, I don't recall ever seeing multiple types of fighters on the flight deck at the same time in the game either - so it's an odd complaint (if I can't see it *right now* then it doesn't exist!).

Have you ever seen footage of an aircaft-carrier's flight-deck? You see all sorts of planes all over the place, AWACS (E-2C), until recently the F-14, the F-18, etc... there are loads of different planes there which are quite visible.

Plus, the novel is not the same as the movie. The novel was written after the movie and would have probably added details after the fact that were not in the movie. Also, anything cut out of the movie, would have been probably mentioned even though it was cut from the movie.

The Fralthi has always been a particular problem. By the time it's 'discovered' it has already appeared in the April, 2654 Joan's update, an episode of Wing Commander Academy, Hobbes' backtory about serving in the Vega Sector from Freedom Flight and the dialogue in the Super Wing Commander intro.

I would have to see a transcript of the dialogue from the SWC intro... However, since it was was part of a briefing in WC-1 after the beginning, it kind of is part of the game's plot after the beginning

We first see Thorn as captain of the Tiger's Claw over a year after the movie... and before meeting him we see both Commodore Tolwyn (Wing Commander Academy) and Colonel Halcyon (The Secret Missions) commanding the ship. Heck, since Captain Sansky *dies* in the course of the movie it's unlikely that he would still be in command at Firekka to cause any sort of continuity error.

Colonel Halcyon was the Ship's CO *AND* the WC? I was always under the impression that he was just the WC, and there was some other guy commanding the ship.

As the novel makes completely clear, Angel is the squadron commander of the Black Lions, not the carrier's Wing Commander. Halcyon is mentioned in the book.

As I said, the book is not the same as the movie.

We don't know much about Paladin's early days, but we do know he was an earlier protege of Tolwyn and that he was involved with covert operations before Wing Commander I. In that light it makes sense that he'd be Tolwyn's agent and that his background would be pretty murky (he mentions his history as a combat pilot, including flying off the Tiger's Claw, in the movie novel).

Again... the book is not the same as the movie. Although obviously he is a combat pilot. Where he actually served other than a Cruiser and the Tiger's Claw is beyond me. Him being a Commodore doesn't mesh with the WC-1 game. He was just a Major/LCDR (Still a senior rank, but no commodore). Additionally if he *was* a Commodore, he would be equal to Tolwyn in the mid 2650 era.

This is a crummy (recent) Star Trek internet fandom thing that's awful, awful, awful, awful. A shared universe is not a single story to advance over time or a race to the largest-numbered fake year. It is a vast setting in which you can tell or expand any story that's interesting... not a race to see who can make up the largest number for their fake year. A story being set in 39,948,218 isn't in any way inherently more interesting than one set in 1965. (Note that Privateer 2, released in 1996, was set in 2789... this doesn't make any Wing Commander stories told after that date less relevant.) I really can't over-stress how terrible this type of thinking is - it's actually part of what has killed Star Trek. Every internet repeat-o-bot who repeat-o-rants about how Enterprise or the new movie is bad because they aren't 'advancing the timeline' is completely missing the point of storytelling in the first place.

Expanding a story is one thing... completely re-writing it is another. That's the issue I have with the WC Movie.

That would be a serious part of Terran history during the Kilrathi war -- the Kilrathi manage to destroy a base, and find a jumpline right to Earth (near Venus), forcing Confed to scramble at record speed destroying several vessels just from reactor malfunctions, and jump-mistakes, and just narrowly stopped them because a fighter jumped through and broadcased the jump-coordinates to the approaching battlefleet. That's not a little item a history...

To make sure, you do understand that the movie was made nine years after the original game? A story witten in 1989 can't reference one written in 1998. That's what retroactive continuity does - it 'alters' the timeline in that it adds to it, fleshes it out, etc. It isn't any sort of continuity error and is instead how continuity comes to be. Imagine the farce that would come from the sort of thinking you're suggesting here.

As I said... small additions of detail is one thing. Completely adding a MAJOR sneak-attack, ambush retroactively into the plot is another.

"Say, what happened before 2654 in the Wing Commander universe?"
"Well, I'll tell you - there were exactly four events and nothing else, ever."
"Huh, that's odd... any details?"
"No, and there never can be!"

Please read previous comments

(There are also some obvious practical flaws with your specific complaint. For one thing, Claw Marks didn't have a comprehensive timeline - it had little even numbered 'X Years Ago' boxes which filled empty space in Taggart's Tactics. You can tell that it's in no way complete just by looking at the separate 'Pride of the Fleet' timeline (specific to the Tiger's Claw) in the back of the manual... which mentions at least one Kilrathi invasion (2644) which didn't fit into the 5/10/15/20 years ago scheme.

Yeah, it mentions a Kilrathi invasion... the WCM description would be a MAJOR story event -- not a little trivial piece of data!

