Yay!!!!

I plan to be flying F-35s and F/A-18E Super Hornets for the United States Navy when I enter the naval academy in 2007. With luck I'll be flying them in 2012 when I graduate flight school.

But for now, I'll settle with pilot lessons at Teterboro airport in New Jersey with a Cessna 182SP

Yowch. Fancy trainers. I'm already getting flak for training in a 172R from all the other people I know (the "You really ought to be doing it in a 150 or 152" routine).

Heck, I'd do almost anything to get to fly in an F-15 (my favorite fighter), but since I can't, I can get as pretty darned close by getting my license! That's what I look forward to. Sylvester, offer me a ride in your hornet sometime, eh? (It's no Eagle, but I suspect I'll be happy in any other fighter).

There was an A-4 Skyhawk for sale on Ebay not too long ago, all the parts were there. Just needed to be fixed up and would fly. starting bid, $25,000.00.

Congratulations! This is about all I know of flying:

The propellor is the little fan in front of the plane that keeps the pilot cool, that's all it does. You don't think so? Just watch, you can see the pilot actually start sweating when it stops.

That and, there are three things that are completely worthless to a pilot:

1. The Altitude above him.
2. The airspace behind him.
3. Half a second ago...

Sylvester said:
I plan to be flying F-35s and F/A-18E Super Hornets for the United States Navy when I enter the naval academy in 2007. With luck I'll be flying them in 2012 when I graduate flight school.

But for now, I'll settle with pilot lessons at Teterboro airport in New Jersey with a Cessna 182SP

I have a bad feeling about this...
:)

Maj.Striker said:
That and, there are three things that are completely worthless to a pilot:

1. The Altitude above him.
2. The airspace behind him.
3. Half a second ago...

Actually, the 3 most useless things to a pilot are:

1. Altitude above you
2. Fuel in the gas truck*
3. Runway behind you

* - except when you have a wing on fire.

As for a fighter jet - I've seen one on ebay from time to time, F/A-18A, old. Something like $1.5M in pieces, or $9M assembled and certified (a steal, I think). I suppose it would be hard for me to get it, since I'm Canadian, but I'm sure I can get someone to proxy buy it for me (at $9 million, it shouldn't be that hard). Now, getting the type rating for it...

(Nevermind the insurance - which is really what controls what you fly, how often you fly, etc.).

A guy named Bob Stevens drew the "There I Was" cartoons, about aviation humor, a lot of it about WWII. He did one once where an aircraft was sitting on the runway with smoke, skidmarks, and probably a part or two laying around. The pilot says to the co-pilot: "DAMN! That was a short runway!" Then the co-pilot says: "Yeah, but look how WIDE it is." Hilarious.

Sylvester said:

I plan todo the same
PS there was a Sylvester at the WW2OL forums that was joining the navy any relation?

Ripper said:
A guy named Bob Stevens drew the "There I Was" cartoons, about aviation humor, a lot of it about WWII. He did one once where an aircraft was sitting on the runway with smoke, skidmarks, and probably a part or two laying around. The pilot says to the co-pilot: "DAMN! That was a short runway!" Then the co-pilot says: "Yeah, but look how WIDE it is." Hilarious.

Damn. I can't remember, but I think I heard that the C-130 (or similar...) could actually stop and take off (with JATO) in about 200 feet or less (width of a nice wide runway)...

That was the Lockheed Test Bed. The big black C-130. They crashed that a few years ago. I was still on active duty at the time, so it was before 1997. I'm not sure about the specifics, or the time frames, but at one time it supposedly had JATO attach points in all sorts of wierd places and directions to get it off the ground real fast, and ones facing forward to help stop it real fast. Real strange setup. And U.S. Marine Corps KC-130F 149792 is the only C-130 to ever land on and take off from an aircraft carrier.

And the "WIDE" runway was about 5,000 feet "wide".

Dyret said:
I thought dyselexia would mess up your chanses of becoming a pilot.

What gauge reads: 00012 feet
Powell sees: 10020 feet

Powell: Cool! Lets try a dive... WTF! Is that the ground? Yes its the ground...
BOOM!

I'm not saying this to mock you, Powell, but having dyselexia is really, really dangerous when flying.
Well hell Im not a moron...okay I supose that is arguable

Quarto said:
Yeah, you better listen to Dyret, Powell - it must be true if he says it :rolleyes:.

1. Seriously, though. Firstly, it is clear that you have no idea how dyslexia works, Dyret.

2. unless I missed something, there's no indication whatsoever that Powell has dyslexia.

3. In short, don't be stupid :p.

Dyret is always right. :p

1.I dont suffer from it. so i guess your right.

2.He said so himself.

3.I'm working on it :)

All it really does is fuck with your head when reading in School and the end result is me projecting my anger on psych. I have a plan of dealing with this. ;)

Hey Congrats on the License man. Theres nothing better then flying. Let me ask ya though, stunt plane? Cesna? Military? Historical? Other?

powell99 said:
Piper Cherokee by 2008 I should be in the Navy flying F/A-18Es

Flattop flying huh? Nice, and your gettin a nice bird under ur ass there too... wish I could have done that... But my eye sight is so bad, all I couldve gotten was a private license.

Heh, same. Though, with my current day job, it means I get to stretch things out a bit. My eyesight will disqualify me for a Cat 1 medical, but in a few years down the road (it'll take me a while to work my way through the ratings... aerobatic, night, instrument, multi-engine...), and by then, I think I'd go for some laser eye surgery to get that corrected.

Much as I'd like to fly an F-15, I'll settle for a nice aerobatic one in the meantime (until I save up for one of the many old fighters on the market...).

*Gulp*. I just realized it's two days until I take my flight test... (and a few more hours after that when I get my license. If I can do it all on Monday, it would be exactly 1 year from when I started. That will be nice.)

Back