Yet another cry for help to get Privateer Running

Orcslayer

Spaceman
Hi all. Privateer is one of my all time favorite games. I had no trouble running it on my old Packard Bell Win 95 machine, but ever since I got my Gateway with Win 98 three years ago, I have been unable to run this game. I have tried many different methods, including:
Boot Disks
Startup Shortcuts
Copying the .tre files to my c: drive
'hiding' windows from Privateer in the windowed DOS mode

Let me show you the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat I am using, and then tell you the exact problem, and maybe, just maybe, someone can help me.

CONFIG.SYS

DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 8192 RAM
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:cdrom\cr_atapi.sys /d:mscd001
Files=40
Buffers=40

AUTOEXEC.BAT

Set tmp=c:\windows\temp
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\Eapci\audio
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
C:\Eapci\audio\APINIT.COM
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
Set Path=c:\Windows;c:\windows\COMMAND
rem c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001
REM LH c:\msinput\mouse.exe

I have tried to run the game without sound and it makes no difference, so I do not think it's the sound card (my card is an SB 64PCI) I am also running a Voodoo 5 5500 64 MB PCI, but I doubt that is the problem. For my joystick I am using the original Microsoft Sidewinder, which again, I don't believe to be the problem since I used it to play Privateer on my old system.
Currently I have the .tre file saved to my c: drive, because if I load the cd-rom there is not enough conventional memory for Privateer. In my current setup I have 597KB of RAM available, which I believe is supposed to be enough to run Privateer, even if only just barely. Here is what happens. When I type in 'priv' at the c:\privater\> prompt, the whole system locks up. I don't even see a flashing cursor like some other people mentioned, the system simply locks up. I read somewhere once that there is an inherent conflict between Windows 98 and Jemm.ovl, I hope that this is not the case or that it can be overcome somehow. If someone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Hi. I had trouble with Privateer as well, mostly having to do with too much RAM, smartdrive causing problems, and too little memory to use the CD. All I can suggest is that you try these lines:

Config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=5
fileshigh=20

lastdrivehigh=("D", or "E", or whatever your CD ROM drive is, but nothing too far out, as the lower the letter the more memory is reserved. If you are confident of running the game without the CD drive then use "C".)

stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem:eek:ff
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe RAM 16384

Autoexec.bat:

add "LH" in front of these lines:

C:\Eapci\audio\APINIT.COM
c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001

Also, as respects this line: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 , is I7 supported in Privateer? Mine is set to I5. Could you do that?

I am able to run Privateer from the CD and get full and proper sound and speech. Most of this help came from "Death." Good luck. Oh, because of the memory requirements, you will probably not be able to run Priv under windows, so use a boot disk.

Back