... and, of course, the issue of Claw Marks included with Wing Commander I had already been printed before the movie occured. Blair is reading it at the start of the novelization. It would be a pretty big contradiction if it *did* mention what was going to happen in the next week.)

Well you're sort of right. But even afterwords, nobody seemed to mention something this major! This came an inch short of a full blown invasion-- it was a MAJOR story detail!

Wing Commander Fleet Action which was a novel taking place in 2668, 14 years after WCM, and it didn't seem to mention anything about a serious ambush/sneak-attack battle like this. In fact FA seems to be one of the first time Kilrathi managed to make it all the way to Earth to my knowledge...

I enjoy the casting of the Wing Commander movie far more than the movie itself. It was very cleverly done in exactly the way no one is interesting in casting films anymore... American 'pop' actors as the inexperienced rookies and veteran European character actors as the battle-hardened veterans. It's a neat microcosm of the movie's story right there in the credits.

Well, in Wing Commander the characters were VERY diverse. You had a black-guy from Africa (Khumalo), a guy from China (Chen), a Japanese (Spirit/Mariko Tanaka or vice versa), and a Belgian woman (Deveraux), a Scottish guy (Taggart), one guy from a Colony *OUTSIDE* the solar-system (Marshall), and two Americans (Blair, Halcyon)

I think you made my point for me, though - in spite (?) of the fact that he's English, it's laughable to classify casting Patrick Stewart as a *mistake*. He was a fantastic actor who brought a heck of a lot of mainstream credibility to ST:TNG... I think the same goes for Tcheky Karyo, who's just an incredible dramatic actor.

Well technically I'm right and wrong. Technically Captain Picard was originally to be named Julian Picard (British) -- later on they re-named him Jean-Luc for more dramatic effect. However the actor still was and is British!

[quoteI don't think any uniform in Wing Commander has ever lived up to the USAAF-style used in the original game. I don't like several of the movie outfits, but they're definately a lot more stylitic than hot-gluing patches to trash collectors' jumpsuits (WC3).[/quote]

The WC-1 uniforms were the best of them all, you're right. However, the WCM uniforms looked even cheesier than the WC-3 and WC-4 games IMHO... this is of course subjective -- as we both have our own opinions as to what makes a good and a bad uniform.

Well, I don't think it's even as simple as that - my opinions on the costuming runs the gamut. The double-button officer uniforms were *fantastic*. Having Tolwyn and Sansky and company look (and act) like they stepped off the deck of a World War I battleship was a very cool choice.

The double-breasted uniforms did look navy-like, but the way the uniform was designed, partially the fabric made them look incredibly cheesy.

I'm fairly ambivalent towards the flightsuits. The helmets were weak (always a problem in films - you can either have a cool helmet or you can show a characters' facial expressions), but the actual suits were nice and detailed. I understand the point of the red, but it didn't click with me. The marine outfits were also very impressive... but again the signature red didn't do anything for me.

I wasn't fond of the red-suits either.

I'm entirely against the 'off duty' outfits. Both the submarine-style sweaters and the jacket-less uniforms/flight suits struck me as being very awkward (too intentionally fashionable). The patches were the worst, though... they're one of the few things the games all did very well. It's such a shame becaue the art design for the patches was incredible, but they went with the iron-on style intead of embroidering them. I understand the reference (to the beta-cloth patches worn by astronauts), but I didn't like them.

I didn't like the off-duty outfits either. You know, the peanut-butter navy duty-uniforms (they're khaki-colored)? I think those would have been the best, and they looked a lot like the WC-1 uniforms.

Victoria Kent

You know in all of WC-1, and the beginning of WC-2, they never seemed to have any problem naming the ship the Tiger's Claw, and calling it Tiger-Claw
Did you actually read star soldier?

In WC-2 it was called the Rapier II... in WC-1 it was just called the Rapier. It would appear as if they were using the Navy idea of having a more advanced version of a fighter called miscellaneousfighter-II. For example prior to 1962, the F-8 was called the F-8U... the first of the series was called the F-8U-1, then the F-8U-2... they were still basically had the same airframe, the -2's nose was a little bit longer and better streamlined for supersonic flight, but otherwise, they're all Crusaders. (The exception would be the F-8U-3 Super Crusader, which was completely different in virtually every way, the structure was larger and composed largely out of titanium, the engines were different, the air intake, nose, and windscreen were shaped differently, the wings were modified etc...)

Additionally, the CF-117 Rapier was never mentioned in Action Stations among the various fighters depicted of that earlier era.
So somehow stuff written in WC4 should magically apear in WC1 for it to be valid? WC4 must be ignored because no one ever referenced the so-called "border worlders" before.

Have you ever seen footage of an aircaft-carrier's flight-deck? You see all sorts of planes all over the place, AWACS (E-2C), until recently the F-14, the F-18, etc... there are loads of different planes there which are quite visible.

while that may be the case in real life, how is this relevant to WC? As it is, the Movie's shooting script did have Krants and Salthis along with the dralthis. And again, How does only seeing rapiers and broadswords automatically mean there's no other fighters on the tiger's claw?

