Yet another WC4 victim, please help

Badger8th

Petty Officer
Okay, I'm getting the "missing movie" error. I have tried both Klite and CCCP packs, and as far as I know I'm not running a firewall, at least not a third party one. That covers the fixes I've seen so far. I will post my DxDiag as well.

Damn it, I just finished WC3 last night, really want to play the next one. Hope I didn't just piss away 6 dollars.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.4 KB · Views: 164
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Filter 0: Video Renderer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll
Filter CRC: 846ED5FC
Date: 2011-10-26 | 00:32:11
Filter 1: Default DirectSound Device

thanks so much for the quick reply

Is that the full output? It seems no video or audio codecs are being loaded at all.

Install K-Lite and do another test render, you should see a few more Filters show up there.

Is that the full output? It seems no video or audio codecs are being loaded at all.

Install K-Lite and do another test render, you should see a few more Filters show up there.

Okay, I reinstalled it and this time it showed more.

File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Filter 2: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
Filter CRC: A51FECEA
Date: 2009-07-13 | 21:15:46
Filter 3: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 14FB4DA7
Date: 2012-04-02 | 14:00:00
Filter 4: MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mpg2splt.ax
Filter CRC: 06876B76
Date: 2010-12-23 | 01:50:23
Filter 5: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Note: For File CRC, use CRC Check from the Tools Menu!

Ok, that looks reasonable. I would probably try to use ffmpeg instead of Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder, but only if there are still problems.

Can you get the game to run?

Ok, that looks reasonable. I would probably try to use ffmpeg instead of Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder, but only if there are still problems.

Can you get the game to run?

Not at all, it doesn't load anything and gives me the "can't locate SC.000xx.Vob"

how do I switch to ffmpeg?

Uninstall K-Lite and reinstall it in Advanced Mode. During installation, under the "Select Components" dialog, search for "DirectShow Video Decoding Filters" -> "MPEG-2, DVD" and choose "ffdshow (libmpeg2)"

(or, if you know what you're doing, you could use the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool to disable the MS codec, and the ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration app and enable "libmpeg2" under Codecs -> MPEG2)

If all goes well, you should be using the ffdshow video decoder.

Also, just covering the bases, did you overwrite dxmci.dll or mpeg2.dll on the Wing Commander 4 folder? If so, you should re-install the game.

Uninstall K-Lite and reinstall it in Advanced Mode. During installation, under the "Select Components" dialog, search for "DirectShow Video Decoding Filters" -> "MPEG-2, DVD" and choose "ffdshow (libmpeg2)"

(or, if you know what you're doing, you could use the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool to disable the MS codec, and the ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration app and enable "libmpeg2" under Codecs -> MPEG2)

If all goes well, you should be using the ffdshow video decoder.

Also, just covering the bases, did you overwrite dxmci.dll or mpeg2.dll on the Wing Commander 4 folder? If so, you should re-install the game.

Okay, I switched it to FFdshow like you said, but still no dice, same error as before.

I have not overwritten anything, this is a clean install

A few suggestions:

- If you have any kind of anti-virus / anti-spyware software installed, disable / uninstall it and see if it helps. Even if you don't have third party programs, you should have installed Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and/or Windows Security Essentials, so try disabling them temporarily to see if it helps.

- Are you running the game as administrator?

- Also try installing the game outside "C:\Program Files (x86)", something like "C:\games\wc4dvd" for example, just to rule out UAC folder virtualization getting in the way of something (it shouldn't be a problem in theory, but you never know)

- Also, go to the ffdshow video decoder configuration program and confirm that ffdshow mpeg2 codec is set to use the libmpeg2 decoder.

A few suggestions:

- If you have any kind of anti-virus / anti-spyware software installed, disable / uninstall it and see if it helps. Even if you don't have third party programs, you should have installed Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and/or Windows Security Essentials, so try disabling them temporarily to see if it helps.

- Are you running the game as administrator?

- Also try installing the game outside "C:\Program Files (x86)", something like "C:\games\wc4dvd" for example, just to rule out UAC folder virtualization getting in the way of something (it shouldn't be a problem in theory, but you never know)

- Also, go to the ffdshow video decoder configuration program and confirm that ffdshow mpeg2 codec is set to use the libmpeg2 decoder.

- I made sure to give it a windows firewall exception, I don't have Defender turned on and I don't have WSE, so no dice there. Disabled norton auto-protect, same deal.

- Yes

- I reinstalled it at C:/Wing Commander IV but no change

- Took me a bit to find it in K-lite but yes, libmpeg2 is enabled

After fiddling with it last night I discovered I can hit ok on the "missing movie" error and after mashing some buttons I will go into the first mission, so the game engine runs at least. Without the cutscenes though, she's quite useless.

