You Didn't Buy it for the Articles (August 11, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
In 1995, Origin created several beautiful magazine covers to promote Wing Commander IV. Rather than simply capture screens from the game itself, these renderings were unique works of art. Now you can see the original resolution images, as they were created before being sent off to the magazine editors! A fourth image was created for Electronic Entertainment, although the source file has not been located.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else notice that the Banshee in the third image is unpiloted? Either the Hellcat pilot has really bad aim and can't hit a stationary, unmanned target, or the Banshee we see is actually a secret Black Lance drone meant to incriminate the UBW.

IIRC, Sean Murphy has pointed out that they never rendered pilots in the Wing Commander IV ships ever.

You know, I never noticed until now that you could see the empty pilot's seat. I had just always thought that the cockpit windows were rendered as opaque and we just couldn't see inside.

There are lots of renders that exclude pilots from the cockpit, mostly fanmade, but also in some of the Prophecy promo shots. I've seen it in the Star Wars universe too.

Imagine in 1995, how long it would have taken to e-mail those pictures with dial-up, and being on the receiving end, seeing the image tantalisingly emerge, line by line :p. I'll bet they saved time and shipped them off to the magazines on disks!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come by these Bandit LOAF? Another gem from the archive project?

They did! I have a few WCP electronic press kits laying around, and images of ones for WC4 with the Mythic content. Just a disc of assets magazines can reuse. Special versions were done when a mag wanted a specific render for their cover.

Back