Plus, the novel is not the same as the movie. The novel was written after the movie and would have probably added details after the fact that were not in the movie. Also, anything cut out of the movie, would have been probably mentioned even though it was cut from the movie.

Wrong. The Novel is based on the shooting script (so yes all the traitor subplot is still in). But it's a fallacy to say it was written after. If anything it's being written before that allows the traitor subplot to not be removed. Also it's the nature of the written page that means extra details not seen in the movie can be added. Any novel writter should be going back an researching the background info. How does this in anyway invalidate one or the other? It doesn't. In fact the book sticks vary close to the script.

Again... the book is not the same as the movie. Although obviously he is a combat pilot. Where he actually served other than a Cruiser and the Tiger's Claw is beyond me. Him being a Commodore doesn't mesh with the WC-1 game. He was just a Major/LCDR (Still a senior rank, but no commodore). Additionally if he *was* a Commodore, he would be equal to Tolwyn in the mid 2650 era.
Paladin was a vet if the Pilgrim wars. At one point he lived as a pilgrim as part of his covert ops. THat's why he has the Cross and the maps in the movie.

Expanding a story is one thing... completely re-writing it is another. That's the issue I have with the WC Movie. That would be a serious part of Terran history during the Kilrathi war -- the Kilrathi manage to destroy a base, and find a jumpline right to Earth (near Venus), forcing Confed to scramble at record speed destroying several vessels just from reactor malfunctions, and jump-mistakes, and just narrowly stopped them because a fighter jumped through and broadcased the jump-coordinates to the approaching battlefleet. That's not a little item a history...
But it doesn't rewrite anything in the same way none of the other games or books are rewritting anything. You're making issues where there are none. I would stop if I were you. According to your logic, no one can ever go back and fill in the space between the start of the Kilrathi War and now because that would be a "Major Revision." Or what about the years where Blair was in the ISS flying backwater policing patrols instead of fighting the kilrathi on the front line?

Wing Commander Fleet Action which was a novel taking place in 2668, 14 years after WCM, and it didn't seem to mention anything about a serious ambush/sneak-attack battle like this. In fact FA seems to be one of the first time Kilrathi managed to make it all the way to Earth to my knowledge...
so no one is allowed to write new stories without a time machine now? Wow! I want in!

Keep in mind though, WCM doesn't look like either design.

And there's the crux of the matter - that "arbitrary" I-don't-like-this-so-it-goes attitude. It's okey for the Tiger's Claw to look six different ways *before* the movie... but that seventh time, hoo-boy, now they're wrong and must be attacked. It's an absolutely unsupportable double (actually: septuple) standard.

The Rapier was never referred to as the Rapier II in WC-1. And generally when a fighter is brand new it is referred to by it's exact designation... no nickname's been added to it yet. For example the A-4D was the Skyhawk... however it was also nicknamed the Scooter. The F-105 Thunderchief was designated as such, but quickly it was designated the "Thud"... etc.

This isn't even true - it's something incredibly awkward and strange that you've made up in order to insist that there's a continuity error here. There's absolutely no gold standard for *how everyone in the world refers to something at a particular time*. It's easily the least quantifiable thing in the universe and you're acting like it's some kind of wonderful gold standard for argument.

(It's not only completely unquantifiable, it's abjectly false - the A-10 was the 'Warthog' before it was even in active service. And beyond even that, 'Rapier' isn't a nickname. It's just incredibly frustrating to imagine that someone thinks that argument could actually work this way.)

Considering she had the authority to push the wreckage of the damaged craft off the deck suggest significant authority. Like ship's CO authority, or Airwing Commander.

... except that she's neither of those things. She occupies the third tier on the carrier's chain of command, Squadron Commander (or maybe second, since Sansky had already been incapacitated at this point). She's also clearly the ranking officer on the flight deck at this point.

But I mean, seriously, what's the point of this? You can't possibly think back to this scene without realizing that it *immediately follows* a segment which makes clear Devereaux is commanding a single squadron (tasked with attacking the phoney ComCon) rather than the whole of the 'Claw's fighter complement (which is defending the ship). Why are you plugging your fingers in your ears and insisting otherwise? What's the benefit to pretending you don't understand even the movie's internal logic?

Uh, it does describe the McAuliffe engagement in 2634 which was later made into Action-Stations.

Actually, Wing Commander I doesn't ever mention the McAuliffe Ambush (despite visiting McAuliffe and engaging a Kilrathi battle group there) - it's only in Claw Marks. And we've already established why Claw Marks couldn't reference the movie...

WW-2 uniforms looked basically the same as now. 1939 to present basically. Just a small change to the hats (a metal rim in there) and a few pins (the Command at Sea badge worn on the right breast by ship commanders) different. Otherwise, they're the same uniforms.