After fiddling with it last night I discovered I can hit ok on the "missing movie" error and after mashing some buttons I will go into the first mission, so the game engine runs at least. Without the cutscenes though, she's quite useless.

Thanks, this is important to know! It shows that it is for sure a codec issue and not something related to the actual game itself. Curious, do you have any other DVD software players installed (not just codecs)? Something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD or something similar?

There used to be conflicts between PowerDVD and the game that would give the missing movie error. Running register on mpeg2dec used to fix it (basically giving priority to it over cyberlink's codecs). Could there be something else at play here that we're missing?

Thanks, this is important to know! It shows that it is for sure a codec issue and not something related to the actual game itself. Curious, do you have any other DVD software players installed (not just codecs)? Something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD or something similar?

There used to be conflicts between PowerDVD and the game that would give the missing movie error. Running register on mpeg2dec used to fix it (basically giving priority to it over cyberlink's codecs). Could there be something else at play here that we're missing?

I've never had any DVD software

Just checking, ffdshow now shows up as the video and audio decoders in Insurgent, right?

Try using the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool to disable the mpeg2dec filter (or unregister it) if you have it installed, to see if it makes a difference.

(By the way, could you upload another DxDiag? After installing K-Lite a number of new DirectShow filters should show up there)

Just checking, ffdshow now shows up as the video and audio decoders in Insurgent, right?

Try using the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool to disable the mpeg2dec filter (or unregister it) if you have it installed, to see if it makes a difference.

(By the way, could you upload another DxDiag? After installing K-Lite a number of new DirectShow filters should show up there)

Here's my latest Test Render:

File: C:\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Filter 2: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
Filter CRC: A51FECEA
Date: 2009-07-13 | 21:15:46
Filter 3: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 1F6B0636
Date: 2012-03-22 | 14:00:00
Filter 4: MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mpg2splt.ax
Filter CRC: 06876B76
Date: 2010-12-23 | 01:50:23
Filter 5: C:\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

For some reason it's only showing ffdshow for audio....
The K-lite tweak tool is pretty intimidating, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be looking for.

And I will post another DxDiag as well.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 135
I see in you DxDiag you have mpeg2dec registered, so I suggest going to the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool and disabling it, especially it if it is marked as broken (under Codec and Filter Management, click on the DirectShow (x86) button, then disable mpeg2dec like on the attached screenshot).

I noticed that in my machine mpeg2dec is marked as broken. Not really sure about the cause, but i installed / uninstalled a lot of codec packs during my tests, so it could be related to that. Although WC4 DVD still works perfectly here, I still suggest disabling this codec (as well as any other codecs marked as broken), as it could be causing problems for you.

Attachments

• codec_tool.png
    codec_tool.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 135
I see in you DxDiag you have mpeg2dec registered, so I suggest going to the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool and disabling it, especially it if it is marked as broken (under Codec and Filter Management, click on the DirectShow (x86) button, then disable mpeg2dec like on the attached screenshot).

I noticed that in my machine mpeg2dec is marked as broken. Not really sure about the cause, but i installed / uninstalled a lot of codec packs during my tests, so it could be related to that. Although WC4 DVD still works perfectly here, I still suggest disabling this codec (as well as any other codecs marked as broken), as it could be causing problems for you.

Ok, I did that. Still not working though :(

Well, came back to try some of the new patches posted on WCnews.com a little while ago but I still can't run the game. HCI, you still out there, willing to try anything else with me?

willing to try anything else with me?
If you run WC4 2000 DVD version (not GOG one), try replace its dxmci.dll with my version of one - see attachment: unpack all files to game directory. It is configured for maximum detailed log of DirectShow filters. Then, put this log (in game directory, there will be file(s) named like dxmci-wc4dvd-yyyymmdd_hhmmss.log) here and we'll try to diagnose problem.
Also, if you're familiar with graphedit or graphstudio, you can connect to game's filtergraph and explore it.

Attachments

• dxmci-maximum-log.zip
    61 KB · Views: 110
If you run WC4 2000 DVD version (not GOG one), try replace its dxmci.dll with my version of one - see attachment: unpack all files to game directory. It is configured for maximum detailed log of DirectShow filters. Then, put this log (in game directory, there will be file(s) named like dxmci-wc4dvd-yyyymmdd_hhmmss.log) here and we'll try to diagnose problem.
Also, if you're familiar with graphedit or graphstudio, you can connect to game's filtergraph and explore it.

Sorry man, I should have clarified, it's the GOG version. Bought it over a year ago and every once in awhile I'll reinstall it in the hopes of finally getting it to work.

Back