Yay, putting together my new computer today!

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
All the parts came yesterday from newegg and my brother is gonna help me set it up. Now I can catch up on all the games I've been missing out on like WC2, Doom 2, and the Secret Of Monkey Island. ;)
My only concern is that I've got a Crosshair IV motherboard that advertises ATi Crossfire technology but I'm using an ASUS\nVidia 580 GTX video card. So I don't know if it will do SLI down the road or just fight with the card in general. I'm also running an AMD six core processor, but I don't think AMD would be dumb enough to build in some sort of conflict with nVidia chipsets, even though they do own ATi now.
But if everything goes to plan I will be wasting away all weekend playing Portal 2.

Yeah, portal 2 is awesome. Sounds like a sweet rig. If its crossfire, then it won't do sli, unless its one of those funky hybrid boards, sorry man. There shouldn't be an issue running a NVIDIA card in a crossfire motherboard, I am doing that right now.

Regardless of the motherboard chipset, you shouldn't have conflicts running mixed video cards if they run independently. If you actually want to use CrossFire or SLI, though, you of course need video cards of the same chipset brand.

Regardless of the motherboard chipset, you shouldn't have conflicts running mixed video cards if they run independently. If you actually want to use CrossFire or SLI, though, you of course need video cards of the same chipset brand.

I would be using two nVidia cards, if they would fit:(, but my motherboard is apparently a Crossfire board. My CPU seems to have arrived DOA and I've got to send it back before we can get the rig running. :mad:
But everytime I've had my brother build me a rig I've run into problems early and then it runs great and I don't have any further issues. So maybe, like Star wars, this is a good sign.

Sorry dude, 2 NVIDIA cards will not work in SLI in a Crossfire Board.
There won't (or shouldn't) be any issues running 1 NVIDIA card in a Crossfire board,

I am running a NVIDIA 260 in an ASUS P5Q deluxe as I type this.

I knew from the first reply I wasn't going to be able to pull SLI but when we actually plugged in my ASUS 580GTX we found that it is so long intruders on the hard drive bay by about a half an inch. So there is only one slot I can fit it in so that the half inch extra actually sits above and rests on the top of the bay.

Something similar in nature happened to me when I ordered a tuniq tower cooler for my CPU, took my pc to bits, installed it all, and then found the case side panel wouldn't close as the tower projected a good inch. Glad to hear you managed to resolve your issue, I ended up spending more than I wanted to on a new case ~~~.

The size issue isn't a hundred percent solved yet, because the CPU thing is kinda holding things up, but everything else looks promising.

just as an aside, does anyone know if it's possible to SLI together to different grade nvidia cards, like an 580 and an 8800. Because the main immediate use for SLI for me would be to dedicate one card for physics processes and the more powerful one for graphics. Obviously, I can't do it with the motherboard I've got but the thought occured to me while thinking about the space restrictions, because something an 8800 would be smaller and cheaper than another 580. Not to mention that it will be awhile before the games industry outruns my 580.

That's good to know. I'll have to read through that site and educate myself on this stuff. My brother knows a lot about building machines, he does IT for a computer training center, but he knows nothing about SLi or Crossfire.

Sorry shaggy, I mis understood what you were trying to do. If you want to dedicate the 8800 to physx with your 580 doing the graphics, you can do that with 180 drivers or more recent. You don't need to sli them to do this. I have not tried it myself, but there are various how to guides on the web

So two processors and thre motherboards later we finally got the computer working last night. We finally came to the decision that Asus's Republic Of Gamers motherboards have horrible manuals.

what was wrong? bad parts?

I have to be honest, I find ASUS to be either rock solid or total garbage with nothing inbetween. I have had some of my best, and also the worst, motherboards from ASUS.

Did you manage to get the 8800 dedicated to PhysX?

I have to be honest, I find ASUS to be either rock solid or total garbage with nothing inbetween. I have had some of my best, and also the worst, motherboards from ASUS

No kidding there, but this usually depended on the components and chipsets used. Intel chipsets with Intel CPU's have always been stable and excellent performers. However the ones with VIA/ALI/ULI and SIS chipsets, in combination with either
AMD or INTEL CPU's has always been terrible. This is however a thing of the past.

Back