The uniform may have been meant to look WW-2 like but it looked very cheesy to me.

The movie uniforms had a variety of influences - not all of them World War II. The more casual duty uniforms were taken right from the WW2-era silent service... but the formal naval jackets would have been more at home on the bridges of the Great White Fleet.

I'm not following you here - this is exactly the point of the Star*Soldier explanation. You didn't respond to it in any fashion. Did you read it? If not, why not? Respond to the actual argument, not with some odd bit of vagary.

No... you're absolutely wrong here. A 'II' after the name in both USN and TCN nomenclature indicates an entirely new and unrelated airframe. The A-7 Corsair II is not a development of the F4U Corsair. The A-10 Thunderbolt II is not a development of the P-47 Thunderbolt. The F-35 Lightning II is not a development of the P-38 Lightning, etc., etc. In Wing Commander we see plenty of ships go through variants and retain the roman numeral just like the real system. Look all the different models of Thunderbolt VIIs, Hellcat Vs and Arrow Vs. Heck, there's an 'X' model Rapier II in Wing Commander Arena that's still the F-44X Rapier II.

(In fact, even your non-example is terrible: the specific practice of referring to the redesigns of the Crusader as 'Crusader II' and 'Crusader III' was actively discouraged by the Navy... because it didn't fit with their formal system for naming aircraft.)

The novel that you just insisted shouldn't be part of the canon?

I don't understand where you're getting this stuff - it's not a legitimate way of thinking about anything, ever. Repeat to yourself: not seeing a thing is not the same as a thing ceasing to exist. Close your eyes... you can't see your computer anymore! Do not panic... it still exists.

Not only is this a simple thought process that's necessary for dealing with everyday life, but it's *absolutely* necessary to understanding spacecraft history in Wing Commander. Each new game doesn't invent a new set of five to ten spaeccraft that were magically built in the course of sometimes only a few months... they bring out ships that we haven't seen before. (Made clear by the fact that each game frequently features one 'cutting edge' new design as a story element).

(In fact, Action Stations has three 'ship piles'... points in the book where several present-day ships are listed off in quick fashion and *never* described or mentioned again. Surprise, surprise - there's no overlap even within the confines of the novel. There's no overlap even when those piles are describing ships at the *Same base*!)

I have seen the deck of the Tiger's Claw, which is what's being discussed here... and has never, ever seen more than one type of fighter on the flight deck at a time in Wing Commander I. What is your point here? It's okay to show only one class of fighter at a time in Wing Commander, The Secret Missions, Secret Missions 2, Super Wing Commander and Wing Commander Academy... but not in the movie? How can you believe that? Is your point that you want the film to be less like the game?

ARGH! Listen very carefully: if you do not know something, do not say it. You've just written this as though it were true... and it isn't. At all. I worked on (and am credited in) the novel. Like every movie novelization ever it was written before the movie was finished. Peter Telep was given a copy of the shooting script and (much later on) some still photographs from the shoot. This is one of the reasons the book is so interesting... because it's written using Wing Commander I, Claw Marks, the USG, etc. as reference points rather than the movie itself (which hadn't been made yet). This is all because it takes months to edit and publish a novel... so it has to be 'ready to go' *well* before a finished cut of a movie is done. The same is true of the game novelizations - they're written based on the games scripts and nothing else.

I would have to see a transcript of the dialogue from the SWC intro... However, since it was was part of a briefing in WC-1 after the beginning, it kind of is part of the game's plot after the beginning

What you just said doesn't make sense. It ignored three of the four points (well, technically all four - butit referenced one of them) I listed and came to a conclusion that is bizarre and unrelated to the topic at hand. So, I will repeat: the movie's inclusion of a Fralthi before the 'McLaren' dialogue in Wing Commander I is in no way unique to that story. Fralthi appear before that point at several times:

* They are listed in the April, 2654 Joan's Fighting Ships update (ie, in Claw Marks). This was printed months before the events of

* Paladin says "Approaching Fralthi target" in the Super Wing Commander intro flick. The scene takes place in the Enyo System (at the beginning of Wing Commander I). I don't know how the specific dialogue helps you, but there you go.

* Ralgha talks about having commanded the Ras Nik'hra for several years of the Vega Campaign in Freedom Flight. This is less than a year after the 'discovery' of the Fralthi.

* A pair of Fralthi are guarding a jump point in 'Expendable', an episode of Wing Commander Academy set earlier in 2654.

These are all points in the timeline where the Fralthi appears before the supposed discovery scene you referred to earlier. Where are we going with this? Exactly where the dialogue you didn't quote says - that the McLaren sighting refers to the new carrier conversion of the Fralthi and not the cruiser which has been in service for years... including in the movie.

Colonel Halcyon was the Ship's CO *AND* the WC? I was always under the impression that he was just the WC, and there was some other guy commanding the ship.

