You guys gotta get rid of the taunts.

U

Unregistered

Yea like the thread name says, you guys really need to get rid of those taunts. There terrible, who would start singing the mighty mouse theme song during a dam firefight. Not to mention the most of the in flight audio seems to completely lag out the games engine causing frame skitching to the likes that i haven't seen since the battlefield 2142 beta.

Not to say the games bad or anything, in fact its quite well done with the exception of the taunts. look forward to the next release.

Well if this lags you than you should upgrade your PC. not to mention, that if you walnt to be so critical, you shopuld have the courage to register...

You can turn off taunts (and other non-essential in-flight comms) yourself from the ESC options menu.

As for the comm lag, it really can be a problem on some systems, it happens because of the way the anti-video skipping patch works (ie: it fixes WCP's video-skipping on faster machines, at the expense of slowing the game down while a video is playing :p).

I'd love to have another way around this as well... but HCl, author of most of our DLL patches, has been very busy lately.

if you walnt to be so critical, you shopuld have the courage to register...
I don't really mind, getting feedback from as many people as possible is always nice.

I actually think they fit right into what I would expect for WC taunts. There's no need for all of them to be long strings of expletives, which is what I feel like some people want. They should be witty and slightly toned down, I mean it is a video game and not real space combat so the taunts help create that kind of environment.

I'm actually pretty fond of most of them. They serve their purpose without taking away from the gameplay.

yea hey mancubus I was too lazy to log in earlier so as for the courage you speak of, well there it is, too bad I still retain my anonymity. as for needing to upgrade my rig I did that a few months back, Im running a Nvidia BFG so I somehow doubt that its a gfx card problem and perhaps an open gl issue. Ill try the fixes you recommended Eder. Otherwise, I said the game was great and i just got grypes with the taunts because well ive grown up with the game and the old school cheeziness that was prevent in the games (ie taunts and such) just don't do it for me anymore. Especially some of the lines in WC3 where the kilrathi say somthing like die you hairless descendant of monkies, which kinda makes me wonder did monkeys evolve on every dam planet in the universe. Its those little details that drive me nuts, maybe im a lil anal but hey its all in the details right.

Sirs,

I can see the original poster's point about "here I come to save the daaaay". I'd really appreciate it if you guys could remove that specific phrase - it really is very irritating.

As a whole though, the taunts are good and quite atmospheric. Especially the Retros; I played that mission over and over, just to hear them die!

KvK

Wing Commander without one especially irritating taunt that you never want to hear again? Unimaginable.

I'm gonna BARBEQUE you chickens!

Haha. Oh jeebus, that one was horrible :p

I got rather tired of some of the taunts by confed traitors and mandarins in SO1/SO2.

"you're DEAD MEAT!!"

what are you, twelve, pilot?

But one taunt I did wish the Kilrathi would have thrown at us in-game was, "Bugs Bunny screws his mother!"

Haha. Oh jeebus, that one was horrible :p

I got rather tired of some of the taunts by confed traitors and mandarins in SO1/SO2.

"you're DEAD MEAT!!"

what are you, twelve, pilot?

But one taunt I did wish the Kilrathi would have thrown at us in-game was, "Bugs Bunny screws his mother!"

Your a dead man wamsey!!

No wonder you guys don't talk!

Not to mention the most of the in flight audio seems to completely lag out the games engine causing frame skitching to the likes that i haven't seen since the battlefield 2142 beta.
as for needing to upgrade my rig I did that a few months back, Im running a Nvidia BFG so I somehow doubt that its a gfx card problem and perhaps an open gl issue. Ill try the fixes you recommended Eder.
Hi. As Eder said, the main cause of the lag if the movie anti-skipping patch; what's lagging is your CPU, not your 3D card. Here is an alternative to using this patch that may solve your lag problems: First, disable the patch in Standoff's option menu. Then, disable DirectX's sound acceleration. To do this, run DXDIAG.EXE, click on the "Sound" tab and there drag the "Sound acceleration all the way left.

Hi. As Eder said, the main cause of the lag if the movie anti-skipping patch; what's lagging is your CPU, not your 3D card. Here is an alternative to using this patch that may solve your lag problems: First, disable the patch in Standoff's option menu. Then, disable DirectX's sound acceleration. To do this, run DXDIAG.EXE, click on the "Sound" tab and there drag the "Sound acceleration all the way left.

If that doesn't work (on machines like mine) try turning on the Sound Acceleration to just Basic as opposed to all the way off. That's how I run Standoff and I only get com lag on the *BIG* missions where there are tons of ships involved.

Also, if you just want to hear a person swearing constantly and yelling like it was real combat, just ask me to play Arena with you. Anyone who's played with me can vouch that that's mostly what you'll hear.

Back