Yay!!!!

Ripper said:
Just don't forget the flaps and gear when you land. :)

And that's where training seems to diverge... kinda annoying at times, since I've been taught (and everyone else) to pull power and glide all the way to the ground. Then you watch some others and they always use full flap (for me, it's "flaps if high, power if low").

Ah well. (I ought to go study. My flight test's in a few weeks. *GULP*).

Here's some sayings I've been told -

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is where the plane can be used again."

and

"A good contest with fellow students to have is to see who has the lowest nose oleo dirt ring" :D

Remember how hard it was to land in Top Gun for Nintendo. It was pretty hard to refuel too. Not like in Prophecy where all you had to do was go near the Redeemer.

Congrats Powell, I remember when I saw the end in sight towards getting my pilot's liscence. And don't let these boneheads get you down, the closest most of them will come to flying a real plane is on Microsoft Flight Simulator.

You must remeber to point your craft at the FRONT of the Tiger's Claw. Else you'll crash and your shields will fail.

I actually have for real combat flying time in a USMC KC-130 during Desert Storm. A whole 15 seconds or so. Well, no one else was flying it. :D

I thought dyselexia would mess up your chanses of becoming a pilot.

What gauge reads: 00012 feet
Powell sees: 10020 feet

Powell: Cool! Lets try a dive... WTF! Is that the ground? Yes its the ground...
BOOM!

I'm not saying this to mock you, Powell, but having dyselexia is really, really dangerous when flying.

SonOfStorm said:
Congrats Powell, I remember when I saw the end in sight towards getting my pilot's liscence. And don't let these boneheads get you down, the closest most of them will come to flying a real plane is on Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I began my flight training nearly a year ago (officially, my first flight was end August, but that was the typical fam flight), and now with all this talk about pilot's licenses is making me dead nervous (preflight test coming up... tomorrow!).

Congratulations. Getting a pilot's license is something I always wished I had done, ended up going to truck school instead - damn.

Dyret said:
I'm not saying this to mock you, Powell, but having dyselexia is really, really dangerous when flying.
Yeah, you better listen to Dyret, Powell - it must be true if he says it :rolleyes:.

Seriously, though. Firstly, it is clear that you have no idea how dyslexia works, Dyret. It's not some major disability where you read and write every word backwards or some such. It's nothing more than a minor nuisance - there's hundreds of thousands of people out that that have dyslexia and don't even know it. Secondly, while I seriously doubt that dyslexia would affect someone's piloting ability, I also suspect that if it did, the effect would be positive - a pilot that knows he's got dyslexia would probably be more careful than an ordinary pilot. And thirdly, the fact that someone misspells a few words does not mean that he has dyslexia - unless I missed something, there's no indication whatsoever that Powell has dyslexia.

In short, don't be stupid :p.

Heck, you don't have to be dyslexic. I've misread my altimeter twice (nowadays I double-check it) since I've started. It's easy to do at times. And it's fairly nasty when it happens in the crowded airspace we have (5 airports nearby, with control zones abutting everyone else's...).

Ah well. I'm nervous as heck now - I've got a flight test next week.... ack!

sweet, congrats man, Im getting my license this summer through the air cadet program ( I get it for free, and they even pay me to get it!) Im starting groundschool on tuesday to be eligible to get my license which is sweet! ( hell the next dragoncon I can fly there :)

Back