Halcyon commanded the Tiger's Claw during Operation Thor's Hammer, Tolwyn having left the ship shorty before. He mentions commanding the ship in The Secret Mission's dialogue (the character of Captain Thorn was created by Freedom Flight some years later).

As I said, the book is not the same as the movie.

It is, however, part of the same continuity - which is the point of all this. We're not debating whether or not it's a good movie (we would probably agree on that point). We're debating the value and the meaning of its impact on the overall continuity... and a huge amount of that value comes not from the movie itself but from the spinoff novels and the Confederation Handbook. The movie is just a small, small story that doesn't really introduce anything interesting or new.

I wouldn't say he was necessarily a Commodore in the sense that he rose through the ranks... but he was someone to whom Naval Intelligence specifically granted the broad power to order around line captains for this particular operation (which would be the classic definition of Commodore, wouldn't it?).

Expanding a story is one thing... completely re-writing it is another. That's the issue I have with the WC Movie.

The Wing Commander movie is not rewriting a story - it's telling a story which hadn't been told before (Blair and Maniac's arrival on the Tiger's Claw). It's quite clever... and clear... in this regard. They specifically chose a point to tell the story that hadn't been expanded upon. We've seen them given their orders

That would be a serious part of Terran history during the Kilrathi war -- the Kilrathi manage to destroy a base, and find a jumpline right to Earth (near Venus), forcing Confed to scramble at record speed destroying several vessels just from reactor malfunctions, and jump-mistakes, and just narrowly stopped them because a fighter jumped through and broadcased the jump-coordinates to the approaching battlefleet. That's not a little item a history...

I imagine that's why it's in Gunther's timeline, as of Star*Soldier (you're simplifying the story, though - they didn't *find* a jumpline in the sense that they could ever use it again... they went through Charybdis using the stolen Navcom and the lack of the Pegasus station - it's not something that could be repeated).

As I said... small additions of detail is one thing. Completely adding a MAJOR sneak-attack, ambush retroactively into the plot is another.

No, it isn't - you're just completely wrong on your face here. The tiny amount of background given by Claw Marks was created and presented in a manner *designed* for exactly this sort of addition. By limiting your history to a few even-numbered events you let future story writers add *exactly* this sort of story. It's *why* the first timeline was done in a piecemeal fashion. (And they began doing so immediately, with references to battles like Epsilon Prime in Wing Commander I.)

Yeah, it mentions a Kilrathi invasion... the WCM description would be a MAJOR story event -- not a little trivial piece of data!

Please don't ignore things in this fashion again. This was *somehow* in my response to pointing out that the Claw Marks timeline was a) not a timeline and b) written before the events of the movie. Your response takes neither of those things into account.

Well you're sort of right. But even afterwords, nobody seemed to mention something this major! This came an inch short of a full blown invasion-- it was a MAJOR story detail!

No one in Wing Commander I mentions the McAuliffe Ambush or the Enyo Engagement, despite fighting further battles in both of those specific systems.

Except that's not a fact - it's something you made up in order to disagree with the movie. Don't do this!

Well, in Wing Commander the characters were VERY diverse. You had a black-guy from Africa (Khumalo), a guy from China (Chen), a Japanese (Spirit/Mariko Tanaka or vice versa), and a Belgian woman (Deveraux), a Scottish guy (Taggart), one guy from a Colony *OUTSIDE* the solar-system (Marshall), and two Americans (Blair, Halcyon)

Bossman wasn't Chinese, Paladin wasn't Scottish, Blair wasn't American and no background was ever established for Halcyon (Bossman was Taiwanese, Paladin was from Ares and Blair was from Nephele.)

Well technically I'm right and wrong. Technically Captain Picard was originally to be named Julian Picard (British) -- later on they re-named him Jean-Luc for more dramatic effect. However the actor still was and is British!

That's completely irrelevant to the point - you can't classify casting Stewart in TNG as a *mistake* because he's of a nationality other than his character (he is also not really a space captain).

The double-breasted uniforms did look navy-like, but the way the uniform was designed, partially the fabric made them look incredibly cheesy.

You're reaching for something that isn't there. There's no 'haha, it's a cheap b-movie' aspect to the Wing Commander movie's production - the production designer and the cinematographer were both extremely well respected (with at least one Oscar between them). You may not like the designs (but then if we've learned anything here it's that you protest too much), but it's certainly not cheap fabric.

I wasn't fond of the red-suits either.

Interestingly, it wasn't the first WC to have red flightsuits - they show up on the box art of the FM Towns port of Wing Commander I way back in 1992.

Bandit LOAF
And there's the crux of the matter - that "arbitrary" I-don't-like-this-so-it-goes attitude. It's okey for the Tiger's Claw to look six different ways *before* the movie... but that seventh time, hoo-boy, now they're wrong and must be attacked. It's an absolutely unsupportable double (actually: septuple) standard.

My point is that it did not look like *any* design of the Tiger's Claw seen in any of the games.

