You just can't win!

Primate

Spaceman
Has anyone ever played WC4 and chosen not to defect to the Border Worlds after Eisen offers for the second time? It seems impossible to beat that mission, and there is no cutscene afterwards to indicate that the game is over. Did I miss something?

Nope, you didn't miss anything. You must defect to the BW, or else you can't continue the game.

Personally, while I can see the reasoning (highest among the concerns being cost and size of the finished product), I would have liked the option of playing it through in Confed, perhaps even with a bit of working towards the same general goal as the UBW, only from the Confed side of the fence, so to speak.

Of course, that'd wind up costing like $30-40 million in production costs and span at least 10 CDs...
wink.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited January 20, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you can try all you want, but it is impossible to stay with confed. I think thats why they make it so obvious that something bad is going on if you stay the first time so that you'll leave the second time.

------------------
Peace cannot be kept by force, it must be achieved through understanding.

Defected the second time only once myself, didn't like so I didn't do it again. But if you want to fight Seether without having to wait till you finish the game you can always go there and when he's flying on your wing just start a fight.
wink.gif

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your point? I think you'd have enough time to kick his arse.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

That scene where it says "Traitors never win" is contradictory. In order to win you have to betray Confed & become a traitor.
Besides it would be impossible to win from the Confed side. You'd never learn about the bio weapons, never fight the Dragons & never find out about Tolwyn's plans. You'd be under his thumb the whole time.

The other sucky thing is if you defect the second time you find out Vagabond was killed in a Confed attack.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

MadDog243 you don't find that he was killed in a Confed attack. If you defect the second time, he was kiled when he ejected. The Intrepid couldn't go back for him, so he died because of Blair when you forced him to eject.

------------------

I didn't even like staying on the first time,
because your former squadron mates start showing up as "sick" on the status board and are replaced by (what I think are) Black Lance pilots. And some of their comments and attitudes realy SUCK!

Earthworm: You're right. Killing Seether in that mission is SO sweet!

Penguin: If you stayed on, Tolwyn would eventually let you fly the Dragon, and you'd probably find out about the bio-weapons. All considered, flying for Confed could give the same result (i.e. Tolwyn's disgrace), but it would be a lot harder to get the information you needed.

There is a WC4 mission pack in the CIC missions section that continues the story if you don't defect the second time. Haven't been able to get it running though.

------------------
The time is near.
There are 344 days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Quarto: Correction. Staying with Confed would ensure you never got the info. If Tolwyn can keep the Confederation Assembly in the black he can sure as hell keep you in the black. True you might get to fly Dragons but that's easily explained as just a new fighter like the Excalibur when that first arrived on the front line. You'd be too busy fighting UBW militants that you wouldn't know about the flashpack, bio weapons & the BL.
The reason why you're meant to defect is so that you can do some snooping behind the scenes. Why do you think Eisen defected? He knew Confed had skeletons in the wardrobe but as a Confed captain he wasn't in the correct position to pick up any more info so he went to the UBW.

Well maybe if you stayed with him Tolwyn would bring you into the fold. Of course after that you would either have been a murderer or have been killed by Tolwyn's forces.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

Penguin: I think that Tolwyn would have made the mistake of explaining things to Blair. After all, Blair's name can add good publicity to any cause.

Yeah, IMO, Tolwyn would have tried to convince Blair to join the BL. This way he could have used him as a prominent figure to bring the BL into the open.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Well, in False Colors he was about to tell Bondarevsky about the bioweapons and he didn't, so who's to say he'd tell Blair?

------------------
"He has warrior spirit. It will be the death of him." Prince Thrakhath - End Run

He wasn't going to tell him. He wanted to tell Bear, but he knew he wouldn't see it the way he did.

------------------

Back