YET ANOTHER silly question...

The mission to save the Sao Paolo and the Breslau; SP always dies but Breslau survives...is Sao Paolo "save-able"?

NM

Yes, it is - the Sao Paolo has one surviving critical component, one of its engines. (The bridge and the other engine have already been torpedoed). Fly to the back of the Sao Paolo and concentrate more on intercepting inbound torpedoes and less on taking down enemy fighters. It doesn't pay to be too bloodthirsty on this mission; while the Grikaths are a prime target, you're likely to leave the Sao Paolo too vulnerable if you take a lot of time chasing down individual bombers.

Yes, it is - the Sao Paolo has one surviving critical component, one of its engines. (The bridge and the other engine have already been torpedoed). Fly to the back of the Sao Paolo and concentrate more on intercepting inbound torpedoes and less on taking down enemy fighters. It doesn't pay to be too bloodthirsty on this mission; while the Grikaths are a prime target, you're likely to leave the Sao Paolo too vulnerable if you take a lot of time chasing down individual bombers.

Thanks, Toast! I appreciate it; now let's see if I can do it...:)

NM

For the record, saving the Sao Paulo is supposed to be very difficult, so don't feel too bad. :p

Use the Navmap (CTRL-N) to locate and target bombers that have moved to the rear section of the SP. rotate the map some to get a good idea of how things look in 3D, not doing that confused me the first time I tried that mission. All enemies start to the forward side of the SP but a few will quickly move toward the rear, but due to how the AI works for torp runs (fly WAY, WAY out and then turn to start the run) it's pretty easy to intercept them as they start moving behind the SP. After each kill consult your Nav map to choose the next target.

Alternatively, since enemy fighter cover is relatively light you can park next to the SP's engine and gun down torps as they come in leaving it your wing to kill everything. I've never tried this strategy but I believe there are some posts somewhere on the forum here that discuss it.

-Starcrunch

Back