This isn't even true - it's something incredibly awkward and strange that you've made up in order to insist that there's a continuity error here. There's absolutely no gold standard for *how everyone in the world refers to something at a particular time*. It's easily the least quantifiable thing in the universe and you're acting like it's some kind of wonderful gold standard for argument.

In any case, there is no evidence (prior to the WC-Movie) that suggested the WC-1 Rapier was anything other than the Rapier, not Rapier II, or Rapier III etc. It was just called the Rapier.

... except that she's neither of those things. She occupies the third tier on the carrier's chain of command, Squadron Commander (or maybe second, since Sansky had already been incapacitated at this point). She's also clearly the ranking officer on the flight deck at this point.

But how would she *know* the skipper was incapacitated? And still CDR Gerald was still alive -- he would be the most senior person.

But I mean, seriously, what's the point of this? You can't possibly think back to this scene without realizing that it *immediately follows* a segment which makes clear Devereaux is commanding a single squadron (tasked with attacking the phoney ComCon) rather than the whole of the 'Claw's fighter complement (which is defending the ship). Why are you plugging your fingers in your ears and insisting otherwise? What's the benefit to pretending you don't understand even the movie's internal logic?

She wasn't commanding just a squadron. There were Rapiers, Broadswords and such. Generally a squadron consist of only one type of aircraft/spacecraft in this case.

Actually, Wing Commander I doesn't ever mention the McAuliffe Ambush (despite visiting McAuliffe and engaging a Kilrathi battle group there) - it's only in Claw Marks. And we've already established why Claw Marks couldn't reference the movie...

I was talking about Claw-Marks. And keep in mind I was responding to your message line by line. So I didn't see the comment about Claw Marks not being written in the time that the story took place in.

The movie uniforms had a variety of influences - not all of them World War II. The more casual duty uniforms were taken right from the WW2-era silent service... but the formal naval jackets would have been more at home on the bridges of the Great White Fleet.

Still, I think they look very cheesy. It's my opinion.

I'm not following you here - this is exactly the point of the Star*Soldier explanation. You didn't respond to it in any fashion. Did you read it? If not, why not? Respond to the actual argument, not with some odd bit of vagary.

No, I didn't read it. I don't even have a link to it. But Star-Soldier was written WAY after the movie.

No... you're absolutely wrong here. A 'II' after the name in both USN and TCN nomenclature indicates an entirely new and unrelated airframe. The A-7 Corsair II is not a development of the F4U Corsair. The A-10 Thunderbolt II is not a development of the P-47 Thunderbolt. The F-35 Lightning II is not a development of the P-38 Lightning, etc., etc. In Wing Commander we see plenty of ships go through variants and retain the roman numeral just like the real system. Look all the different models of Thunderbolt VIIs, Hellcat Vs and Arrow Vs. Heck, there's an 'X' model Rapier II in Wing Commander Arena that's still the F-44X Rapier II.

Yeah, but in WC-1 it was just called the Rapier. Not Rapier I, or Rapier II. Which in my opinion is enough to say that there was no "other" Rapier in WC-1 at that timeframe.

Additionally some of the drawings prior to the movie being made depicted a much different fighter than the one finally shown as the Rapier. While it didn't exactly look like either fighter, it looked way more like the Rapier from the game than the Rapier from the movie.

The novel that you just insisted shouldn't be part of the canon?

Hey, it's more canonicalish (yes that's my own word) than the WCM was... And it was based on a battle that was already written about.

I don't understand where you're getting this stuff - it's not a legitimate way of thinking about anything, ever. Repeat to yourself: not seeing a thing is not the same as a thing ceasing to exist. Close your eyes... you can't see your computer anymore! Do not panic... it still exists.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying something that big of an event would be unlikely to never be mentioned. WC:FA never mentioned any kind of sneak attack like this (granted the movie was written later -- but still, the WCM sneak-attack was something HUGE -- they damn near got Earth! That was not a tiny adjustment to the plot to add some detail and stuff -- it was a major change! Not a small addition)

Not only is this a simple thought process that's necessary for dealing with everyday life, but it's *absolutely* necessary to understanding spacecraft history in Wing Commander. Each new game doesn't invent a new set of five to ten spaeccraft that were magically built in the course of sometimes only a few months... they bring out ships that we haven't seen before. (Made clear by the fact that each game frequently features one 'cutting edge' new design as a story element).

That's true. But the Rapier in WC-1 wasn't called the Rapier II, which it would have been had the Rapier from WCM would have existed. And it's odd considering Blair had flown them that it would have never been mentioned again. And it's not like Blair went up every time to a more advanced fighter as the game progressed. Sometimes he went back to flying Scimitars in some missions, etc. Why didn't he go back to flying these CF-117's ;)

I have seen the deck of the Tiger's Claw, which is what's being discussed here... and has never, ever seen more than one type of fighter on the flight deck at a time in Wing Commander I. What is your point here? It's okay to show only one class of fighter at a time in Wing Commander, The Secret Missions, Secret Missions 2, Super Wing Commander and Wing Commander Academy... but not in the movie? How can you believe that? Is your point that you want the film to be less like the game?

A movie if anything should be *more* realistic than the game. Carriers are packed for space. Even if not seen on the deck, there are recessed areas on the side of the flight-deck (at least the Victory and Lexington, which were the most realistic designs seen) where you would see loads of fighters being fixed and repared. And while it's possible they'd all be the same class, the likely hood would be that you'd see multiple planes being fixed -- if realism was the goal.

ARGH! Listen very carefully: if you do not know something, do not say it. You've just written this as though it were true... and it isn't. At all. I worked on (and am credited in) the novel. Like every movie novelization ever it was written before the movie was finished. Peter Telep was given a copy of the shooting script and (much later on) some still photographs from the shoot. This is one of the reasons the book is so interesting... because it's written using Wing Commander I, Claw Marks, the USG, etc. as reference points rather than the movie itself (which hadn't been made yet). This is all because it takes months to edit and publish a novel... so it has to be 'ready to go' *well* before a finished cut of a movie is done. The same is true of the game novelizations - they're written based on the games scripts and nothing else.

Jesus Christ, I assumed it was written after. The WC-3 novel was written after WC-3 the game. Still, the fact that it used Claw-Marks and other sources as reference points would explain why it had more detail than the movie.

What you just said doesn't make sense. It ignored three of the four points (well, technically all four - butit referenced one of them) I listed and came to a conclusion that is bizarre and unrelated to the topic at hand. So, I will repeat: the movie's inclusion of a Fralthi before the 'McLaren' dialogue in Wing Commander I is in no way unique to that story. Fralthi appear before that point at several times:

* They are listed in the April, 2654 Joan's Fighting Ships update (ie, in Claw Marks). This was printed months before the events of

* Paladin says "Approaching Fralthi target" in the Super Wing Commander intro flick. The scene takes place in the Enyo System (at the beginning of Wing Commander I). I don't know how the specific dialogue helps you, but there you go.

* Ralgha talks about having commanded the Ras Nik'hra for several years of the Vega Campaign in Freedom Flight. This is less than a year after the 'discovery' of the Fralthi.

* A pair of Fralthi are guarding a jump point in 'Expendable', an episode of Wing Commander Academy set earlier in 2654.

- The claw marks listing strikes me as kind of odd, and potentially a continuity error with the game. The game made them seem brand new -- it may have been added just for game players to see everything in the game -- after all the Rapier's specs are drawn up too... But one could argue Halcyon was just reviewing the fact that they were brand new (that would make sense) -- still I don't know why he'd need to review them if they were encountered in the WC-M... Would there need to be any need for reviewing it?

- The Paladin comment is interesting. But I'm wondering if this was just added after the fact (after the WC-1 game) for entertainment value. Considering Halcyon felt it necessary to mention the new design or review it would mean that even if it did exist a few months, he felt the necessary to mention it or at least review it to new pilots.

- The Fralthi may have existed before it's appearance in WC-1 the game. But it wasn't well known, or whoever saw it (opposing ships) was killed before they could broadcast specs.

- Wing Commander Academy (TV) was made AFTER many of the games were written. For this reason they may have added the Fralthi even though if it would have been slightly out of continuity

These are all points in the timeline where the Fralthi appears before the supposed discovery scene you referred to earlier. Where are we going with this? Exactly where the dialogue you didn't quote says - that the McLaren sighting refers to the new carrier conversion of the Fralthi and not the cruiser which has been in service for years... including in the movie.

I already wrote some explanations. But perhaps you are right, it may have been the carrier conversion that was new. But why did they code name it "Fralthi". The name wasn't new... and if I recall it was called a cruiser.

BTW: I know the regular Fralthi had a fighter complement of 20... what did the Carrier version carry?

Halcyon commanded the Tiger's Claw during Operation Thor's Hammer, Tolwyn having left the ship shorty before. He mentions commanding the ship in The Secret Mission's dialogue (the character of Captain Thorn was created by Freedom Flight some years later).

Halcyon himself mentions commanding the ship?

Still, it does seem odd though, that the Wing Commander would be also commanding the ship. The Carrier Air Wing is generally a seperate chain of command from the rest of the Carriers complement. If whoever was the Captain died, the XO would be in charge even if the Wing Commander outranked him. Still Jason Bondarevsky the WC on the Tarawa took the helm after the skipper died.

When was it mentioned that Tolwyn left? (prior to WCA-TV)

It is, however, part of the same continuity - which is the point of all this. We're not debating whether or not it's a good movie (we would probably agree on that point). We're debating the value and the meaning of its impact on the overall continuity... and a huge amount of that value comes not from the movie itself but from the spinoff novels and the Confederation Handbook. The movie is just a small, small story that doesn't really introduce anything interesting or new.

In either case, such a close call in which Earth almost got ambushed is a big part of the storyline which novels written in later parts of the timeline (2668 for example) would have brought up. Additionally, the WC-Bible which while not canon unless repeated elsewhere, never mentioned anything like such an ambush being part of the plot. That's a really close call.

I wouldn't say he was necessarily a Commodore in the sense that he rose through the ranks... but he was someone to whom Naval Intelligence specifically granted the broad power to order around line captains for this particular operation (which would be the classic definition of Commodore, wouldn't it?).

Deveraux did a database search with her fighter... which is beyond me as I don't know how so much data about people in the intelligence community would be carried in every fighter's computer (and they couldn't communicate with the Claw...)... C6AZ9 clearance... and Commodore James Taggart came up. It specifically called him a Commodore.

The Wing Commander movie is not rewriting a story - it's telling a story which hadn't been told before (Blair and Maniac's arrival on the Tiger's Claw). It's quite clever... and clear... in this regard. They specifically chose a point to tell the story that hadn't been expanded upon. We've seen them given their orders

One thing is expanding upon a story. But this is inserting a part of the story that was never in mentioned in WC before... not the WC-Bible, (which while not Canon, covers the timeline from 2634 to at least 2669), every novel other than the WC-Movie Novel/ Pilgrim-Stars novel, and the WC-Movie...

I imagine that's why it's in Gunther's timeline, as of Star*Soldier (you're simplifying the story, though - they didn't *find* a jumpline in the sense that they could ever use it again... they went through Charybdis using the stolen Navcom and the lack of the Pegasus station - it's not something that could be repeated).

Star*Soldier was written AFTER the WC-Movie...

No, it isn't - you're just completely wrong on your face here. The tiny amount of background given by Claw Marks was created and presented in a manner *designed* for exactly this sort of addition. By limiting your history to a few even-numbered events you let future story writers add *exactly* this sort of story. It's *why* the first timeline was done in a piecemeal fashion. (And they began doing so immediately, with references to battles like Epsilon Prime in Wing Commander I.)

I don't know about the Epsilon Prime battle, but the WC-Movie wasn't a small addition -- it was a HUGE insertion of material -- it would have been a major part of a war! Your enemy nearly reaches your homeworld!!! And is narrowly stopped.

Second of all... why would Earth's destruction in the story make as big a deal as they made it out to be? I thought only the Kilrathi's culture and stuff was so centered around their homeworld and we were more decentralized... (I'm seriously curious about this one -- Blair, the main character was from Nephele, Marshall was from Leto, etc...)

No one in Wing Commander I mentions the McAuliffe Ambush or the Enyo Engagement, despite fighting further battles in both of those specific systems.

Well yeah, to the best of my memory. But it was mentioned in Claw-Marks (Which timeline or not, is a source and was mentioned), and the WC-Bible (Which if mentioned in more than one source is canon)

Except that's not a fact - it's something you made up in order to disagree with the movie. Don't do this!

Well, no other source in the entire WC-Bible prior to the Movie, to the best of my knowledge, did not cover any invasion like that -- all the way to Earth's door step other than Fleet-Action. I wasn't attempting to make it up in order to disagree with the movie, or get under your skin or anything.

Bossman wasn't Chinese, Paladin wasn't Scottish, Blair wasn't American and no background was ever established for Halcyon (Bossman was Taiwanese, Paladin was from Ares and Blair was from Nephele.)

You're kidding me with Bossman right? Taiwan is called the Republic of China... may not be the People's Republic of China, but he's of Chinese descent...

Regarding Halcyon -- I assumed Halcyon was from Earth. Seemed kind of a gruff American WWII officer type.

I did not know Taggart was from Ares, and since he had a Scottish accent I would have assume he was from Scottland.

I guess Blair was from Nephele, but I thought somewhere in the WC story it said he was also from Earth (not sure if that's true though)

That's completely irrelevant to the point - you can't classify casting Stewart in TNG as a *mistake* because he's of a nationality other than his character (he is also not really a space captain).

He wasn't a mistake! Them making his character into a French guy was a mistake, although Jean-Luc does sound cooler than Julian...

You're reaching for something that isn't there. There's no 'haha, it's a cheap b-movie' aspect to the Wing Commander movie's production - the production designer and the cinematographer were both extremely well respected (with at least one Oscar between them). You may not like the designs (but then if we've learned anything here it's that you protest too much), but it's certainly not cheap fabric.

I wasn't reaching for anything. I just thought the uniforms looked cheesy to me. The fabric may have been the most expensive in the world, the designers may have been top notch. But I still think the design looked cheesy. It's subjective. You may love the designs, in fact many people on this forum may like em. I just don't.

Interestingly, it wasn't the first WC to have red flightsuits - they show up on the box art of the FM Towns port of Wing Commander I way back in 1992.

Okay, if they did, they did.

Victoria Kent

Back